Rise of Azshara Story Discussion (SPOILERS)

The parallels with pulp-science/comic concept of atomic power are all there when it comes to Azerite.

I.E. it never actually gets put into nuclear bombs or provides regional electricity, but is instead used to justify all kinds of impractically overpowered inventions, is coveted greatly by villains for their schemes, and exposure results in whatever mutations (good or bad) the story calls for- or none at all.

It’s even a glowing rock/ooze, only blue and gold instead of green.

2 Likes

Huh, I never actually looked at it like that before. That is an interesting thought.

See, I looked at azerite and thought it looked like an in-game representation of oil. It’s in a lot of places, seeping out of the ground. We think it’s necessary. We’re willing to fight over it.

1 Like

This, and some of the quests in Tiragarde Sound regarding the Ashvane Company, sort of make me wish that BfA would’ve been a critique of American capitalism.

They’d never do that for obvious reasons, of course, but man, if it wouldn’t be spicy.

4 Likes

So it looks like Lor’themar is gonna be throwing his lot in with Baine and Friends but he isn’t sure if his people will follow him, so maybe Quel’thalas is gonna see even more internal strife soon lmao.

5 Likes

Is it just me, or is “a leader wants to do the right thing but their citizens won’t let them” a minor theme in the Horde?

I just want to know whose bright idea it was to put Clown’themar on the throne.

“I sure hope my people will agree with me when I say that war is bad and murder is wrong!” says leader who has systematically exiled anyone with morals.

2 Likes

Datamined conversation suggests the end of the faction is right on track, like it was in MoP.

But it also kind of renders the whole faction war pointless. All the genocide and war and no one’s going to answer for it. Again.

3 Likes

This is unfortunately the problem with WoW, gameplay trumps lore. So realistically the Alliance would just defeat the Horde, kill Sylvanas, and then have the Horde dismantled completely, especially since we already gave them a slap on the wrist after MoP.

But NOPE. The Alliance will help the Horde take down Sylvanas and then be like, “Alright you guys don’t do this a third time okay???” And then everything will go back to normal because obviously Blizzard isn’t going to get rid of the Horde faction.

The only remotely close thing I could see them doing to “get rid of factions”, is having both the Horde and Alliance under one banner as allies, but each faction remains as the Alliance and Horde, and the leader of this new united faction would be a council of all the leaders of each race.

3 Likes

It’s going to be hilarious when Baine declares genocidal war on the Alliance and destroys Ironforge.

2 Likes

Where these datamined conservations at? I wanna watch lor’themar put on his clown makeup, too

This is a total throwaway line, but it made me giggle.

The Horde’s locksmiths must be learning from the Zandalari.

I love the idea that among the Horde’s regimented castes of casters, warriors, shamans and siege engineers, there’s just a couple of guys who only make locks.

Need something slain? Seek out Gor Doomwail. Need to talk to a spirit? Find Kalthok Tidewalker. Need a lock? Find Eric Grimlock.

I would legitimately love to see us lose this expac. I would love to see the Horde and Alliance so decimated by Aszhara and N’Zoth that they end up no more powerful or influential than any other NPC faction.

1 Like

In the mmo-champion thread I linked earlier. Here’s the Lor’themar specific bit:

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/2420660-BfA-Patch-Speculation-thread-(8-2-and-later)?p=51084141&viewfull=1#post51084141

Unknown_Female: For all her lies, Priscilla Ashvane spoke one truth. The war between the Alliance and Horde has kept us distracted. Divided, we have no hope against N’Zoth.
Unknown_Male: We may have found common cause here in Nazjatar, but the battle still rages beyond these waters. So long as Sylvanas holds Orgrimmar, there can be no lasting peace.
Unknown_Female: The war needs to end, Lor’themar. You know this to be true.
Unknown_Male: I had hoped that reason would prevail. But the time has come to finish this.
Unknown_Male: I will tell my people what transpired here. Of how Azshara fell because we stood together. Of the threat rising from the depths, and all that is at stake if we should fail.
Unknown_Male: Then I will take my place beside Saurfang and Thrall, and pray that the sin’dorei stand with me.

1 Like

I’m leaning towards the unknown female being Jaina.

Would be kinda cool if it was Alleria though

1 Like

good friggin lord it really is the island of thunder exactly

jaina and lor’themar are gonna fight again until the naga zharan thu reminds them that genocide and being a meanypants are the exact same thing

1 Like

I hope it isn’t Jaina, I am really getting tired of her. This whole expansion feels like the Alliance can’t have any story unless Jaina is involved. I am tired of the “human potential” bs we are really getting this expansion.

1 Like

Also I’m quoting this directly from said thread because I think y’all missed it.

Unknown_Female: Puppets… fools. The Banshee baited you… to your own slaughter.
Unknown_Female: Gave Azshara… what she wanted. N’Zoth will rise… his madness… comes…
Unknown_Female: Ashvane spoke with a serpent’s tongue, but… could she be right? Were we lured to Nazjatar as part of some dark bargain?

Sylvanas has a thing for domineering water-bound feminine entities, it seems.

1 Like

Kind of nice how all the reasoning behind a war can be undone by a throwaway line from a boss.

Ally: “This war is bad.”
Alliance and Horde: “NO WE HAVE OUR REASONS FUH FUH FUH”

Enemy: “This war is bad.”
Alliance and Horde: “hey you’re right”

Maybe we should just try that first when Baine starts world war three…four? Five?

We don’t kinkshame in this house.