#RP-PVP Realms, Reconsider One Realm

The one bright spot is his tweet was a week ago. Hopefully they have actually put thought into it since then.

1 Like

Indeed…forcing people to re-roll seems a bit silly.

3 Likes

I agree, also if they end up releasing the RP-PvP server later that will be a problem if they didn’t start from scratch since people will already be invested in their guilds on their previous server. I want my white nightsaber, and ill leave a PvP realm if they end up adding it in months down the line but I would rather they find out that they were wrong, especially since almost 3x more people want RP-PvP compared to RP-PvE.

I mean, if he releases it and it ends up being niche then so be it but I think we deserve the shot at the server failing. Either way it will preserve the classic feeling.

3 Likes

Its a shame best bet is to upvote the OP to an absurbed amount of convince him or the devs on social medias since that seems more popular ill see about posting the tweets or whatever when I get home in twoish days. I’m just surprised that so many people are against the idea myself.

Better to have RP-PvP’d and lost, than to have never RP-PvP’d at all. At least 1 server, Blizz. Please!

4 Likes

There’s some flaw to a lot of what’s been said here. I’ll go over a few points, and you can take that for what it’s worth.

1. Surveys. Taking surveys, and sure, you have 10-15k people sign a survey saying they’d love an RP realm, then you have to understand that the 10-15k people are from all around the world, so you’re breaking that up into all the different regions that Classic will launch. Lets just do that math, lets say a survey gets 10k yes votes. Now spread that across the different regions. NA/EU/AUS/China/Korea/Taiwan/South America. That’s 6 regions. 1600 people per server. Now allow for fall off from people giving up on leveling, and we can SAFELY bring that number to 1k per server, split that per faction 500/500. That’s even being generous and saying the region splits are even. Anyone trying to raid/5man/pvp is going to have an awful time, and overall the server will eventually die, making it terrible for the lifespan of the game.

Would it not be better to launch PvP servers, and have the people that WANT to RP pick one as their home? It’s a completely logical solution.

1. Ion wants to make the game last, as we all do. The bottom line is we want classic, we want classic to be amazing, and we want it to last som they have options for expansion releases or new content additions. Gripping over the fact you can’t choose a designated RP server this early when they haven’t even announced an actual release date is counterproductive to that goal. Let them launch realms, if the games blows up and there’s way more population than the current servers can hold, I’m sure they’d look into an RP designated realm. But for the love of god, let them get the game going first!
1 Like

I was 100% going to roll on an RPPVP server as that is still my server of choice. I rolled on Lightninghoof the day it opened and though I’ve played on just RP and PVP servers, the RPPVP will always be the place that suits my play style best.

2 Likes

The thing is we don’t want to roll on a PvP server for us to RP on. We are in RP-PvP for the immersion. The last thing I want is to be getting ganked in Stranglethorn vale by Pwnurmum. Having an RP ruleset that is adhered to on the server is important for those playing on it as opposed to a group of people RPing on a PvP server. Its not about a place for us to go with our friends, its about having a server where we and our peers are immersed in.

4 Likes

I understand that, and I’m not against there being an RP-PvP realm by any means. I’d just rather see the game be successful at the start, than be spread out thin because we want every kind of server on launch, spreading the population in case it’s not as big a boom as the player base is expecting, but Blizz is preparing for.

1 Like

Game will do just fine at the start, the only way it could flop is if blizz added too many servers at the beginning and ends up needing to merge them. Ala SWTOR with 50+ servers now merged down to 4 world wide

We just formed a Classic WoW RP Guild Leader Discord. Some of the more vocal and outspoken members may want to centralize efforts there. We’re also looking for other Role-Players to brainstorm and stir conversation across different platforms!
discord.gg/CgDugXh

Long live RP-PVP

-Fataxe/Noko

2 Likes

Imagine being a RPPVP player coming back to the game for release, and has not read the classic forum, not knowing that there will not be that realm type.

3 Likes

I have no problem rerolling once an RP-PvP realm goes live. It’s worth it to me. That said, asking all of my friends to do the same, I’m not so ok with. Maybe they’ll look at it the same way I do, and be fine with it. Maybe some won’t. Point is, if they’re just provided at launch, we won’t have to face that scenario. No-one will.

3 Likes

Say they don’t make an RPPvP server at launch and do so later. When they do so later, all the people who wanted an RPPvP server will likely move from the server they designated as an RPPvP server, regardless of which server type it was, then move to the new RPPvP server and pretty much devastate the population of the server they were already on.

An encapsulation of one of the reasons why it is absolutely ridiculous to lack an entire server type during launch. Just 1 server is enough.

A genuine historical retail Vanilla server is ~2.5 - ~3k concurrent population (known metric). Let’s say ~10k player accounts (unknown metric).

If there will be 400,000 people playing Classic WoW (an extremely low estimate as underground p servers have shown more engagement in Vanilla WoW than that)

then there only needs to be 2.5% of players interested in RPPvP to have 10k players for a server. If 1 million people play Classic (much more realistic), we’re talking 1.25% of the player base for an RPPvP server.

A recent survey of 20,000 players showed that 10% are interested in RPPvP.

Only a tenth of that is needed to support an RPPvP server. If 2 million people play Classic, that’s less than 1% of players for an RPPvP server.

There is no legitimate argument against this. Ion must be being pressured by executives when it comes to the amount of servers, or just unaware of how many people there are that are genuinely interested in rolling RPPvP.

Even if they open RPPvP realms later, what happens then? The RP community that rolled on a PvP server mass rerolls, crippling the server it leaves behind?
Guilds and groups of friends partially reroll, some don’t, and entire communities get eviscerated and destroyed?

It is a terrible idea to not have RPPvP server at launch. If Ion is genuinely concerned about server population health, not having an entire server type at launch is a surefire way to cripply RPPvP forever.

Let’s say there will be 2 RPPvE servers in NA region, or 3. Just convert 1 of them to RPPvP.

Then if the RPPvE servers are too crowded, more can be added! No reasonable person would object to this!

But not having an entire server type at launch? Absolutely nonsensical.

It will fragment my guild and my friend group. It completely kills Classic for me personally, to such a degree that I won’t even bother subbing or playing if there is an entire server type missing.

2 Likes

I have to wonder how on earth they could possibly gauge interest of a server type, that they aren’t offering? By seeing how many people don’t sign up?

5 Likes

If they cannot gauge interest via those who are currently showing interest, and the polls, threads and videos over the past 10+ years, I have little faith in their ability to gauge interest after release.

2 Likes

The only thing I can think of is they might want to wait until after the population drops off due to tourists leaving, then use the stuff they’d be looking at now like forums, polls, etc.

Though opening up a RP-PvP server later on will bring about less people rolling on it. I know I wouldn’t switch from my established server for it.

I could also see it attracting less people who want RP-PvP and more of the private server “FRESH” mentality players who just want to reroll on a new server.

Not having a RP-PvP server at launch and adding one later feels like it’s going to do a lot of harm to that server.

3 Likes

Why don’t you just put together an RP-PVP guild? In Vanilla, your guild really was most of your community, and you couldn’t talk to members of the opposing faction so it doesn’t matter in PvP. I, for one, intend to be doing some RP, but I can 100% see why they don’t want to dedicate a server to it when there isn’t that much interest.

1 Like

Citation &%%#% needed.

And not “well people stopped playing on them after four expansions, when we’d gone out of our way to block off world PvP.”

5 Likes

Yet another contrarian troll who happily ignores the polls, threads, entire forums (http://wow-tng.org/forums/) and spouts “not much interest”.

2 Likes