Rivendreth obliterating my laptop!?!

I’m playing on a MSI GS75, which has 10th gen i7, and a 2070, and 16gb ram. It runs with auto fan control.

My graphics settings are all on “recommended” despite the fact I know the hardware can easily handle the higher settings.

Anyway, I was doing just fine in all content until I got to Rivendreth. Since starting that zone, while I’m in that zone only, I can play for about 30 minutes to an hour with my fans barely running, and then all of a sudden they go to max speed for a few seconds and the machine completely shuts off.

At first I thought it was a fluke, but after experiencing this 4 or 5 times, I’m at a loss.

I spent an entire day doing dungeons and BGs, dailies and boreghast and had zero problems. My laptop stayed cool and the fans rarely went above a whisper. As soon as I switched characters and went to Rivendreth… 33 minutes in the laptop was hot, the fans maxed out, and poof.

I don’t want to break my computer by continuing to deal with it, but I am confused as to what is going on that that zone, and only that zone, is torching my laptop?

First of all, if the fans only ramp up shortly before the machine shuts off due to thermal throttling, then the fan profile isn’t set correctly or proactively enough. You should be able to tweak that.

Each zone has different issues for cards - we see people complaining about Ardenweald, or bastion, or revendreth. You might want to check the thread about weird and varied graphics issues in revendreath.