San’layn/vampyr Elf ALLIED RACE Coagulated Megathread of Ideas{Re-VAMPed} (Part 1)

If possible I want her to be more like Xena she was this warlord that killed a bunch of people, and changed when she met hercules, and she did good after for a bit, having to atone. Xena used to kill for pointless reasons, and in some episodes her past haunted her. So idk we don’t have a character like that. It seems Slyvannas has her humanity back so I hope they write her story that way, and with her dark twist, to do whatever is necessary to win. I know alot of people want her to be a tragic villain, I am just tired of that trope in WoW.

I know many people won’t be able to get over war of thorns but idk, feels like they wasted her character, always like Slyvanas as an antihero, and the way the story is she was always an incomplete person. Which like Uther gives her an “excuse”. I liked her as chaotic good (as in good for the horde). We will see were the patch takes her. She thought she was doing good on a cosmic level, so I think her motives/mentality she maybe thought she was doing the “ultimate good”. I would liken it to other biblical characters or mythological characters that sometimes do questionable things but are still considered good in the end. Such as war gods.

1 Like

I feel like they can put a dark angle to the Light. I hope they explore that in Calia, as the holy goodie two shoes light trope is moreso on the alliance. So with Calia I do hope they make her story a bit darker, or at least her interactions with the forsaken maybe darken her views. I don’t mind her story, I am interested if she will be more like the Scarlet Crusade, which Voss was part of. Right now Voss is showing her how the forsaken work (Calia is shadowing her to learn more about the forsaken and Voss doesn’t want the leadership). Depending on What happens with Slyvannas we could see a sort of new rule. I personally wanted a duality to the forsaken, both ladies leading. Calia the light lady, Slyvanas the dark Lady. Slyvannas would be more in charge of the army, and Calia the spirit and they want to introduce like a Monarchy sort of situation into the forsaken and make it a lordaeron nation again? I am interested in that sort of storyline as the forsaken advance and get accepted as a people. It is a preferred storyline then making the forsaken go extinct which is what they wanted to do in the blizzcon bfa scenario.

Calia seems like a good person, so I would like to her change with the forsaken into a more forsaken like person, she may learn about them and start disliking the alliance. Or if we are headed toward nuetral factions she can also be like a bridge to making the alliance more of a nuetral thing. (depends on what blizzard plans for 10.0 tbh). So I am interested in her character story and implications. I do not think they will keep her a goodie-two shoes; I hope she gets a story for forsaken or scenario that makes people see how she is learning about the forsaken and maybe introduce things the forsaken might like for her to be “likable” or known at least to the forsaken playerbase. Since her situation was mostly in the books. So Blizz definitely need to work an ingame sort of scenario where forsaken players learn her motives and how she was made.

Oh don’t get me started with the story of the last couple of expansions. Ugh, they have all been all over the place.

Basically, it is all in a nutshell

1 Like

Fingers crossed that they’re at least listening to us. It does seem like the support for these ideas has skyrocketed over the past month or so, which is hopeful. The blues said they are taking feedback, so I’m hoping that finally means our ideas are being seen. I don’t have much longer on my subscription, but I’m glad I came back for the time being to help discuss this, because I know there’s many fans of San’layn and I feel it’s important for me to continue talking for the community’s sake. Just in case.

12 Likes

I think now is a pretty important time for any of the race megathreads to show off their support. We don’t know the extent of what feedback Blizzard is taking or how they’ll utilize it in the future, but it does feel like there is a chance for consideration for playable races in the future. Expectations are tempered, but hope will grow in the meantime.

I’ll continue to help support the playable Horde San’layn cause in the future if you let your sub lapse. I’ll have plenty of ideas to type up, screenshots to take, and some writings to share (which I’ve been meaning to do for quite some time). I’m sure others will also continue to post in here as well. They are pretty popular as a race request in general, and have a lot of potential as a playable race.

San’layn are one of my most wanted playable races, so I want to do what I can to help support getting them to become a playable Horde race someday! :wine_glass::bat:

7 Likes

With Illidan, his goal was always the destruction of the legion. He did some pretty bad stuff to achieve it, but none of that mattered if the legion survived, everything would die.
There’s a similarity there with Sylvanas, where the mortal life is a blip compared to the eternal one in the Shadowlands. She’s doing some pretty horrible stuff too. Then we find out she’s working alongside inmate number one to fix the unfair afterlives. Turns out he’s just using her for his means. Not surprising at all. He’s the dude behind all of the bad that has happened to Sylvanas, and she’s right there at his side…why? I feel like coercion would have made more sense. Maybe he has the other part of her soul, and is controlling her with it, but this isn’t shown at all.
No comments from Sylvanas that make me feel like she’s being forced into doing all of this. Maybe her book will clear some of it up.
Haven’t been impressed with Sylvanas’s story.

1 Like

I think the book will have all her rationales which is sad. To need a book to explain the story instead of seeing that ingame. And confusing many players why we even do stuff. If they keep the lore that makes the game make sense forever in the books this game will suffer. I understand if they at least let us buy digital versions of the books with wow tokens/battle.net but we can’t even do that.

4 Likes

Yep, agreed. Being able to buy the book, digital or not, with your blizzard wallet currency, would be great.

2 Likes

Or they could do the right thing and, you know, build the book into a quest chain sequence inside the game?

3 Likes

Psh. They won’t do that and you know it. They’ll probably be references to the book’s events though.

Lazy Dev’s are lazy?

2 Likes

You got it!

3 Likes

So, hey, cheerier stuff!

At least the San’layn would be in proper season right now!

Maybe even until Thanksgiving, they are all about blood and sacrifice, and thanking the fact that one is still alive!

