Rogue vs mage

Any advice for a mage going against rogues? I seem to just wait till I get hit then blink and try to poly. Sometimes that works but sometimes they reach my before poly is done. I don’t really know rogue moves so don’t know what to look for. I am elemental spec right now in retro trying to practice. Sometimes I feel like they vanish like 50 times.

What’s the move they do when they stun me but nothing happens? I don’t move but they don’t come out of stealth?

Thx guys.

I didn’t play vanilla, started BC so im not sure if its different but I did main rogue most xpacs and usually the only mages I had trouble with were frost that knew how to kite very well. Not sure if mages had the toolbox to counter rogues back then or not. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in

Sap?

I am curious as well as I am looking at this class. I assume blink, FB or block and then…

Git gud. Not to be mean but just do some research/watch videos of mages dueling people. Rogues can be annoying if you don’t know wth you’re doing. A good mage should be able to take down any melee class with some ease.

Don’t waste defensive when you’re just stunned, save them for when you’re being melted, you can eat and drink sometimes in a duel if you can get away/out of combat too. Mages real strength comes from being able to control the fight and have a focused burst.

Rogue opens with Cheap Shot
-> Blink
-> Frost Nova
-> Sheep

Not going to lie it will be much more difficult if you’re not full frost.

The move you’re talking about is Kidney Shot

• Finishing move that stuns target. Lasts longer per combo point. (1pt = 2s, 5pt = 6s).

This will give the rogue enough time to drop combat and go back into stealth.

There is also Blind:

• Blinds the target, causing it to wander disoriented for up to 10 sec. Any damage caused will remove the effect. Lasts 10s.

In general you want to eat the Kidney Shot and use your PVP trinket for the blind.

Don’t forget that using rank 1 Frostbolt is also a viable way to kite in PVP. It’s a very fast cast, very low mana cost and keeps the enemy in combat while you wait for cooldowns.

1 Like

Depending on a rogues spec, they’ll do very well against a mage.

Mages will do slightly better against Sin rogues, but overall I would say rogues do well against mages… while have a pretty steep disadvantage against Sub rogues.

Mages are squishy, so it’s really bad if a rogue opens on you… best thing you can do is catch a rogue in stealth. Rank 1 arcane blast around, rank 1 blizzard…

50% of my Time in Old AV for my 60 rogue, I spent just stealth-ing around looking mages who sit for food and water lol… my favorite thing to do.

Sometimes 1 shot Ambush crits xD

1 Like

Rogues are tough. But it isn’t a foregone conclusion that you will lose. If you run frost, remember that lighting them up with a Fireball will put a small dot on them, it can keep them out of stealth long enough for you to put them down.

1 Like

Watch Venruki on twitch. He will show you everything you need to know.

A specific video would be “Venruki vs Payo classic duel”

1 Like

Run. As fast as you can.

So if u catch him in blizzard. I assume it will put a dot on him and not let him vanish? Then u can blink for distance (if your close) then polymorph then whatever?

If I were to run around and spam arcane blast and found him. I would probably Nova him quick then get some distance an poly?

Usually if I can get a poly I’ll pyroblast then do a rank 1 frost bolt in hopes of freezing so he can’t vanish. Then from there kite (frost nova, blink) and cycle instant casts (fireblast. Cone of cold. Firewave? Forget what it’s called).

I hope he got better because he had no idea what he was doing last time i saw him.

Oh. And frost mages eat rogues for breakfast. Regardless of their spec.

1 Like

It seems to me he knows what he is about. Very good knowledge for any aspiring mage.

Kraun from APES also streams. He’s a good pserver mage that knows vanilla really well.

Did Xanthak say Venruki had no idea how to duel rogues? If, I would love to see some of your dueling videos so you can show us how its done.

Vanilla was easy to figure out. I good player like him should be able to figure it out in no time. Last time i watched any stream was maybe a 2-3 weeks ago and he had a lot to learn.

No i said last time i saw him, he didn’t know how to play yet. Retail and Vanilla are different games.

And notice i said YET.

Looking for input on this rotation.

So if u catch him in blizzard. I assume it will put a dot on him and not let him vanish? Then u can blink for distance (if your close) then polymorph then whatever?

If I were to run around and spam arcane blast and found him. I would probably Nova him quick then get some distance an poly?

Usually if I can get a poly I’ll pyroblast then do a rank 1 frost bolt in hopes of freezing so he can’t vanish. Then from there kite (frost nova, blink) and cycle instant casts (fireblast. Cone of cold. Firewave? Forget what it’s called).

Actually I am not sure. While the blizzard is channeled, the rogue is indeed being damaged and kept out of stealth - as long as he doesn’t leave the spell circle. There is a slowing effect that each click of the blizzard puts on the targets, but that effect is not a dot (damage). The length of this frost slowing effect is dependent on how the mage is talented. A rogue needs to chime in here and let us know of the slow effect inhibits stealth. I don’t think it does.

i would like to theorize or give advice on how to be good at the game, but i can’t remember how pvp worked from 15 years ago and i don’t have the game in my hands right now