Rise of Azshara Story Discussion (SPOILERS)

If we’re going this route, I’d rather have it be Sylvanas tied up by Baine, Jaina, Talanji, Anduin and Genn on all fours, only to have her mask taken off to reveal Garrosh beneath, rambling about meddling factions.

Don’t think I don’t see you, Graves.

3 Likes

Lor’themar: That plan would infuriate Blightcaller… which makes me like it all the more.

blizzard no!! don’t make me like lor’themar!!

4 Likes

I like Lor’themar, they just never give the guy a cool moment.

Though, Isle of Thunder and Domination Point were good first steps.

1 Like

Lor’themar always gets right up against being an interesting character and then promptly disappears into the background again.

3 Likes

At least they don’t retcon his character’s arc in every book/expansion, like a certain human mage.

Paused progress is better than reverted progress, I suppose.

2 Likes

I knew I liked Lor’themar for a reason

1 Like

Saurfang, Thrall, the Alliance… it is vexing to know our quarry escaped. But we must trust in the warchief’s plan.
Soon your loyalty will face an even greater test. I do hope you prove worthy of the Dark Lady’s favor.
I have been recalled to Orgrimmar. Remain in Nazjatar. Keep playing along with these traitorous vipers… until you are summoned.

It seems we all escape with no losses from rescuing Baine

1 Like

So, it turns out that Azshara wanted us to empower the Heart, because she needed it to break N’zoth’s prison. She knew we’d bring it right to her.

As far as Blizzard’s recent writing goes, that’s not horrible, imo.

4 Likes

I saw that as well. Not a bad twist really.

I mean it’s not the most jaw dropping thing I’ve ever seen, but it’s more of a twist than I was anticipating tbh. I thought Ion was gonna go “Azshara was evil the whole time!” and pretend we didn’t know that.

2 Likes

The Tidestone of Golganneth! That must be how she was able to part the sea!
The naga incursions must have been a distraction. But if the Tidestone can manipulate that much water, we are all in grave danger. She could flood Nazjatar in an instant.
We cannot allow that to happen. We must find a way to break the barrier and secure the Tidestone.
But why lure us here? Why not simply drown us and be done with it?
Obtaining the tidestone must be our top priority, but we cannot press further into Azshara’s realm without first knowing what we’re up against.

Lor’themar: Azshara’s forces are routed. We have broken her hold on the Tidestone.
Jaina: That maelstrom still blocks our path into her palace.
Thalyssra: The Tidestone’s power could be used to quell the storm…
Thalyssra: But I can’t control its energies on my own.
Jaina: Perhaps we could… together.
Thalyssra: It is done. The way is open.
Jaina: Then let us ready our forces. Azshara’s reign must end.
Azshara: I must say, that was a delightfully dramatic entrance.
Azshara: Welcome to my Eternal Palace, honored guests. Our festivities can finally commence.
Azshara: I fear there are a few final details that require my attention. Until I return, my servants will keep you… entertained.

You know what else I can appreciate, that they at least had the self-awareness to have Jaina and Lor’themar be the ones to make peace, and even have Lor’themar reminisce on Taran Zhu’s lesson.

If they’re gonna redo MoP, they needed to at least be aware of that in the plot. Have the characters go “Wow we’re here again… this is kind of ridiculous.” and acknowledge the repetition of history.

6 Likes

I always thought that was one of Blizzard’s cleverer tropes. It was the same reason why Arthas kept letting us get away. He wanted us to become stronger so he could make us into his strongest undead.

I agree. Though I notice they’re only doing this now, months after the fact, after a lot of public criticism.

7 Likes

Here are the full Horde and Alliance broadcast discussing a truce:

Lor’themar: Proudmoore and Shaw risked their lives to rescue Baine? Unexpected.
Thalyssra: That animosity only benefits Azshara. Her power is considerable. Divided, we are no match for her–or the master she serves.
Lor’themar: Cooperation between our sides has been the exception, not the rule. More often, we are at each other’s throats.
Thalyssra: Is it? Not long ago, Alliance and Horde fought together to liberate Suramar from the Legion.
Lor’themar: Sylvanas has the loyalty of the people. So long as she is warchief, this war will rage within their hearts. We cannot stop it.
Thalyssra: Perhaps we do not need to. It might be enough to direct our attacks against Azshara rather than the Alliance.
Lor’themar: That plan would infuriate Blightcaller… which makes me like it all the more. Hmm… “It stops when you turn from one another and walk away…”
Thalyssra: Yes. We also have a history of setting differences aside to fight greater foes.
Lor’themar: A lesson once taught to Jaina Proudmoore and me. Your counsel is wise, Thalyssra. Our focus must be on ending Azshara’s reign.
Thalyssra: A truce then? We fight Azshara here, not one another.
Lor’themar: But if the Alliance undermines our efforts, the flames of war will rise again.

Genn: Good to have you back, Jaina. Why did King Anduin summon you?
Jaina: Sylvanas ordered the execution of Baine Bloodhoof. Anduin sent us into Orgrimmar to rescue him.
Genn: You risked your lives to save a leader of the Horde?!
Jaina: After what he did for Derek, I felt I owed him a debt. We received some unexpected help from Saurfang… and Thrall.
Shandris: You were fortunate that you were not betrayed. Presenting your heads might have regained their warchief’s favor.
Jaina: We had a common enemy. Sylvanas wanted us at each other’s throats. Perhaps that’s what Azshara wants, too.
Genn: Hold on… Are you suggesting we lay down our arms and fight beside them? After all they’ve done?!
Jaina: No. Merely that we direct our efforts against Azshara instead of the Horde. That could buy time for Saurfang’s rebellion to take root.
Jaina: There must be vengeance for Teldrassil. But if Azshara is not stopped, she will unleash her master upon the world.
Genn: Very well. We will focus on defeating the naga queen. But if the Horde turns against us, they will answer for it.

Lampshading doesn’t tend to work if the audience already noticed your nonsense. >_>

Shame they didn’t do it sooner.

2 Likes

Thalyssra: thank you so much for helping us overthrow this awful tyrant, Alliance champion!
Also Thalyssra: screw the Alliance!!! they’re just too distant man, I’m going to go burn down their tree
Also also Thalyssra: wasn’t it just the best where we could all get along nicely? :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

You would, Enekie. And that’s why we love you.

1 Like

Also the Zandalari were everywhere in 5.2, as well.

Gracious.

1 Like

I’m actually getting an AU Gul’dan feel for Sylvanas this expansion the further along we get. I have a sneaking suspicion that whatever happens to her this expansion she will be the direct link to the next one.

1 Like