Overall I figure that the San’layn should be in game, just like NE Paladins. If, and hopefully when is just a matter of time.

6 Likes

Today is September 22nd, and it is the 3 year anniversary of this megathread! Huzzah! :vampire:

I’ll type up a longer post I’ve had in mind when I can. I have a bit of a busy day today, but I wanted to go ahead and celebrate a bit at the moment.

In the meantime, happy anniversary San’layn Megathread! :wine_glass::bat:

11 Likes

Good idea better than void elf but would have killed faction balance even more. I would quit my dh to play this race immediately.

4 Likes

Would be really neat to be able to visit a library and click on different books to play through story/lore heavy quest scenarios and events from the past and such. Sorta like the way the caverns of time works. The War of Thorns would be a neat option for something like that. Being able to reply heritage quest lines and the addition of more.

5 Likes

Yeah I’ve been super busy with work, figured I’d dip in and say hello. Been a long time this thread has been up! Which is cool. Seems like the community is leaning toward being a bit more ‘yeah sure!’ for San’layn lately as well, which is nice.

I don’t have much art to share. I’ll have more art maybe in October of my OCs to share and discuss potential implementation ideas for San’layn, but many here have shared so many good ideas too. I just like keeping morale up with art as well, art makes me happy.

7 Likes

I would ask where the time went. But we all know where…

At least we are finally seeing some hope after BFA/Early Shadowlands that they might start listening.

7 Likes

So a little belated, but I wanted to make an anniversary post since this megathread recently hit the 3 year mark.

I actually haven’t been here since the beginning. After disliking WoD and with Legion leaving a sour taste in my mouth, I had taken a hiatus from the game. It wasn’t until BfA was announced with allied races that I was interested in coming back.

At the time, I remember coming to the official WoW forums to see the discussions and speculation after the BfA reveal trailer. I think it was implied that we would get more playable races as BfA went on (which we did), and I wanted to see what people were talking about. That’s where I came across the concept of race megathreads, with the San’layn megathread being one of the first I’ve seen.

Before coming here, I didn’t know a lot about them, but as I looked into them more, I got interested. I saw a potential for a cool playable Horde race, an interesting background, and several possibilities for future roles in storylines. My excitement increased when there was the appearance of San’layn in the Alliance was campaign, thinking we’d see and work with them in the Horde side…which sadly, nothing came to be from that appearance. Despite that, my interest in playable Horde San’layn continued to increase over time and remains pretty strong nowadays.

Since coming to this megathread, I did some various sharing of ideas and also wrote up some sample scenarios to show off what could be done with San’layn. Previously, I used Blood Prince Dreven at the time as the San’layn leader. This was well before Shadowlands, and at the time it seemed like he could get revived somehow (death always seems like a minor setback in Azeroth, doesn’t it?) and get involved in BfA again, and it seemed like the most likely possibility at the time. Since then, I’ve backed away from him since we moved in another direction and it seemed less likely that we’d see him come back again, though I still keep his personality I had for him in mind. My hope from what I type on here is to help show what could be done with playable Horde San’layn and potentially inspire ideas that could be applied to them should they become playable.

One of the things I enjoy from the different race request megathreads is the passion behind those who are a fan of a particular race. I am of the opinion that having a wide variety of races playable is great as those passionate players who get to make their dream character just adds so much to the world. Characters are the most important part of a MMORPG, in my opinion. They’re the link of attachment to a game, whether it is an identity or just part of someone’s creativity with backstory, designs, and so on. It’s something I like to see continuously added, whether it’s new races, classes, or customization options.

Wtih San’layn, there is quite a bit of passion shown, and I see it as something growing. Not only is this one of the biggest race request megathreads, but I’ve seen San’layn popularity grow as time went on. I do recall one of Blizzard’s twitch streams had people chanting for San’layn in the Twitch chat. There was also a lot of speculation of them as an allied race during the BfA days, which I think also helped things. I’d say their popularity has grown in general over time. I don’t say that just because I particularly want San’layn, but it has been an observation I’ve seen. Seeing people cheer on for playable Horde San’layn is something I’m always happy to see.

I’m thankful that this megathread exists. I support it because I honestly want to see playable Horde San’layn become a reality someday. I have a couple of character slots reserved for potential San’layn characters, who I hope get to see the…well, I’d say light of day, but I suppose the darkness of night is better fitting. I also don’t put them on my “Horde Triforce of Hope!™” I tout on these forums for nothing. I really do want to see playable Horde San’layn as a reality someday.

I also am thankful for the inspiration and courage I’ve gained from here and other race request megathreads. This megathread was one that inspired me to find my creative side, to get into supporting playable Horde Ogres, make my own Saurok megathread, and eventually make my Stonemaul Ogre megathread. It had been a pleasure to be part of this megathread and other race request megathreads in general.

I always take the stance that whatever is done on here is not a guarantee to see our requests come true. At the same time, there is a bit of hope that continues to grow. Moreso with Blizzard seemingly taking fan feedback in general. I would hope that they would look at San’layn with an open mind and see the potential they have as a playable Horde race. If given some love and creativity, there is quite a bit you can do with San’layn, and I hope they get both of those as opposed to being stuck as an evil mook NPC race brought in to act as quest jobbers or loot piñatas.

Regardless of what happens, I still plan to continue contributing to this megathread. I still have ideas, writings, and such that I want to do more of when I get the time and when creativity strikes. As I said, Horde San’layn are one of my most wanted races, and I want to support them as best as I can.

We’ve been going for 3 years and still going strong. Let’s hope that it won’t take several more years before we see playable Horde San’layn someday! :wine_glass::bat:

8 Likes

Dropping in for some snakey support!

:bat:

9 Likes