San’layn/vampyr Elf ALLIED RACE Coagulated Megathread of Ideas{Re-VAMPed}

Refresh my memory - was anything about this San’layn connection to the Horde presented to Horde players during the story? Or were they antagonists for the Alliance, solely?

They are just assets. From two races that share a freaking heritage. In ff14 they got like 25 hairstyles for each race, 2 subrace categories for each race. And like 100s of colors to choose from. Them sharing hair colors or hair styles isn’t a big deal.

Maybe a solution for gothic/punkish styles would be a swap with some other horde races, like forsaken, if we’re ever granted Dark Rangers/San’layn/Felbloods in the future. Who knows! One could only hope. Or of course, like you said, creating new punkish/gothic styles as well. I could make many suggestions here for it, not gonna lie. :stuck_out_tongue:

Male night elves got one of the hair styles I have for my OCs and I’m still like “Argh”.

Horde saw nothing about San’layn on their side of the story in BfA. There was one instance where you could go onto the ship as a Horde character, and the San’layn units would be green, or friendly. But you’d need to go out of your way to actually see that.

3 Likes

You don’t seem to understand my request. I want something new added to the Blood Elves that cement the future of their race, preferably dark ranger or San’layn features. The current way of doing things, which is sharing assets, causes friction and demands from one side to the other. This could alleviate that altogether by removing the access from the other.

That way, void elves can keep their uniqueness and blood elves have something new that they can’t take.

3 Likes

I think this is fair, and while I really do want some styles from void elves, can also see why you wouldn’t in that case. I would really hope that someone on the team is working on new hair styles in that regard if we get such options.

2 Likes

They posted a thread about the new customizations coming.

Now would be a good time to shoot some suggestions/ideas.

Especially simple and easily implemented ideas like Hair/Eye/Skin/Jewelry colors or NPC options.

The worst that can happen is that they see people want them.

4 Likes

I mean I wouldn’t mind that, light tattoos since we got a holy part of the sunwell. That would be good for the holy users. Blood elves delve into many magic schools so magic tattoos of every magic should be there thing. In lore blood elves were said to have runic tattoos. We never got that customization. Highelves too had tattoos.

Demonhunter tattoos for example are used for magic protection. Blood elves have botanists which were mages that studied life magic. We got warlocks that studied fel and shadow. Shadow priest studying void, a sect of them being void elves. I wouldn’t mind the 6 school forces being some customization options for the future of the void. Those sorts of lightforged customization could also be class specific stuff like we see demonhunters and death knights get.

2 Likes

Here’s context: https://imgur.com/a/T16V9FZ

(Had to hunt that down)

4 Likes

That was my recollection, and reservation. Firstly, let me just say that I’m always going to be a proponent of more options for customization - I’m not knocking the concept at all. And the association with the Horde is present. As someone who might consider themselves a Horde “traditionalist,” however… the addition of San’layn would paint us as evil, outright. Granted, I also said the same for Undead and Blood Elves.

But I suppose the writers themselves see us as evil as they made each and every one of us complicit in genocide, so that might be a point in favour of San’layn.

2 Likes

While I don´t like the undead theme as a Belf thing -not related lorewise speaking, should go to Forsaken-, you know I´m ok with venues that can open the chance to get similar customizations for both undead and alive elves on Horde.

But yes, witness the Helfer crowd demanding Lightforged Belves… ofc just to poach them after as some “Helfer RP thing” or something.

2 Likes

That’s the thing, I’ve presented lore ideas about San’layn not being evil. I’m not wanting evil San’layn at all - far from it. I hate playing evil characters. It’s why the biggest hurdle to San’layn being playable is the lore, and the responsibility of the writers to actually write a good story for the first time in a while.

San’layn are undead with free-will; they are not just one, coagulated unit, a hive mind, and such like that. I hate the idea of ‘every member of this race is evil’. That’s why I like Horde Orcs & Forsaken–traditionally, they are seen as ‘evil’, but Blizzard turned that on its head.

Same with Death Knights, a story I really enjoy.

Therefore, in reality, I’m really hoping they don’t go with any sort of ‘evil’ plotline. I want a story like Death Knights for the San’layn. I thought they were presenting it as such in BfA with Dreven and them needing a home, but that wasn’t the case, clearly.

Since the undead with free will are not a hive mind, I’m really hoping for a hidden faction of them who want to help the Horde and rejoin their people.

To be honest, I want them as an Allied Race above all, but a forsaken toggle would be alright too if they start adding toggles. But yeah… the lightforged thing people are pushing grinds my gears so much.

