San’layn/vampyr Elf ALLIED RACE Coagulated Megathread of Ideas{Re-VAMPed}

Super happy for the Vulpera folk today ^^ I think we all saw that one coming though :stuck_out_tongue:

And yes those demonic vampires are interesting, but I’m not a gigantic fan. Mostly because they look like, well… less than savory. They could still clue in on how the vampires might work in the future, though. If the curse is demonic in nature, that’d be interesting.

Though consider me this. What if it’s like the worgen curse, where the magic is nature? After all, I keep seeing people mention that’s what blood magic is. Could be some haywire nature thing as well.

2 Likes

Holy crap holy crap… I was not expecting the new content reveals today!

Looks like we’re getting all the void stuff out of the way for 8.3. Next expansion’s gonna be all about death. Keep an eye out for Blizzcon and beyond for the return of the San’layn!

1 Like

Hmmm, you think? I sincerely hope so. I know Vulpera were extremely popular, but I have a feeling they were planned for a while judging by how many player animations they had. Not sure how much the community had a play in their eventual confirmation myself.

Who knows though! Glad we finally got some Allied Race news. Weirdly enough… it is keeping up with the trend.

Goblin >> Vulpera
Gnome >> Mechagnome

Could it be, therefore:
Undead >> San’layn
Worgen >> ?? Saberon, Night elf Worgen, Sethrak…

If those trends are in fact correct, it could be. Though the thing is, Blizz emphasized it wasn’t, as I recall, and they weren’t restricted that way. Big hmm.

Also we know that rig doesn’t really determine things completely–the Night Elf rig was used TWICE for Zandalari AND Nightborne.

3 Likes

From what I can tell, the threads started popping up immediately after the initial Battle for Azeroth announcement, and Vulpera were steadily improved upon over the course of the last couple years. Their models were updated, their animations tweaked, and their gear adjusted. I do believe the devs look into threads like these, if only to inform future plans and predict the “hype” behind them.

And if I had lost faith in the eventual arrival of our vampire overlords, I would have left a long time ago :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Actually, only the MALE Zandalari Trolls use the Night Elf Male rig. Females use the same rig as their Female Darkspear Troll cousins.

True, but it still shows that they don’t have to use the ‘rig’ of their parent Allied Race in order to be one, you know? KT are an example of that as well.

Therefore, the ‘undead AR’ (if there is such a thing) won’t have to use the forsaken rig and could use a Thalassian model (modified) for example. Or an entirely new one.

Really hoping they don’t drop the ball for the undead Allied Race if there is such a thing. If they’ve been paying attention to the threads, perhaps they’ve been looking at this one too.

Really hoping some of our ideas make it.

6 Likes

Well, two more ARs down. Only 3 left to go!

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/440735878386679819/630879440699785256/unknown-8.png

…Bad news though.

2 Likes

Arg…

Here’s hoping this amounts to nothing.

Not gonna lie, San’layn would get me to play Horde if they were like that model in the gif.

4 Likes

My hopes are really starting to get killed, I’m going to admit, especially seeing that. Lightforged Undead now seem more likely than San’layn, which have gotten no story since 8.0. Meanwhile, LFU just keep getting more and more lore and backstory. They’re constantly being built.

Calia is the only one thus far, but if she goes to lead the forsaken, what then? The only thing I can see which would be a major twist is if she ended up bringing in the San’layn to be allies of the forsaken.

Which definitely would never be a thing. Why would she care about some vampire elves in need of a home? And now, it seems like the Forsaken are going to be handheld by an Alliance character, one in close league with Jaina. We lose a Horde leader only to be replaced by one from the Alliance?

Not many are asking for Lightforged undead, but that won’t stop them one bit. Look at Void Elves and Mechagnomes (no offense, am happy to those that wanted mechas, but they weren’t as heavily emphasized.) They pulled void elves completely out of the blue, and can do the same for… this.

It just irks me as someone who really loves the undead theme. We could get:

1. Undead Vrykul
  2. Banshee
  3. Val’kyr
  4. San’layn
  5. An intelligent variant of giests, abominations, or ghouls
  6. Mummified trolls
  7. Zombified Goblins even

And yet… this is on the table. I don’t believe it.

