''rpg element'' buzzword bs

You don’t have to make many choices in FFXIV beyond rotations. It might be more your speed.

4 Likes

Dang…you are one bitter person.

I hope I never feel like you when playing a video game.

2 Likes

Says who?

You?

2 Likes

u dont have to be someone to know this

By this logic, melee gnomes would never stand a chance against anyone.

1 Like

RPG choice can be good in a MMORPG, Blizzard is just missing the point.

Race and class are both RPG choices that can’t be changed, and they’re not really complained about around here.

The best design is when they can make mechanics and lore work side by side.

Shadowlands isn’t doing that with covenants, though. They’re implementing mechanics that wont be good in a way that doesn’t even make a ton of sense in the story(As far as I know, there is no story reason for the 1 week cooldown on conduit switching).

2 Likes

That’s exactly what it is.

1 Like

FFXIV actually has rpg features like housing and very detailed side quests and story content that comes out quite regularly. WoW has covenants that are probably going to have 2 hours worth of end game quests that all lead to the exact same conclusion and at the very end the only effect your choice will have is how gimped you are in certain content.

2 Likes

A story? The most exclusive of rpg elements.

They don’t respect RPG elements as long as scaling shenanigans exists. We all know it as being true in our hearts. :+1:

1 Like

For video games yeah, RPGs are usually the homes of some of the most memorable video game tales out there. You think people play rpgs for stat crunching? That’s what WoW is for.

Hell most of WoW’s story isn’t even told in game. What kind of garbage RPG has to tell its story in books you have to purchase outside of the damn game.

RPG means different things to different people, usually a matter of extent. What separates an RPG grind from a meaningless one is… well, meaning. Like with flying, rather than a list of chores and a grind give us a reason and a purpose. Maybe we need to learn how to fly in a certain environment and they’ll only teach me once I’m revered. Or maybe they guard the skies and only allow revered people or they risk attack, and allow our flying mounts some purpose even if it’s just gliding.

That’s the difference to me, I’m sure someone else would have a different meaning.

1 Like

Says people that understand how meta the game has become.

Nothing says “rpg elements” like not having half the story in the game. It just shows how much they really care about it.

4 Likes

So what you are saying is you are upset you cannot RP a cringy griefing douche?

1 Like

Except…you don’t need to follow a meta. This isn’t LoL or Overwatch…lol

1 Like

Might wanna remove that last word in the title. Hypothetically speaking that word has got a poster banned at one time.

RPGs having good stories is complete coincidence and a matter of opinion. FFXIV having a good and memorable story is also very much up for debate.

An rpg is a digital interpretation of pen & paper rpgs. For many it absolutely is about number crunching. Otherwise, you could turn a visual novel into an rpg by simply filling the gaps in the story with whatever genre of game you want.

The time for arguments has passed!

You think you want this but you don’t!