San’layn/vampyr Elf ALLIED RACE Coagulated Megathread of Ideas{Re-VAMPed}

I have a feeling Lightforged Undead are coming. At first I thought for the Alliance (months ago), but now I am leaning toward Horde :-/

I guess some Horde that wanted Undead Paladins may be happy at least?

Thus far, the ritual hasn’t been shown to be repeated yet. Not to mention, Illy’s prophecy speaks of trouble on the horizon most likely for Calia. Personally I find it to be a great lot of nonsense that an Alliance leader has to come in and take over a section of the horde, it has to be the biggest spit to forsaken lore I’ve seen thus far.

I’m going to keep hope until Blizzcon. But if they indeed get models and seem more likely than San’layn, I might be gone for good, for that indeed would be my final straw. Roleplay and lore mean quite a bit to me, and giving the Horde a mary-sue race that’s clearly ‘better’ than the original in terms of being ‘perfect, can do no wrong’ would tick me off, as someone who likes story. BfA as it stands has already chased me off for several months.

5 Likes

I … really doubt it. With Calia’s FIRST words to Lillian being her reminiscing about friggen Benedictus Voss (you know a High Priest of an Undead Hating cult who attempted to execute his own daughter for simply being Undead) … pretty sure Calia is getting settup for an Alliance Undead AR (she’s going to invalidate herself as leader of the “Forsaken” at some point).

On the other side of the fence, we have the Undead NEs (as well as MANY apparent lower ranking Banshee Dark Rangers) who have done little to nothing … and are just sort of awkwardly lingering around on the Horde side. If I had to hazard a guess on WHO the Forsaken AR will be … it will be the Undead Elves in some way (though, honestly, I wouldn’t actually mind them aesthetically if they were based off the Nightfallen rigs … they’d look good with an undead skin).

5 Likes

I hope you guys are right. I have wanted undead elves of some kind for a long time. San’layn just seem perfect for so many reasons…

Anyway, we’ll see what happens. Soon. Very soon.

6 Likes

Well, we’ll see. I’m fairly convinced that with Genn’s role on Kul Tiras being the equivalent of Rokhan’s on Zandalar (and the human lineage of Kul Tiras stemming from Gilnean Sailors), the Kul Tirans are meant to be the GILNEAN AR. Now we have what effectively amounts to GnomeBORG (Gnome AR) and Goblin Fursonas (Goblin AR), that really only leaves two core races (minus Pandas) without a corresponding AR (Humans of SW and Forsaken).

The only hints we’ve had to fill these roles thus far are the largely unused Calia Menethil and the Forsaken Kaldorei. AND considering we seem to be leading into a DEATH themed expansion … I could easily see it being justified that both remaining ARs being DEATH themed.

2 Likes

That’s an interesting take. I always figured Kul’Tiran were the Human allied race, but if not… hmmm.

1 Like

I really hate the idea of Forsaken Kal’dorei, personally. It’s so left field and…we already have the Night Elf model via Nightborne and Male Zandalari. We really don’t need a third, especially one pulled out of nowhere with little to no lore backing it up.

And yet, it still would be better than the ridiculous concept of LFU, I guess. I still wouldn’t be a happy camper at all, though. If they were added to a grabbag of undead elves through, I.E.: Banshee, Undead Night Elves, and San’layn, I’d be fine. It’d kinda stretch thin the lore we’d get for all three though, which would be disappointing. Not to mention lackluster customization most likely, and racials that wouldn’t really fit at least one of the trio (or more).

5 Likes

Yeah … I’m not too thrilled with it either, but considering they just were sort of created (and lingering around) … and Blizz isn’t above just creating NEW races … I see them as a possibility.

On the other hand, I wouldn’t mind them aesthetically if they ended up getting based off the Nightfallen Rigs (rather than what they are now). The Nightfallen always sort of reminded me of what I’d think an Undead Elf would look like (rather than remaining arbitrarily pretty like Elves do).

As for Light Undead … meh. They exist in fantasy, they just happen to be mummies (and considering Calia’s bandages all over her arms … I’d buy them going with that theme).

4 Likes

San’layn just blow Lightforged Undead and Night Elf Undead out of the water in so many ways.

What a gigantic loss if they are made and San’layn aren’t.

10 Likes

If they’re going with mummies, I’d way rather see the mummy trolls we find in the Zandalar dungeons myself. I think those would at least be more accepted than something pulled out of nowhere. I’d be alright with those, even if I wouldn’t roll them (not a troll fan). Those and the icetrolls or undead trolls in general.

Or undead Vry’kul, those would be a good contender if we’re talking as an aside from SL, but that’s beside the point you’re making; what you’re saying does make sense, as much as I really hope it doesn’t come to be, and I see so many other better options out there than either undead NE or LFU.

But in the end we’ll have to see, there’s not going to be any hints until Blizzcon, I’m almost certain. Like I said, October 31 would have been a perfect time to announce an undead race. Alas! It isn’t meant to be.

