RPing Characters' Past Selves

How many here are roleplaying as the past selves of characters appearing in Retail RP servers? All 4 of my Classic characters fit that bill.

Prella (of) Northshire (Prella), the confident fel-slinger in Retail is still the beginner under Drusilla La Salle in Classic.

Halcalya (Dalan) Marxworth (Halcalya), the formerly-Argent peace activist in Retail is still the amnesiac but peaceful subject of the Dark Lady in Classic.

Logan Sanclara (Sanclara), the secretive undead mad scientist mage in Retail is a very much alive, but still secretive and suspicious scientist mage in Classic.

Amylin Stormpike (Amylin), the human former DJ and explosives expert (and wife of a goblin) in Retail…really isn’t much different in Classic, just 8 years younger and not a DJ or married yet. lol

(and for the record…yes, while WoW itself has been around for 15 years of RL time, only 8 years have passed for our heroes)

3 Likes

When I started, at around BC launch, with content very much like classic, I had a priest named Talara. This was on a normal server, Drenden, but I still had a Myrole play backstory for her. Played to around level 30 and moved her to Farstriders RP to join a friend who also had. I was forced to change her name. so she became Jeenee and respeced to shadow from disc. I then remade her on Drenden as Talarna and played her to 110

I tried to remake Talara. I have the look spot on but someone else had the name, so I have Talarah, currently level 8. She’s from southshore and an avid equestrian (that part might get tough in this version of the game) who fled when Horde troops from Tarren Mill began attacking the town, relocating to Eastvale. I recall someone named Drusilla back then. Close but probably not you. They were Draenei so not a vanilla character. Who knows though. People pick something close when names are taken sometimes.

I mailed the person named Talara and had a nice exchange. They had also remade the character they had back when so it must have been a differnt server.

My Warrior, Ryonna is a different spelling of one of my old Paladin’s named Rhyonna, but the backstory is all new. She is this charcter’s sister They are 2 of non-identical triplets. The 3rd being a Pally named Celestria.

Drusilla La Salle is the warlock trainer at Northshire, and ICly Prella’s fel trainer. She’s not a player character.

1 Like

So between Vanilla and Wrath, my main was a dwarf priest named Brynne. She had a big storyline and I did a ton of roleplay with her during that time. She was great fun.

Unfortunately that name was taken here, so I’ve renamed her and am basically roleplaying her as the exact same character, who had a nightmare one night and dreamed all of the in-game events and expansion progression. She wakes up in a panic, realizes she’s back home in Thelsamar, and I can basically start over with her. Since it was a dream, she only very vaguely remembers it now, nothing in enough detail to really affect her story.

I know the dream thing is a bit cheesy, but I didn’t really want to go down the time travel path as that introduces all kinds of weirdness.

2 Likes

Thats kind of what I’m doing, though I’d more say i’m playing a rebooted version of Abbri with a slightly changed background to justify her being with the Forsaken so earky in the lore.

If I happen to go back to BFA I won’t be incorporating anything that happens in classic, and I won’t be trying to mold her into the same person she became through my old rp. It’s more just a fresh start for her.

Most of my retail characters wouldn’t fit Classic for one reason or another (non-playable race, not on playable Azeroth, etc) but I have a couple past-self AU characters. It’s funny because neither of them can be their live class in Classic, so this part of their backstories feels relatively unexplored.

It’ll be the same for Maerlyn.

In the MU/Retail “universe” (for lack of a better word), Maerlyn was part of the Scarlet Crusade and was eventually killed when the Scarlets lost Stratholme and were raised by Balnazzar. Rather than being brought under the dreadlord’s sway, Maerlyn’s body was stolen by Forsaken agents and reanimated by the val’kyr.

In order to justify his having become Forsaken earlier in the lore without sacrificing his Scarlet backstory, I’m having Maerlyn instead die during the First Summertide Assault, slain by the Scourge and raised by the necromancer Diodor the Damned. After Diodor’s death, Maerlyn’s mind was freed, though his body was still undead. Driven by vengeance now, he joined the Forsaken that he once hunted. Something something evil characters something something revenge.