2 Likes

It’s… it’s just an assassination planned by Voss. Nothing to worry about.

hand creeps towards panic button

EVERYTHING IS FINE I SWEAR!!!

3 Likes

Looks like the Forsaken’s identity is about to be gutted. It happened to the Blood Elves so at the very least you will have some people who know what you will be going through.

Why did they say this and get our hopes up.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/440637178477805570/558153600396820491/WoWScrnShot_032119_005201.jpg

I wish they just villain batted them and were done with it so we didn’t have to sit here hoping. But this one image, this one line has held me to having so much hope that it’ll progress to something. Yet it hasn’t been visited at all, and Calia and her Lightforged nonsense are getting more and more lore.

I don’t know if there’s anything more to suggest for San’layn, honestly. We’ve speculated so much, have come up with so many ideas, but I’m just drawing a blank at this point.

I wish they were just polite enough to tell us, “Don’t get your hopes up.” They did it for mogu, Wildhammer dwarves, blood trolls, and high elves. Why not for San’layn?

2 Likes

Yeah, if they’re planning on just tossing our ideas away, I’d like to know so that I can stop responding to this thread and bothering. I hate being strung along like this, and every piece of lore that comes out for Calia and her nonsense just digs that hole deeper.

It happened with mechagnomes and Sethrak. They should have told Sethrak people to not get their hopes up as well. But both San’layn and Sethrak are now in limbo with some clearly false hopes(in our case more than Sethrak), as confirmed the more lore on Calia comes out.

It’s starting to become blatantly obvious that they’re going to find some way to replicate the lightforging process and then make a race out of it with Calia as the leader. Despite the fact that most people haven’t asked for it, and some really hate the idea (myself included), they’re going to do it anyway.

I work hard on coming up with my stories and trying to keep the hype up. But if we’re going to just be shoved aside for this Lightforged Undead stuff, I’d really like to just let them continue whatever story it is they want to write and stop wasting my efforts.

They don’t even run QnA anymore, nor have they ever answered San’layn related questions. I feel like at this point the community we’ve built is as good as nothing to them. It might not be true, but that’s how it feels. They’ve acknowledged the Vulpera, the High Elves, the Wildhammer stuff, pretty much many other allied race ideas already. But this one? Not a word.

Heck, we don’t even have to get San’layn as the undead race for me to care. I listed off plenty before that would be more than reasonable to the aestetic. I might not play any of which I mentioned, and obviously I favor San’layn. But any of that is better than just obliterating the identity of the undead for what Calia is.

5 Likes

When was the blood elf identity gutted?

Horde Pride and Identity certainly is getting a kick in the gut before getting spit on.

I don’t want to derail the thread so I’ll just be quick. After their inclusion in BC they lost what made them Blood Elves. They traded their magical addiction theme for a Light based theme and villain batted their leader.

So if Calia happens there could potentially be a very similar case.

I disagree with that description because reasons but I won’t go into that because you’re right; it’s not really worth discussing in this thread.

The atrocity of Calia becoming head of the Forsaken, however, is something I will definitely agree with you on. The entire identity of the forsaken is that they are victims of prejudice who commit horrific atrocities to strike back against a world that hates them. Sylvanas’s backstory directly linked her to the struggle of the Forsaken, and their entire culture was built around worship to her.

Is she now to be simply tossed aside in favor of an Alliance-aligned princess who gave up her claim to the throne of Lordaeron years ago?

Calia is not “Forsaken” in any sense of the word. She was never abandoned, never shown prejudice for her condition, never struggled to survive. She is antithetical to everything that the forsaken are.

What I hope happens is that Calia attempts to become the Forsaken’s leader, only to realize how out of touch she is with the people. The resulting power struggle, and the resentment the forsaken feel over an Alliance puppet trying to control them, is something that can fuel additional inter-factional conflict.

After all, if you’re a Sylvanas supporter and you patrol Orgrimmar you get tons of whispers from forsaken banshee loyalists that affirm their support to the Dark Lady. It’s safe to say that not everyone will be keen on supporting a puppet crafted by Anduin.

1 Like