RP Question: Accents In RP

I replace “the” with “de” because it helps my brain switch into Zulric writing mode, and that’s about the extent of it. It’s also the only bit of phonetic dialogue they use for Talanji’s lines in Rastakhan’s Rumble, which is good enough for me!

Blizzard’s general inconsistency with troll dialogue is pretty amusing.

With character dialogue, though, I think heavily written accents are typically used by inexperienced roleplayers who want to give their characters a unique voice. As expressed by other people in this thread, there are more interesting ways to go about it.

For instance! I’m often told that Zulric has a pretty unique voice, which largely comes from his propensity for being comically verbose. Other trolls occasionally remark that he speaks like an elf, which I’ve always found a little strange. Since when did elves have a copyright on being fluent in Orcish/Common?

On an unrelated note, I’m an advocate for Gilnean roleplayers focusing less on the written accent, and more on using old British slang and phrases. It’s hilarious, and people will be equally confused about what you’re trying to get across.

2 Likes

Still here for Vulpera having Australian accents instead of what we got.

1 Like

"Lookit that crocolisk there! I’m gonna stick my paw up it’s bum! Aw, he’s good and pifft!"

3 Likes

I personally don’t go overboard with it much, unless I’m playing up a curse or affliction for laughs.

It’s just a general PITA to read and write out, in my own personal experience.