Rise of Azshara patch performance issues

So, I’ve been using a MacBook Pro for years to play WOW and with each patch have had to adjust video settings DOWN to get a decent FPS. Today has been no exception - except for the fact that I was already running with almost everything turned down to its lowest settings so I could play. I was getting 45-50FPS pre-patch…I’m now sitting at a barely playable 20-22FPS. The ONLY option I have now is to reduce resolution from 2560x1600 to 2048x1280 which brings me up to 30 FPS. I am using a mid-2015 MacBook Pro - hardly old at all. I am not going to buy a computer just to play WOW - this is something that your QA should have caught and engineering should have addressed long before the patch was released. Seriously Blizzard - do you even care about your Mac users at all? Why do you continue to take a collective dump on Mac users?

5 Likes

Same. I’m running it at 2560x1600 AND 50% resolution scale at slightly tweaked “3” settings and getting max 35-40 fps when previously I cruised at 60 pretty normally (with the exception of raids which take me down to about 12-15fps).

Hi there friends,

Recently we have seen an uptake in contacts about performance issues on Mac computers. The trend we are seeing is that the OS is not updated or the system it’s self is below the requirements.

The system may have ran before hand, but if below the requirements, it may not support the needed API for the game.

Feel free to post back with what type of Mac you are on for us to check if you are not sure. Just the build number will do.

/Nathardrick

MacBook Pro 15" mid-2015 with AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2 GB on macOS Mojave 10.14.5 at 2880x1800 (50% resolution scale)

Prior to 8.2 I’d get ~20fps at Graphics Quality 8 and ~50fps at Graphics Quality 6 (my Raid/Battleground setting).

Now in 8.2 I get ~8fps at Graphics Quality 8 and ~20fps at Graphics Quality 1.

Activity monitor shows the GPU is 100% utilized.

This performance drop is not our computers’ fault.

(Exact FPS varies… I took the above measurements standing near the Tickles world quest in Nazjatar. It goes from ~8fps to ~13fps if I move to the Coral Forest.)

Model Name: MacBook Pro 15", mid 2015
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
Memory: 16 GB
Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 M370X

I get around 15-20 fps running 2880x1800 @ 50% resolution scale in low congestion areas. In high congestion areas its under 10 fps. Especially in Nazjatar. So much moving water just kills me.

I used to get 60 pretty much everywhere but raids.