San’layn/vampyr Elf ALLIED RACE Coagulated Megathread of Ideas{Re-VAMPed}

Yeah I think this is a great idea, very creative too. I like the visuals as well. I might modify the red ‘flames’ and maybe even do blood effects? Like a flowing blood mane that’s liquid but in a floaty-fashion? I can’t give any good examples of this off the top of my head, but hopefully people will get what I mean.

Oh yes, this is very important for sure. IT’s why I’m still sad there’s no mention of the San’layn at all with KAel’thas being a thing now, but who knows, it could come in the future! It’s a very important part of San’layn lore, though, regardless.

And ah yes, Lana’thel. My favorite WoW character. Sadly just a boss, though with a cool plotline, but I wish we saw more of her.

7 Likes

I’d like to see undead lynxes for the San’layn ground mount. Fiery eyed, midnight colored Lynxes with rotting patches of flesh exposing bone, monstrous fangs, torn ears, and flaming/bloody manes.

5 Likes

I support this

7 Likes

Bumping this thread cause Hordies deserve their undead / zombie elves one way or another.

And two fronts will increase on the odds so… either as an AR or a customization, this should happen.

Nah, San´layn should -just like Worgen- transform into a huge Bat cloud, that´s a classic as far as Vampire themes are concerned. Nothing better for a “mount” -or at least one of the flying types-.

Still waitingh for a yellow colored Hawkstrider, i mean I think they can manage a way to “hide” the obvious ripoff.

9 Likes

The would still need to make a secondary mount like they did for Worgen for mount collectors.

3 Likes

Hmmm… on that case I think I´d personally vouch for a Gargoyle. Seems unique enough -though the trick would be on the design of the Gargoyle.

BRB consulting Baal about Balkanic folklore that could be of help.

Also: Fallyn, how about adding a customization toggle option to have drops of blood falling from the claws on the hands? Similar to the old poison effect rogues used to have ( :sob: :sob: :sob: yes, I miss it SO freaking much, why did the devs removed it I´ll never understand).

5 Likes

Gods I really hope this is a thing someday, it’s something I want above all (well aside from the obvious aesthetics I’ve mentioned) for the San’layn. It just fits so well.

Yeah gargoyles are a great choice, I agree entirely. I just wonder if they’d “No-go” it since all AR mounts are land mounts. Though ‘gargoyle with tattered wings’ could work…

…but then you look at skeletal drakes with literal bones for wings and I suppose ‘tattered wings’ would be silly not to fly in WoW universe too. It’s a debacle I’m trying to think through and can’t sollve unless everyone gets flying mounts as well.

That sounds awesome as all hell! I love it. I didn’t think of that, that’s a super cool suggestion. I wish ‘aesthetic racials’ were more of a thing, to be honest. And yeah, I think I know what you mean? I joined in Cata and could have sworn I remember rogues having that at one point? But anyway it is sad that it’s now gone.

4 Likes

Cues cinematic involving San´layn acting like the bats in that infamous scene of “Batrman Begins”.

A racial that cause lose of control (maybe a fear?) while they look like a clud of bats… nice.

Well, maybe we should push Fen to make that infamous “flying racial” mounts thread. And go wild while at it.

Now in regards to Gargoyles I don´t think the wings would be an issue, maybe a desing that has the “wings” built from blood or something (so while they are in the ground they don´t look so obvious). Think the Pegasus that came with the Hearthstone game (happened in MoP if my memory is right. Wingless in the ground but when he flies the wings appear as an arcane magic effect).

Yup, used to exist in WotLK and in Cata. I´m still mourning it´s loss, it was one of the only unique things rogue-wise (when people comes to suggest “class customizations” I confess I go blank regarding rogues apart from this old visual effect).

Feel free to add the blood dripping effect to the OP ^^.

5 Likes

I just wanna say…

Keep it up.

1 Like

One creature of legend in at least the World of Darkness is an “Abomination,” or a Werewolf that is successfully embraced into vampiredom.

