Same-Faction BGs in Classic

You mean, next to nobody. Long queuetimes have never been an incentive to faction change that significantly changed faction balance.

If somebody switched to get shorter queuetimes, they were doing it for their own benefit, not making a personal sacrifice for the greater good of the masses.

Long queuetimes have never worked as an incentive to change faction in the past enough to make a difference. What is your suggested remedy, aside from doing nothing but expecting a different result sometime in the distant future?

1 Like

The overarching effect was balance, the reason for the switch not being altruistic is irrelevant.

Also, you’re going to tell me that if 30% of the horde queuing pvp faction changed to Alliance, it would have no effect? Yeah I get it, waiting for that to happen was/is pointless because it never would….but it would have an effect.

The majority horde players are pvp casuals too. People who went on google and typed in ‘best insert class race here for pvp in tbc’ and just went with it, or, simply listened to streamer advice.

All of this in spite of the fact that 98% or more of the current horde population won’t see a gladiator title or get even close to a rank 1, or even try to….many of them just do casual Bgs and rolled a horde race because they or their friends were told that to be good at pvp, you have to have a certain racial.

This is in the same vein that when classic launched many of the raiders and pve players went alliance because they were told that they needed those racials to be cutting edge optimal.

Are these things true? Pvp for horde and and pve for alliance? Sure, if you are the top 1% of players in either respect.

People are acting like the majority of the player base cares about the game story or faction lore or has some type of faction pride, when the fact is that if the pvp racial meta was swapped and the top 1% went alliance, we would see the exact same problem on the opposite side.

This will inevitably happen in wrath since players know what they know about racials and their effect on pvp during that expansion, and faction changes were introduced during wrath.

I will eat my words if I am wrong on this, but I don’t believe I am. When Wrath Classic comes and player faction chance is introduced, most players acting now like they have some kind of horde pride will be swapping alliance once the streamers all do, and they will.

1 Like

Use to be my favorite defensive in WoD. Fade use to make you invisible. So when being trained, LoF someone to you, fade, new guy is now being trained. You can now walk away.

I mean a lot of classic players played for wpvp. Murdering one factions population is going to directly destroy this. I’ve seen a few smart horde realising this over on the tbc forums.

The only players that don’t care are pure arena players. Everyone else should realise how bad a fix this is.

Classic is generating the revenue to keep the trash heap of retail alive, so yeah they pay more attention to it.

lmao, there were just so many of them too right?

Did you not play in wod? Alliance racials at the beginning of the expansion were so strong and so many PvPers switched, following the leaders, that PvP was dominated by Alliance throughout the expansion, even though those racials were nerfed early. Queuetimes for Alliance were so long that complaints (and forum demands of Blizzard to “fix this!”) were so frequent that we got merc mode as the solution.

What else happened in wod that had an effect on faction balance? The Horde garrison. What a hellhole! Numerous people have told me they wanted to play Horde or tried to because they couldn’t stand being in that hole in the ground for an entire expansion.

Are these the kind of things you want to happen, for Blizzard to make it so unpleasant to be Horde that some will switch to Alliance, while others will choose to stop playing entirely?

Precisely why bandaids are not a solution.

Horde doesn’t want merc mode because they play on alliance rather than horde…but that is a far more conceptually interesting system than a one faction game.

Tbh, if they are going to allow horde queue into horde, why not just remove the faction identifier from battlegrounds in general and just matchmake people for teams based on the entire pool of players queueing?

Seems like a better solution to me if factions simply no longer matter.

1 Like

I for one am really enjoying this weekend of fast queues. I just don’t see the issue with it. I play horde because I always have and I’m sure many are in the same boat. I want to PvP the majority of my time with this game and I’ll keep my sub active if the queues are short. If it goes back to hour long queues I’m not so sure.

2 Likes

Really? Because in wod the population was OVERWHELMINGLY alliance. It’s almost as if people want to take advantage of racials and other stuff without any of the drawbacks.

It’s a lame fix man. Offer FREE faction swaps to alliance for limited time. Offer FREE boosts. I guarantee that would help the faction balance. Instead we get dumb stuff like this that will murder one faction and any last remnants of wpvp.

Blizzard and their dumb 50% off stuff isn’t enough. You still have to break out the credit card. Make it free and I guarantee people will swap alliance.

1 Like

The really strong human pvp racial emfh came out in Wotk? Things will reverse themselves when classic Wrath releases I suppose.

I think you’re severely overestimating the amount of people that would swap alliance and how much it would help but that’s fine.

2 Likes

The new que times are amazing. Many of my friends have already came back. The only downside now is that it costs me 50g every time I want to switch from BGs to dungeons.

Yeah it would still be 100% horde majority. As someone else said though. If only 25% of people swap. That’s 25% less horde queing and all of a sudden 25% more alliance queing. That’s going go to have a pretty drastic effect on que times. Yes horde would still be longer but alliance wouldn’t be torched as a result. Might actually get some much better wpvp.

1 Like

There are not lots of people spamming forums begging blizzard to fix wpvp.

People wanted bg queues so thats what they fixed

Yeah it’s almost as if people are short sighted :rofl:Like everyone going horde in the first place. Or the fact that everyone is in gearing mode right now but that won’t last forever.

And giving FREE swaps and boosts to alliance solves both. It’s just a tad slower but much less short sighted.

1 Like

It wasnt though, we have the fix we need now. There dont seem to be many people left who really care about wpvp

I wonder if Blizzard has considered paying popular WoW streamers to swap factions.

I’m just curious how much influence they have over faction imbalance.

It really was. Similar to a lot of other short sighted Blizzard fixes that has lead retail to be the quality space it is now lol… Wpvp used to be one of the hallmarks of this game man. It was pretty huge in classic.

Sounds like you’re thinking short term :rofl: as I said man, everyone’s in BG’s right now gearing. When they’re all maxed out and decide to go take it into the world and realise the world is boring or that you’re outnumbered 10-1 that you’ll see an effect.

For sure some. I still think truly free swaps and boosts would be enough to bring people over. Some guy gets frustrated at an hour que? Swaps. His buddy’s decide to follow because now they have a friend over there.

Wouldn’t 100% solve the problem but definitely would have done a fair amount though. Blizzard doesn’t like the word free though. To be fair to Blizzard, it is a player created problem.

1 Like

Certainly the PvP population was overall Alliance. But that didn’t give PvEers an incentive to faction change. Do you have numbers for overall faction balance in wod?

There was of course the Horde garrison, which was a nasty hole in the ground in a frozen wasteland. Not many complained at the time, but I know people who stopped playing Horde because of that.

The fact is that people choose their factions for personal reasons. The only people who will change factions from Horde to Alliance in case of a free faction change are those who already want to make the change.

I think most people already have high level characters on both factions in retail anyway. The net result of free boosts would be more characters that aren’t being played.

People didn’t choose their faction to help blizzard or make a sacrifice for the greater good. They play the faction they want to play.

Two faction balance is inherently unstable. There is nothing anyone can do that will change this. Any game change drastic enough to create a shift will result in overshooting the goal.