To me, and a few of those that I RP with, Classic is sort of like a “butterfly effect” timeline for our characters. Their paths are the same up until a point, but because of one moment in time happening differently (i.e., Maerlyn trips on a rock and is therefore late to this meeting, which in turn causes x/y/z to happen…), their futures are much different.

1 Like

My alt, a young priestess named Feleina Naylor had quite a long and convoluted story on Moon Guard. Parts of it were good, but it ended tragically due to circumstances beyond her control (hey, you can’t control how other players are going to RP with you), was a total mess and she died.

I’m really delighted to give her a second chance at life. And I’ve started her out as I did in retail - a farm girl from Westfall with a pet chicken named Jake, who travels to Northshire Abbey to pursue religious studies. I’m hoping there will be a Clergy - Light based guild for her to join at some point, but for now, she’s on her own, leading Evening Vespers at the Cathedral most nights, and for me, that’s a good start.

I wasn’t going to do this, but I have given my night elf druid the same name as on retail and really there isn’t any difference at this point in the backstories.
None of my other retail characters fit into this scenario as they are still behind walls, on alien planets??, still in Quel’Thalas, or on a turtle.

I borrowed elements from my retail characters backstories, but that’s about it. I’m doing a fresh start here on Classic. Way I see it, my retail characters have had their stories told already. I want to try something new.

I thought about making a younger version of Olvera, my spry elder Orc Shaman, but eh. Not a lot of people play elders so I stuck with her. I originally made her sometime after BC was released, so we’ll just say she has a bit more spryness pre-BC.

My Blood Elf Hunter, Willimeena, is now a Dwarf Hunter, Wilhelmina. She’s still dedicated to Engineering but she’s a lot more cheerful, so they’re prettymuch different people at this point.

1 Like

I thought about that for a bit but couldn’t get all my past character names. I then decided to do what Star Trek should have done and make a new story about new characters during a specific repeat time period. I think it’s turning out to be a good idea for me and gets me out of past character shells easier.

1 Like

Im going with an alternate universe version of my retail character. Everything about her past is the same until Northshire and then it branches to a whole new story. A lot of what made Ehlina who she was, was due to a lot of the RP that happened back on CC. Looking forward to seeing who she becomes this time

1 Like

Lady Adrienne Oakleaf, Viscountess of Sablewood and Umbra’s Passage in retail is puttering around here in her past as Adri Blake, sneaky eavesdropping teen orphan and dancer who tries hard to act aloof and coy, but she hasn’t had much practice at it yet.

My RP partner and I have some time-travel shenanigans planned that may end up splitting off her timeline into alternate-universe territory, though, as one does.

Going the alternate universe route. Similar background except with an added influence which alters how my two favorite characters were raised as well as a different decision made by the tribe when they find Redearth doesn’t fit “the mold”. I think of it as the bones are still the same, but the skin’s a bit different.

It is a little difficult stepping over the boundaries of her old self which are engrained after many, many hours of RP and storytelling. But I appreciate the challenge.

I’m starting all over, pretending the events in retail never happened. This is a great big do-over to me

1 Like

Four of the characters I recreated in Classic, I had created in vanilla - this guy, my human paladin, my Forsaken priest, and my night elf druid. Except for this one, they’re all dead in retail (the paladin is now tauren, the priest is now a gnome, and the druid is deleted, I ended up just creating new ones later).

Just for a lark, I elected to make at least one “past self” based on a character I created recently - a Forsaken death knight, a former Knight of Lordaeron (I race-changed him from another during BfA, created his story), who I’m playing as a warrior (Deathguard) here in Classic.

i created Baineann, Tauren Druid in classic to RP Baineann my Tauren DK’s past life in retail. It’s good fun!

My friend group decided to play Horde and I was alliance in vanilla, so I’ve gone with I am the result of crossing the wrong Bronze Dragon at the wrong time.

1 Like

For sure I’m going to be rping my main warrior Svenril at a much younger time. (I would say around 8-10 years like the op said but so many sources say so many different things)
In live hes an angry drunk but he often talks about how long ago he used to be in the stormwind military before venturing off into the Outlands and Northrend campaigns before his discharge in catacalysm.
In this it’d be fun to rp him being a guard sort of like a prequel mini-series