This is a truly cursed being, however, to go a slightly different route, maybe a bat-gargoyle hybrid? One with more of a bat’s head and face, the ears, and also keep it a little bit gargoyle, like a scary unholy union of night fright gone wrong? I just like the phrasing.

And yeah, give it the arms and wings and legs, maybe put the blood drip effect mentioned for poisons on this thing’s claws, and / or mouth, to boot? Keep it black and dark grey, give it purple wing skin flaps between the bones, and make said limbs the same as the rest.

I guess one other thing to consider is how the player rides their mount. I’d say sitting on the mount’s shoulders, least likely to interfere with the mount flying about and doing stuff. Some mounts should be able to attack, although coding this might prove difficult.

If not, that’s just another cool looking normal mount. Still, options abound.

If there’s a name needed for this thing, I’d just call it a Ruiner.

Edit: Is this a bad idea?

1 Like

I don’t think your ideas are bad at all! I dip in and out of the forums every so often and give replies when I feel like it, so sometimes I just don’t think to say anything. But yeah never feel discouraged, you have amazing ideas and a bright mind!

I think monster options could definitely be available! A good variety. The curse mutates in a variety of ways, as we’ve seen with the Blood Princes (bat-like ears) versus Lana’thel (wings) versus vampyr humans (glowing red eyes). I think that adding those gargoyle-like options could be cool. Kind of like the Stoneborn too.

Riding the mount could be difficult, but what about how players mount on the felbat, perhaps? I’m not sure, they are indeed different models, though.

5 Likes

God like it’s been said so many times, I long for the day we get actual wing ‘mounts’. The kyrian wings look so awesome it would be neat to get those in different colors. We have feathered wings, bat wings, now we have fairy wings, bones wings, etc…a flying ‘mount’ for San’layn could be just sprouting bat wings and flying themselves. If they can make Val’kyr and Kyrian fly they have the animations, it would just be a matter of sizing/rigging the model and animations for player-sized characters.

Also on the turning into bats…maybe a racial? Sort of combine a mage’s blink and demon hunter glide as a short-range teleport, but for all San’layn classes?

4 Likes

Since WotLK Classic is very likely going to be a thing someday, I thought it would be neat to see some features from Northrend revisited in Retail, which of course includes San’layn.

We’ve had speculation before that we could very well return to Northrend during Shadowlands, assuming that the Jailer might be trying to invade the living world (of Warcraft!) to take it over and there just happens to be an opening to the afterlife right above Icecrown Citadel. Moreso when there have been comparisons to the Jailer and the Lich King.

How possible that is, I don’t know. I’d be surprised at this point if we got another patch after the upcoming one, and the next patch seems like it make just take place within Shadowlands possibly. I suppose it’s possible that we’ll see a couple of zones with world quests, similar to the end of BfA. In which case, Northrend has a possibility of being reused for such a manner.

Aside from the Jailer’s minions, there still has been at least one necromancer cult around. Considering there should be undead stomping and besieging the living world (of Warcraft!), I imagine they would view it like a kid in a candy shop and be a factor should we come back to Northrend.

In such a case, we could see some factions back in the picture, including San’layn. I imagine some of the San’layn around could still be in Northrend. I don’t know where else they would go, and Northrend is pretty secluded for the most part where those who would view them as monsters would rather go somewhere a little bit warmer for their dream vacation.

As for motive in helping the Horde here, it could still be related to the San’layn reaching out to the Horde during BfA. Maybe an agreement was made between them at the time and there was more than just Dreven’s group, maybe they were working on something for the Horde during BfA and suddenly are in a position to earn some brownie points, or other such possibilities. Thus an opportunity for the San’layn to help prove their devotion to the cause by assisting with defending the areas being under attacked would be a good start to reintroducing Horde-friendly San’layn.

