RPG vs Gameplay....Why not both? (Covenant Swapping)

I think the biggest issue is that people get too stuck on the “RPG” term, when the term is so generic to begin with, and they attach their own personal meaning to it. Technically speaking, just about any video game is an RPG.

MOBA - is a battle arena game; traditionally with lanes of combat with a 5v5 hero + mercs and towers setup. So WoW doesn’t really come anywhere close to this.

The term I think applies to WoW the best and still gives it lots of leeway in terms of content is MMO-Fantasy game. It’s online, with lots of players, and is based around a fantasy theme (vs say a sci-fi type theme).

Getting people to let go of their definition and use of “RPG” is the biggest hurdle to get over, and likely would be impossible to do.

That’s because “RPG” is actually a very generic term that people assign their own personal/specific criteria to.

I’m well aware. It’s very silly when people do mental gymnastics to try and claim WoW isn’t a MMORPG.

The genre is very wide.

Well RPG is not a generic term. Was just discussing this earlier with someone. Over time, people IGNORE its original definition and “water it down” to fit their own narrative, but it definitely has a definition (Wikipedia has an example of that definition).

If Blizzard wants more MOBA and less RPG because it makes them more MONEY that that’s on them, we play in their sandbox.

It would be a sad day though for RPG gamers, and probably the original developers of WoW.

They don’t need to be hard to switch on a whim. This is the same argument as no flyers make. Have some self control and just don’t switch your talents or spec. You don’t need to effect every other player due to your lack of self control.

In that case let’s just add a vendor that sells every item in the game for 1 gold, and if you don’t like it then don’t let your lack of self control get in the way of other players playing how they want.

That’s the level of logic this argument is using.

Not the same thing and you know it. Go play classic if you want annoyance in changing talents.

Of course I know it. I’ve made several arguments about how it ultimately hurts my gameplay in areas of the game that are inherently competitive like PvP.

but people keep coming back to me with this “It’s optional, just don’t use it!” which is, frankly, a weak and terrible argument.

It’s not a weak argument. What’s a weak argument is claiming that removing a stupid thing that has never been in game before which is tying power level of characters to story hurts rpg elements. Have you ever had a dm tell you that you can only take a specific ability if you join a specific faction if so they are a terrible dm.

Which for me personally, really isn’t bad. It’s cool on my raid team having an Axe Warrior, a Dagger warrior, a Dual swords warrior, a Winters Chill Mage, an Improved Hunters Mark Hunter ect. ect.

Not saying go back, but more leaning towards I wish we had different paths that we could take and still find viability.

WoW has NEVER had player power tied to story choices ever. The closest you can claim is racials and that’s more aesthetic than story choice. It’s also outside of very specific encounters where things like goblin racial and blood elf purge are insane a sub 1% different. Covenants absolute won’t be.

Sure but that still isn’t tying story choice to player power which is the issue with this. Also realistically you can still roleplay those choices except for dual wield one handers as fury :frowning:

Except that the ability to play in a more traditional/RPG fashion is still available to players. Nothing is stopping them from playing the game in that manner.

The dictionary definition: a game in which participants adopt the roles of imaginary characters in an adventure under the direction of a Game Master.

Where Game Master is replaced with game developer in the video game arena.

That definition is very generic. A D&D style game would refine that a little more to suit story-character development, but a game like Sonic/Mario would still meet the general definition just fine.

But that’s a MMO thing, and not a RPG thing. The coding and data storage requirements of giving each paying customer their own grand influencing choices throughout the whole story/xpac arch would be prohibitive.

It’s a weak argument because clearly there’s something else if we all know the vendor that sells every item would be a terrible idea even if it too is optional.

I’ve also already said multiple times that ideally this should happen at the character level and not through a borrowed power mechanic, so pointing out that whole thing isn’t going to do much for me.

but would you really be accepting if they made it so talents were hard to switch on a whim again?

Or would you just tell me to go play Classic again to try to get me to shut up?

Well, without new quests and stories to play (aka ‘content’), there is no RPG.

And when a game company focus’ their attention on the MOBA-like end-game of their game, they don’t spend allot of time making new stories/content.

The end-game raiding is a gating mechanism to prevent creating more content, and without content, there is no RPG.

Exactly this. This is what myself and other guildees/community members do.

The option is there for us and we take it to the extent that we want.

Some people even go so far as to not use flying mounts or xmog - and they don’t want those things removed from the game because they know other people enjoy those game features.

They don’t need to have other people forced to play the game the way they want in order to get the value they appreciate about the game.

It’s more like “It’s optional, we don’t use it - and we don’t want other people to be forced into not using it.”

Provided that we actually play the game this way and enjoy it - and dont’ want others to be forced into playing the same way, I wouldn’t call it a weak and terrible argument.

1 Like

I prefer the Wikipedia definition …

A role-playing game (sometimes spelled roleplaying game;[1][2] abbreviated RPG) is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting. Players take responsibility for acting out these roles within a narrative, either through literal acting, or through a process of structured decision-making regarding character development.[3] Actions taken within many games succeed or fail according to a formal system of rules and guidelines.[4]

This type of game is well-established, so some RPG-related game forms, such as trading/collectible card games (CCGs) and wargames, may not be included under the definition. Some amount of role-playing activity may be present in such games, but it is not the primary focus.[9] The term role-playing game is also sometimes used to describe games involving roleplay simulation and exercises used in teaching, training, and academic research.

Yeah that’s not my argument. I’m just stating that it would be cool if they made multiple builds viable.

So regardless of gear/ability systems - WoW continues to produce new content each tier/season and each expansion. Any flexibility provided to their systems won’t negate WoW from being an RPG.

Heck - even if WoW stopped producing content, that wouldn’t negate it as an RPG. It would just be an RPG with an end rather than a never-ending game.