Rogue energy regeneration bug

There seems to be a bug where sometimes my energy regeneration will skip a tick and not give me 20 energy, but the next tick gives 40.

Plenty of times I’m at 20 energy, and then goes up to 60 so I can get a backstab off. It doesn’t seem to be a visible bug, at least I don’t think so, because I’ve tried other abilities that should go off with 40 energy and they don’t work.

Has anyone else noticed this?

7 Likes

I dont play rogue but I’m starting to believe alot of classes are finding bugs due to some sort of spell lag or delay

Yes, if I open just before an energy tick, it skips the tick and then gives me 40 the next.

I also notice it inexplicably ending up at nonround numbers. This can happen due to energy refunds on attacks that don’t land, but I’m sure I’ve noticed it at times when that wasn’t the culprit.

5 Likes

I can reproduce this 100%. Energy never behaved like this in vanilla.

Steps to reproduce: (*note that this can be done with or without an energy tick addon. This example is using 31 point Assassination(Vigor) giving 110 energy, though it can be reproduced without.)

[The time of the first tick(1) after distract is Time 0]

1. [T-Xs](110e -> 80e)
    Distract to ensure that energy ticks are synced with server.

2. [T=0s](80e ->100e)
    Wait for energy tick(1).

3. [T+1.9s](100e -> 40e)
    Cheap Shot right before the next energy tick(2).

4. [T+2.0s](40e -> 40e)
    Immediately after Cheap Shot, no energy tick(2) occurs, energy remains at 40e.
    Energy should be at 60e here.
    *(note that this also rules out a mistiming by the tester in reproduction, as energy would be left at 50 energy with Vigor if they had mistimed Cheap Shot just after the tick.)

5. [T+2.0s until T+3.9s](40e -> 40e)
    Spam Backstab to demonstrate that it is not a display bug. No Backstab occurs.

6. [T+4.0](40e -> 80e)
    Wait for next energy tick(3) after the missed tick(2). 40 energy is gained.

7. [T+4.1+](80e -> 20e)
    Backstab.

Tested both with and without addons. For tests with addons, NugEnergy was the energy tick addon used.

11 Likes

I discovered and tested this morning as well with the same steps above, but with only 100 energy (no vigor) and came to report, glad there’s already a thread.

What I did notice though, is that after you cheap shot (while replicating the bug), when you only have 40 energy, if you immediately Sinister Strike, your energy will correct itself to 20, you will be halfway through your energy tick, and your next tick will take you to 40. This actually allows you to SS twice in a shorter amount of time than if you had used Cheap Shot slightly earlier and your tick correctly taking you to 60 energy.

This means that you ARE correctly at 60 energy but it’s bugged in a way that you cannot utilize all 60 energy and it does not display that you have 60 energy.

2 Likes

removing leeway and spell batching will fix 50% of these bugs.

5 Likes

Unfortunately for rogues, this wouldn’t be in that 50%

If you use ambush as an energy tic happens sometimes it’ll eat your energy tic and instead you’ll get it back next tic. That’s why you’re seeing 40. You’re not really gaining any energy more than you should. You’re just losing 20 energy for a cycle until it updates again.

this looks like about as much of a bug as 2 white hits landing at the same time. the spell batching is implemented to act in place of latency that is no longer present which would have otherwise prevented people from playing the game perfectly.

In 15 years it has never worked this way. The problem isn’t that anyone is “gaining more energy than they should” it’s that energy ticks don’t work like this. It should never be skipping a cycle and refunding that 20 energy on the next cycle.

If you open at any time before an energy tick happens you should be getting that tick next cycle for 20 energy. An ability taking up an energy tick is a bug.

This has nothing to do with spell batching. If creating artificial lag were the case, it would just mean that the skill you’re using would come in AFTER the energy tick is happening and you would just go from 40 -> 60 energy in the next tick

2 Likes

This is still an issue.

3 Likes

Happens all the time on openers. Feels super wonky and definitely not something that happened in vanilla.

4 Likes

Been dealing with this since classic launch, brushed it off hoping it would fix itself.

This bug is not circumstantial and occurs every time I ambush/cheapshot while my energy is milliseconds from ticking; if my energy tick bar is 3/4 full; it will not delay the 20 energy on the next tick; but it does not allow me to play how I should and shaves those crucial seconds that more or less can make or break 1v1 pvp situations.

I assumed all rogues suffered from this bug, until I just now watched pshero PVP and realized he does not suffer from this; which in turn puts me at a disadvantage compared to other rogues not suffering this issue.

On the Brightside; it means there is possibly a fix, and I will report back if I find one!

3 Likes

I don’t think they’ve even acknowledged that vanish broken let alone energy bugs exist

Druids are also dealing with this issue btw

2 Likes

Can confirm. Jesus christ so many bugs for every class.

2 Likes

Hopefully blue is so silent cause they’re just too hard at work fixing these.

3 Likes

Every 3rd to 5th energy tick gives 21 energy atm. It’s not consistent but if you spend energy and watch ticks closely you will notice.

Why? No clue.

BTW, also the case for druids in cat form. I notice this quite often.

Can confirm still a bug. It’s been affecting me since launch on my rogue.

I wonder when bugs like these will be fixed???

1 Like

bump for blizzard’s attention

1 Like