There is also the likelihood of Arthas somehow showing up in the Shadowlands, in which I’ve mentioned that the San’layn likely would love to give him a piece of their mind. If the Jailer was related to the Lich King in some way, which I believe he had some power of manipulating Arthas, then they also have a reason to help fight off his minions. Nothing like a fresh helping of revenge to start the day!

There is also Kael’thas to consider, since by then, he would learn of his followers’ fate as one of his sins in a way. Plenty could be done with this, whether it’s just a part of his story and someone else leads the playable San’layn faction or if Kael’thas becomes a San’layn also and leads them. As mentioned throughout this megathread, there is quite a bit you can do with this line of thinking.

Not only does it work for the context of Shadowlands’ events, but it helps tie up a loose end from BfA, possibly some other loose ends from previous storylines, and opens up the possibility of future storylines, as well as the investment of a new playable race which is a great long-term feature of the game. It also could help to generate interest in the game again to have something more familiar we work with as opposed to yet more cosmic forces in the afterlife.

Of course, we don’t know what to expect for the rest of Shadowlands, but even if nothing does happen, it doesn’t mean San’layn are a lost cause. We could still see it as a possibility for a future expansion. I still feel it’s worth to continue to give feedback for races we want playable. Otherwise, I wouldn’t be here if I felt it was a waste of my time.

We’ll see what happens, but I still think it’s important to continue to share ideas and support. Not a guarantee we’ll see it become a reality, but you never know what lies in the future. :wine_glass::bat:

7 Likes

All stats that I have seen show Blood elf as the most played race. It totally makes business sense for Blizzard to give the horde this new race based on the blood elf model’s popularity.

Love the cloud of bats idea for a mount!

I’ve always loved the old Windrider (Wyvern ) mounts. An updated version with glowing red eyes, longer fangs that have an option to drip blood, a saddle studded with red glowing weapons… option of tattered wings , takes off for flight in a cloud of bats or smoke…that would be a cool exclusive mount.

7 Likes

San’layn should be at best BASED on Blood Elves, I wouldn’t half-bake this AR, or race, however players can get access to it. I’d play a Horde SL, or S’L, … I think SL would be easier to type.

As far as other ideas, I’d figure year long Halloween Blood Elf gives the right vibe as a San’layn example. Basically, goth BE with a lot of dark hues, colors, and outfits that look like they belong to the Halloween time of year would go FAR with me.

I’d also like to figure that hair colors would be important. It might be dyed, however San’layn with Blue, Purple, Red, Black, Deep Blood Red, maybe a Red-Rose Red, although I’d debate this one, might be dyed too.

Still, I figure blue or green glowing eyes, start with Green for most San’layn, maybe a quest for blue, and change the game so both NE and BE eyes can be discernably different colors despite the glow coming from them.

That way, the BE / HE / VE divide can be addressed somehow meaningfully in game so that once done well, BE is Horde, HE / VE and if need be HE & VE can be Alliance, and the only difference is… allegiance. At least done well, along with the above mentioned quest chains to unlock your toon can go quest as the other faction might match up okay-ish.

I realize this is a touchy subject, so while I’m still percolating the idea itself, basically the idea is that BE’s, VE’s, and HE’s are all cousins, while SL’s are the ones that decide to never leave Halloween each year.

The general kernel of the B/V/H E’s would be that the race is mostly one large family, and those who hold the Horde banner are BE’s, the other parts of the family that support the Alliance are the VE’s and HE’s. So any faction change should be free and also the quests to unlock dual faction status would be intended to greatly help the character out long term.

I guess not shoehorning this thought into the game is going to be needed. I figure making it a quest line to show players the why, that BE’s are Horde, VE’s and HE’s if we ever get that far are Alliance, or just roll HE’s into VE’s and avoid the headache that is the call for HE’s as their own race. With just B/VE’s as the two around, that way people can quest or faction change as they alone choose. Again, for free for said faction change.

Hm… Ideas welcome here.

