Scale Alts ilvl to average BG ilvl

I’m sick of terrible random battlegrounds that are either stomp or get stomped based on the number of alts in a match.

Level 51-59 bg brackets are so much more fun because of this, as you know that all your allies or enemies will be around the same ilvl as you.

It sucks to camp, and it sucks to get camped. It feels like it’s always one or the other right now.

Alts are already generally bad at playing their classes. So who really cares if they get some items that give them the power to at least use their kit in a way that doesn’t make them completely worthless?

9 Likes

I support this, scale all players X item level, they do it for time walking dungeons event so it must be easy.

The PvP gearing system is not changing in 9.1, random bgs will continue to be trash for fresh 60 toons / undergeared alts.

The 50 - 59 bracket feels so much more balanced than 60, just because of gear.

4 Likes

It is almost like the sub end game brackets have a timeless charm about them.

What’s the objective of getting better gear if they did something like this?

You’ll still have more if you’re above the average ilvl of the game you entered. Say the average ilvl is 202, and you’re 226, you’re still 226 against some 202.

It’s still a big difference but it’s not as huge of a difference as 226 vs 170 or something.

1 Like

I don’t disagree that this sucks, especially as someone with a lot of alts I don’t even feel like leveling at this point. But the fix is not making the gear gap so big, which people have pointed out to Blizzard, even in PvE and it was dodged by Ion and turned into an answer to a different type of question. The power gap just in S1 of shadowlands gear wise was bigger than some entire expansions. I hate scaling, because I think it causes more issues when Blizzard can’t even address current issues. A catchup system would make more sense, even though they say they can’t do that but they can, they just don’t want PvE players complaining that PvP players are gearing quickly on alts.

The crazy thing is this same issue will happen next patch, because they didn’t address the biggest issue pvp players had, the power gap. It’s going to be the same, boosting will be even worse since now do you not only need the rating you need to maintain it every week. It’s just crazy. Doing a scaling system to me would be the laziest fix to an issue they caused and could fix ever.

It sucks that they indeed won’t do anything about it. I would like to PvP as a level 60, but right now, pvp is much better in the bracket before 60, because there is scaling.

My idea is that if they’re able to do it well over there, they should be able to do it well in the level 60 bracket too.

In my mind, it isn’t normal that at ilvl 220, I can just openly mock a fresh level 60 who’s trying to kill me.

Basically, I want everyone in the battleground to be strong enough to be a threat to anyone, because that’s the only way to make it so wins or losses feel deserved.

4 Likes

I think there should be a separate “Classic BGs” division where scaling is like the original Korraks.

I don’t think alts should have any particular advantage that new or returning players don’t get. And what I mean is new or returning players should have the same advantages as alts.

What you’re asking for is technically templates.

We’ve been through this.

And I’m pro templates.

#bringitback

Well I have done probably 12 EBGs today and Alliance was easily defeated in every one. The Merc system favours horde gearing up - Easy Conquest as horde then fast queue to rack up the Honor to upgrade -easy - no wonder Ally get stomped - mercs are only there for the Honor anyway and we face better geared opponents every time. Some of the maps need fixing too - That bottleneck at the Alliance end of Alterac complete with the sniper point Blizzard provided over the graveyard gives horde a pretty easy win every time once they figured out the tactics. So yes, something needs to be done.

You spent ~6 hours doing epic bgs in one day? Yikes.

Alliance get a 50% honor bonus, merc horde players don’t get that bonus, just the faster queue times.
Since horde get “easy conquest” though, how often do horde win vs alliance? Where is your data from? Your emotions?

If those mercs are only there for honor, why wouldn’t they want a win, which gives way more honor, plus more conquest? Are you saying most horde mercs just afk to leech honor?
Well I guess you’re making an argument against rated solo queue then! Players will just leech for rewards!

Most of the maps need/have needed fixing, so we can agree there.

People like you are the problem. You’re a negative person who goes in with a losing mentality. I win plenty of bgs and epics as alliance and rarely play my horde alts because I just prefer the ally races. You can’t win every time, and lying about stats doesn’t help anything.

consider an alternative, when the first korraks came out, everyone was scaled to the same ilvl, even if you were level 12 going against a 60, you were still the same ilvl. i leveled up all my alts in that and even made a few new ones and had a blast.

what if they made regular randoms and epics like this where everyone is scaled to the same level and item level, even sub level 60s, and everyone is in the same bracket.

2 Likes

This is it right here, Chromie Time currently uses a similar scaling system.
20s vs 49s in Epics, it works.
Building these characters is like a Hearthstone deck full of classic pcs/lore.
Hope that makes sense. :smile:
Korrak’s was greatest :100:, I am just not sure if there will be a focus on end game 60s making use of older expansions permanently.

Would it work? Yes! But at the cost of attention being taken away from 60s at end game progression, makes it seem unlikely.

Scaling + full access/use of previous assets is a win imo.

you could still get honor and conquest from wins, allowing you to buy pvp gear once you hit 60. from there you could push into rated to raise the ilvl of that gear if blizz is hellbent on keeping that system. however, if the main unrated pvp areas are all scaled the same, then the pvp ilvl progression system doesn’t matter if you only do unrated.

The Korrak’s system was endless fun, and morale was good.

1 Like

I agree that something needs to happen in this expansion. It seems worse than it’s ever been. It was really a surprise to go from thoroughly enjoying battlegrounds in the 51-59 bracket to hit lv 60 and the queue into the scheisse-show at level 60.

No wonder many new players try out PvP a couple of times and then just flat out give up.

Del, the temptation is to reply at that personalised level but let’s keep it respectful. Yes, I did over 6 hours on an alt in one day. The day after that I won four so I am guessing that the weekly quest to win the four BGs attracted the usual crowd who only use one old and losing strat. My data was simple - I played that many hours and the Alliance sides were easily crushed every time - that experience is not a lonely one. Other players online at the time made the same comment. You can also easily see the reaction to some BGs by the number of people choosing to take deserter rather than do that scenario (Wintergrasp Offense in particular). Regarding Horde mercs - those comments were made by horde mercs themselves- it is what they do. In my observations, most horde groups outgear Alliance for that simple reason. Having done many EBGs I can see the Alliance problems, maps, gear and really, really bad strats. Del - I am not a gamer God- you give me credit for ruining a system that needs balancing. Ion said in a recent interview that the imbalance came from historic advantages given to horde that don’t exist anymore; but the consequences live on to this day. So while it is a game, one side is more clearly the winner and that is from the top, not me. For myself, I try to offer my thoughts in each EBG where alliance players want to cling on to strategies that usually fail for various reasons; but you are really up against mindsets that cannot be changed in some people.

at least RANDOM bgs should have ilvl sync , arenas and rated bgs i can understand but random is where casual go for some “pvp” fun , only to get stomped and gy farmed

1 Like

I love that there is gear progression in pvp, but 158 to 226 is a MASSIVE spread, and it takes forever of just getting wrecked to get 197 honor gear which is not that great either, but it’s better than nothing.

And this is a game and it should be fun and I don’t really think grinding forever while always getting destroyed the second someone looks at you is fun gameplay.