4 Likes

And honestly, what a tease to have San’layn come back just to leave so quickly.

I know factions come and go, but what a waste of a great race if they aren’t playable.

12 Likes

I don’t know… the models look good and all but it would be a third blood elf skin, and the second edgy one, and I’m not sure if the game really needs that.

Maybe they could roll the San’layn customization options into blood elf/void elf DK options in the future?

Ok, let’s say for argument’s sake that we get, as an allied race, the undead Night Elves that Sylvanas rose against their will, where they became brainwa-err, I mean totally of their own free will and not an indomitable will decided to join her. Right, well, Sylvanas is gone and if we assume that the undead Night Elves snapped out of it…what happens?

I don’t see them staying with the Horde, and I’m assuming what ones there are would go back to the Night Elves, since the Alliance appears to be learning the true meaning of Winter’s Veil in accepting undead brethren, and they all are happies and sunshine and puppies in being back!..what then?

Where exactly would their story lead? Would they just fall back as a unit, brought up randomly by a NPC or so that laments dying but is happy to be back on the Alliance? It doesn’t make any sense for them to be on the Horde, so…what would happen story-wise?

I personally don’t see much of anything happening beyond that, and this is assuming the remaining undead Night Elves aren’t still under Sylvanas’ control and may act as jobbers we kill when we fight against Sylvanas. Even if they would join after we free then, I don’t see much of interest happening with them, especially given that the Horde and Alliance are heading to another moment of peace.

Whereas with San’layn, you have many things to go with. Their vampiric state, their former lives, their ties to Silvermoon, their quest to actually survive, having been slaves to Arthas for so long and trying to fit into this crazy world (of Warcraft!). I could go on, but having them join the Horde is far more interesting and can lead to many different storylines, quests, and offer a different point-of-view on who they are and what they’ve become since being free.

…and don’t get me started on the whole Lightforged Undead and the problems they present. Puts a whole new meaning to “holy crap” to me. -grumble grumble- <- <;

3 Likes

Hey Fallyn. Just letting you know it’s dia de los muertos those days. (day of the dead) a fitting holiday for a death expansion. When we celebrate the dead.

4 Likes

Yeah true that, would be very ironic if they did announce a death-like expansion on that day. I think skeleton customization for forsaken would be neat, and then a San’layn allied race would really make the day for me. Hopes and dreams to be shattered of course. I’m not going to keep my expectations high, though. We might have datamined stuff in Northrend, but it looks only like Death Knight stuff. Which is wonderful, don’t get me wrong–we might be getting 4th gen Death Knights. But if there’s still no sign of San’layn, I doubt we’d see them at Blizzcon.

But, then again, void elves are a thing, and Nightborne too even though they weren’t the most relevant at the end of Legion. So… hm. DID and MG also aren’t that relevant but people wanted to play them. So, all of those could be used in that, at least.

I am not getting my hopes up tbh. I have been disappointed before with the playable naga leaks before Legion : /

Anyway I am excited. I have heard some leak stuff which is probably fake. My favorite was the class skins idea. Earning different spells for your classes similar to allied races. So I do hope that becomes true but I doubt it would happen. I would be excited to see San’layn. I love them in the game they are pretty good. I also wouldn’t mind some other races but I fear I won’t have enough character slots to try them all : /. I do hope they announce a way to bump that up.

I also wouldn’t mind a way to just change your race from the ai with like a toy or something. That would make allied races much more cool if you could change it freely for whatever you unlock. (ignoring lore just a gameplay feature I would like).

As for right now I’m thinking maybe the shadowlands leak may be partially true and maybe they had a change of idea since then and changed many things but We have 2 weeks to see. They said they are working on community requested races so I’m hoping we don’t have to wait too long to see more : )

(mogu and tol’vir may be a new race if the new factions show us anything)

I’m more concerned about the lore, though. Class and race “Skins” seem ok, but if it’s anything like Night Warrior, hard pass. It was abandoned, and I want the vampyr concept and San’layn lore actually explored, not given ‘just because it looks cool’ because that would be pointless. At that point, I’d rather have nothing at all if we’re just going to be appeased and then brushed aside for customization.

If they can add viable lore with it, though, and flavor, that’s fine. With how Night Warrior was handled though, I’m very hesitant.

1 Like

Oh I meant class skin as in Druid= dragonsworn.
Rogue- warden
Shaman-dark shaman
warrior-battle mage

Stuff like that.

Although I think they tend to elaborate on lore after most races are included. For example goblin lore hasn’t really been elaborated with. Or vulpera.

2 Likes

True, but even a little bit of general lore would be fine, like where have they (blood curse in general) come from, where did they go, (where did they come from cotton-eyed joe). Also, how to make new ones, and how their odd hierarchy works.

But yeah those do sound cool ^^

4 Likes

Has blizzard made a reply to this thread or previous threads? With so much content it would be nice to know what they think. And if it isn’t going to happen it’ll be nice for them to say, “sorry guys but all your work is for a lost cause.”

5 Likes