My initial take away on the dual VE/BE family being one large group would have a quest line where one relives the history of the BE’s, VE’s and HE’s, and then ends up explaining how the family as a whole has now over time settled into the BE’s on Horde and VE/HE’s on Alliance. This way, people that are asking for HE’s can see how the culture shifted. And yes, Silvermoon would be a faction neutral city for BE’s and VE’s, however some others that quest enough to get high faction standing would be treated as honorary BE/VE’s there.

I’m just mostly drawing a blank on what it means to provide meaningful examples of how the BE’s and VE’s realign into one big elf family. Low numbers comes to mind, the BE’s treat all VE’s as a bit too wild with their trust of Void abilities, thus why the VE’s are Alliance, while the BE’s may be a bit more lax and more trusting of VE’s that are more like the HE’s of old, and thus closer to BE’s in the current era, thus allowing the HE VE’s the chance to more openly do stuff in Silvermoon and most BE lands.

As far as VE’s, I’d figure they think they have the Void under control as a friend, and perhaps they do. Exploring that in game as the VE’s continue to advance and train with their Void powers would be a chance to treat and really give the VE’s a lore chance to shine on their own. BE’s and their take on it might be a bit more concerned with Fel and Nature magic, along with the more normal Arcane and its pursuits.

San’layn would be a welcomed cousin to the BE’s, and the VE’s might see them as the more DH esque side of the race, the ones that either can’t or won’t leave All Hallow’s End each year, for both what they are and what they do…

Food for thought…

Edit: If I WERE to add HE’s, I think it’d be as a race free to choose like the Pandaren, so start as neither, then choose either A or H, however at doing so, the quest chain to adventure as the two factions would be available as a quest to get for later. That way, in my mind, it would seem the HE’s would be more evenly split between the factions, however having the full notice of being free to go earn the right to quest as either faction, or at times as both factions, would certainly help the game overall. It would also make things easier to establish cross faction groups and raids, for any content.

This should only aid the game as long term it looks like Cross Faction parties, raids and other content could be made where combined raids might actually just do better with CF forces, and I’m thinking places like raids where having the players of both factions working together may result in more progress on all ends. Combined H/A raid groups pressing content is “just” something that to me seems like time only until it happens.

2 Likes

Zovaal was behind all of it. He oversaw the creation of the Helm of Domination as well as Frostmourne and the armor. The dreadlords that manipulated things were working for Denathrius that were working for Zovaal. Even Bolvar tells you that there was a more sinister presence in the Helm, that being Zovaal.
so basically Arthas was manipulated into being the Lich King in an attempt to likely get at the world soul after Nerzhul failed. It wouldn’t surprise me one bit if Arthas makes an appearance, especially witht he “wait and listen” text with Uther talking about how he knows what he did to Arthas (casting him into the Maw) was bad). There’s been a lot of little visual/story parallels between Arthas and Anduin as well.
So knowing Zovaal was all behind the Lich King, then it’s not all that hard to say Arthas was just a puppet in the same way that the any undead bound to Arthas was. That’s the whole point behind the Domination magic.

I’d like to see Arthas revisted and more of his story told, same as we’ve been getting with Kael’thas. They were both popular characters. I get flack for it, but I wouldn’t mind seeing Arthas return to the throne of Lordaeron. Kael’thas could lead the San’layn.

3 Likes

I think Blizzard needs to first figure out where the story is GOing in Shadowlands, however if done right yes, Arthas for the Forsaken and Kael’thas for the San’layn would be sweet.

I just don’t hold any faith anymore in the Blizzard development department. Story has always been their biggest weakness, and right now it’s glaringly bad how much so.

4 Likes

I kinda jokingly said to myself one night that Bolvar will have to take Zovaal’s place after we defeat him because there must always be an Arbiter of the Dead!!!

…then I realized that wouldn’t actually surprise me.

2 Likes

Except this time, he doesn’t even get a chair.

1 Like

Maybe he could use some chains to make a swing?

1 Like