Rumours going around that Shadowlands only in 2021

Likely not. They plan expansions two in advance. So by the time BfA released Shadowlands was already underway and they have at least a general concept of the one to come after that. It’s not something they can scrap entirely and remake at the last minute. That’s how you get WoD.

The features of it can still constantly change and feedback through BfA has certainly affected it. Not much is set in stone this early. But it’s been building up for awhile now. The Bolvar cinematic alone would have taken months to create. Plus it’s already been labeled and marketed as a 2020 release.

4 Likes

~https://giphy.com/gifs/scary-laughing-puppets-fGuqeA6PiXINa

Allow me to reintroduce you to the way Blizzard development works…

2 Likes

I am really convinced that SL will come out right after blizzcon in 2020 or right before Christmas 2020. But it would not shock me if it came out sometime Q1 of 2021. Activision could always force them to release it half done, like it felt in BFA.

People who say “August 2020” are smoking really good stuff.

They showed almost nothing as far as close to finished at blizzcon this year, just a few ideas they have developed, but not even close to release quality.

2 Likes

It’s not really a rumor. Preach said the devs at Blizzcon were pretty adamant that Shadowlands is in its early stages and almost none of the systems have even been built. They told him its probably not to be expected before the end of 2020 or early 2021.

Obviously all of that could change over the next year, but it definitely sounds like they’re not that far into development, for whatever reason. Maybe they decided to change a lot of what they were doing because of the backlash that was BFA.

2 Likes

I don’t care how long it takes, I don’t care if its 6 months late

I just want to see a good, solid expansion with some (if not all) of the more obvious complaints dealt with

11 Likes

8.3 is not going live until 2020.

4 Likes

Sounds great but then… content draught, we know those who will cry about nothing to do on top of nothing xd.
On the bright side that would mean flying would literally have been operational for 2 years if 9.0 is delayed to 2021. Idk man imo why delay if Blizz always has to mess things up.

Those people can check out Classic, or level an alt, or play one of the 7,500,342 other games out there. I a, super stoked that I have the rest of the year to take a break from WoW and catch up with everything else that released in September without worrying about falling behind on anything.

5 Likes

Everything looked ripped off from other MMOs that did it first, from the new mechanics to the zone and gear aesthetics. If Shadowlands shows off the team’s creativity then it’s definitely going to be a clunker. Really wish they’d give Metzen too much money to refuse and put him on retainer to come and sort out this mess of a franchise with a little Warcraft-themed direction.

3 Likes

I think that having already started the preorders means they have to deliver prior to Dec 31 2020, legally obligated now.

4 Likes

The date on the preorders says before December 31 2020.

Now, that doesn’t mean the game can’t be delayed. Games have certainly had release dates pushed back. However, I don’t think it would have been a good idea for them to publish the December 31 2020 date if they already knew they weren’t going to deliver until until 2021.

Also, any rumor at this point that the game isn’t coming out until 2021 is literally just made up BS at this point.

2 Likes

If PTR comes out and it’s obvious that it needs more time, give it more time I say. Azerite armor wasn’t even ready until 3 days before BFA went live. BFA definitely didn’t have enough time. I just want to play a product that looks like it’s ready to ship.

4 Likes

It says on or before. So it could be on December 31st and still adhere to that. And while they always deliver WoW expacs around the same time, keep in mind for every game you pre-order, delays can happen. Or after you get in game, bugs, ddos, anything can happen. It is the risk you take when you pre-order.

But there could be less of that if they are allowed to take their time with the expac.

This.

Actually it does.

Because it wasn’t a pre-order. It was a pre-purchase. Pre-orders can be delayed because full price of product has not been exchanged. Pre-purchases with a defined release date legally can’t.

It wasn’t a pre-order. Which is legally different.

Europe has extremely strict digital product laws. Blizzard would face massive fines and lawsuits if they do not release Shadowlands by the date they said they would. Dec 31, 2020.

3 Likes

Welcome to the last 40ish years of video games.

2 Likes

I find this all completely ironic considering your stance on high elves.

Good guy light skinned elves are the most ripped off fantasy aspect there is that others did first. Absolutely no creativity there.

3 Likes

The Shadowlands expac is up for pre-order. You can get your money back if it ends up being delivered late, but only if you don’t use anything in the pre-order.

That’s funny, I find Chris Metzen’s take on High Elves in Warcraft to be aesthetically and thematically unique and very creative.

It’ll make this the worst content drought in history.

3 Likes

Whatever it takes to make it good.

Back when Blizzard made good games “soon” was a thing they were teased with, but it always panned out.

4 Likes