5 Likes

Not really since void elves and blood are essentially right now a form of neutral races. We have now both sides getting high elf customization. Void elf stuff exclusively on alliance, blood elves have stuff on horde that aliance don’t get (right now its demonhunter customization, fel elves via demonhunters, paladin stuff (holy eyes)). If you have seen my numerous posts I support San’layn stuff and dark ranger stuff for horde for a good while now.

But the hairstyles themselves could be sharable assets. Blood elves would get the non-void versions. Blood elf males are lacking facial hair options. The void elves have some attractive short hair options that blood elves could use. Right now the 5 natural hair colors that are being given to high elves are mostly limited, they should give them all the blood elf hair colors imo. Give blood elves void hair colors and hairstyles (without the voidy bits). The hair colors are blonds and reds. No browns or blacks which the void elves could use imo. I have black hair irl, I love brown hair, those won’t be options for void elves why?

My void elves have brown skin, the dark brown hair would have been appreciated. These hair colors they added won’t really work well with those colors. I just think them sharing assets would make blood elves better too. Love the purples and blues the void elves get. The dark stormy colors. The facial hair options for males. The wavy hair on females.

And I feel void elves are like the second iteration of nuetral races. We see pandaren sharing all assets. They have a ton of options, ton of faces, tons of eye colors and they are on both sides, share 100% customization. When they planned to add them they wanted faction differences which they never added. They did add faction differences for nightborne and void elves though.

1 Like

I see no problem with having some Void Elf hairstyles given to Blood Elves so they can have more of a ‘goth’ styled Blood Elf character.

Hairstyling is not something that needs to be so faction locked save for a few examples.

Blood Elves got VE beards and a Kul’tarin hairstyle in the first pass and that didn’t break anything. Though they edited them a bit to make them more “Blood Elfy”.

4 Likes

When the San’layn were under the control of Arthas as the Lich King, I could understand them being the way they were because of his control over them.

When we beat up Arthas and kicked his hiney to the Shadowlands, the San’layn should’ve regained some semblance of who they were like how the Forsaken did. I don’t see why this wouldn’t be the case, unless the vampyr curse is more complicated. Sure, some of the San’layn might be corrupted with power they have, but not everyone of them would be seeking power like some of the blood royalty.

And thus the potential for them as a playable Horde race increases. There is a lot you can do with this line of thinking, and their plight would make them fit in the Horde very well. They can be more than just monsters they were created to be, as well as adding some flavor to that character creation screen.

Of course, I’ve gone over this a lot in this megathread in more elaborate ways, but it’s one of the big reasons I support San’layn as a playable Horde race. Hopefully Blizzard will be considering our feedback and we’ll be seeing races people want to become playable in the near future.

But in the meantime, I’ll still support Horde San’layn as best as I can. :wine_glass::bat:

7 Likes

Let´s put it this way Drede:

IF “sharing” hairstyles is the excuse devs will use to continue their procrastination in regards to more lore-friendly Belf customizations (runic tattoos / scarifications, scars, warpaint, red eyes, etc.), then feel free to keep them, cause I rather get venues to properly customize my BLOOD ELF than to get Velf lookalikes I havve no care for.

Simple as that.

1 Like

They can add new stuff, but those assets already exist and could be put in quickly tbh is what we are saying. Those assets are already made.

My thoughts exactly.

And I´m telling you: I don´t care for “reused asets”.

I don´t think it´s fair to tell Belf fans “yeah, conform with Velf reused asets and don´t bother us” when NONE of the other core races has this issue ffs. That alone talks about the entitlement of the people that wants to reduce the race to Pandaren lite indeed and just want copy/pasted stuff to play some weird version of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde with their WoW toons.

Awesome, then how about more support in lore friendly Belf customizations than in the “LeT´s ShArE hAiRsTyLeS!!” BS, hmm?

1 Like

I already do lol

Who cares if they are reused. We want customization. I don’t care if it’s reused on another race. I like mohawks for example. Just because orcs can use them doesn’t mean I do not want to see them on a blood elf? No that’s just weird. I would like mohawks on my blood elves too. I like certain hair styles on void elves. The quiffs on the guys is very attractive. My void elf uses that hairstyle. My blood elves use the same 2 hair styles, because I am not a fan of the long hair. The void elves have good facial hair styles that I find attractive, the blood elves are hairless. It is ridiculous to be so childish to demand such unique things when everyone has facial hair, hairstyles are given in the barbershop, you know all the races go. To only have certain hairstyles for certain races? That would be ridiculous irl if you went to a barber and said oh you can’t get that hairstyle because your from Idaho or something.