Revisiting Azeroth: NW Eastern Kingdoms

So I’ve noticed there’s a fair amount of posters here who, like myself, would love the next expansion to focus on rebuilding Azeroth proper.

It seems fitting. Legion was a BC sequel, BFA was a prequel to SL which is very much a Wrath sequel. So why not a Cataclysm sequel but one more about setting Azeroth back to a nice, comfy status quo?

But of course we’ll need new content to justify returning to Azeroth. I’d love if others with different lore experises ventured ideas for different zones, but for now I’m going to focus on just a few zones I know well.

Specifically Tirisfal, Silverpine and Gilneas.

Prolgue

The Forsaken, given newfound legal legitimacy with Queen Menethil returning to the throne, have brokered a tense ceasefire with Greymane. The Worgen remain wary however, as it is an open secret the ‘Bright Lady’ as some call her is but a figurehead disinterested in power. Currently her time is spent in the Plaguelands helping to rehabilitate the lingering forces of the Scarlet Risen and bring them into the Forsaken’s fold. There she is aided by the Bishop of Secrets Alonsos Faol and unlikely allies in the form of two horsemen, Sir Zelik and Lady Whitemane, who feel they might yet atone for past sins by helping a people they feel uniquely connected to.

The Forsaken are governed by a reformed Desolate Council, and many Forsaken still wanted for war crimes have worrying influence over it. Governor Gray remains adamant the head transplant incident was merely a social experiment.

Meanwhile in Northrend, the Scarlet Onslaught has seen popularity and recruitment higher than even after the Third War. With Alliance leadership crippled after the abduction of High King Anduin, the Scarlets arrived unsolicited on the shores of Elywyn to provide critical aid in putting down the rampaging, feral Scourge that had begun to run rampant and unchecked in the last continental kingdom of man.

Although Emergency Commander Turalyon was made aware of the Scarlets troubled past, he was in no position to turn away the aid. Even if he were, the Scarlets quickly gained popularity amongst the human and Lightforged population as Knights in crimson armor. Though the Scarlets sneering contempt for all inhumans (save for the Lightforged Draenei) was well known savier Preachers pivoted to militant support of aiding the inhumans in resettlement. Even going so far as to lend ships to the Gilneans to expedite their return home.

While Greymane was suspicious of the Scarlets newfound empathy for cursed humans, he too was unable to argue with the aid, and merely attempted to frusturate any larger Scarlet influence on Gilnean resettlement.

Where We Start

“Curse their sudden but inevitable betrayal!” says local Worgen.

“How many times do we have to teach you this lesson, hu-man?!” says local Forsaken.

Yup the Scarlet Onslaught, and let’s just for fun say they’ve rebranded as the Crimson Imperium, have launched a new Crusade against Lordaeron and Gilneas to reclaim the northern kingdoms of man from the detestable mutants that have made it their home.

I figure Tirisfal more or less looks the same with the Scarlets retaking the same places they always hung out. We of course have a revamped Monastery where I think Voss and Whitemane could have a fun if awkward reunion.

In Silverpine I’d say the Scarlets have taken over Shadowfang Keep and the surrounding area. They brand the castle Redwing Redoubt, and it is the base of one Grand Evangelist Leopold Brimstone. He claims to have once been one of the heroes who stepped into the shattered sky and saw the souls of Scarlets suffering in the dark places. He of course concludes this was because they weren’t zealous enough. And spoiler - isn’t a Dreadlord. Seriously let’s just have a crazed human who was driven mad by delusion, not the devil or Cthulu. Figure we can have his propaganda sermons booming from the once haunted, now falsely hallowed castle.

In Gilneas I’d have the Scarlets covering the docks and what remains of Greymane’s Wall. Cutting off all reinforcements and forcing the Worgen into Hillsbrad where they have a mutually begrudging alliance with the Forsaken.

I’d also throw in a dungeon in Gilneas where the lead villain is a ‘sanctified’ undead Houndmaster Loksey, who’s using torture techniques picked up from his soul’s time in Revendreth to turn Worgen into personal attack dogs.

And I’d do a fun quest where as a Worgen you use your human form to infiltrate the Scarlets and sneak behind enemy lines to liberate some captured Bloodfangs.

The Forsaken will have a similar one rescuing Deathstalkers but it’ll be prefaced by a quest where you’ve to ‘freshen yourself up’ by collecting Scarlet flesh and body parts for a convincing disguise. You cover your eyes and masquerades as one of the self mutilated Scarlet flagelants. Bonus points if your character can ask how they’ll navigate with no eye sight and the Forsaken Apothecary sewing up your skin suit will just point at his own empty eye sockets and say we just seem to manage.

Quest ends at a Scarlet camp where they’re essentially bear baiting but with worgen and the Forsaken. And you arrive in time to stop Bloodfang and Belmont from ripping eachother apart. Pointing out we’re both regarded as monstrous filth here so their priorities are pretty skewed.

Questline ends with a joint assault on SFK. Some Forsaken and Worgen walk away with a newfound respect for eachother. Others can’t let the past die. The road to peace isn’t there, yet. But the directions to it are. Either way it has become clear, the north no longer belongs to man. It belongs to the nightbreed.

16 Likes

I’m down for any content that continues the traditions of inexplicably alive Scarlets crawling out of the vents and out from underneath rocks. That sounds sarcastic but I legit love them being the cockroaches of Azeroth, it’s fun to have villain groups that stick around and provide recurring stories.

Doing something with the Onslaught is a good idea, too. I imagine Northrend would still be inhabited.

7 Likes

And they’re such good villains! With the Alliance having their own Halloween race now we could also drive home the human supremacist angle.

Idk spooky things just trying to make their own neighborhood having to beat the ish out of deranged religious zealots is just fun to me.

5 Likes

Extra bonus points;

In the SFK we’ve Brimstone say

Die monsters! You don’t belong in this world!

And Belmont responds with, of course,

What are you men but miserable piles of secrets?!

Just pepper the whole thing with horror game and movie references. Maybe the Forsaken plague the Scarlets and they wander around going “Itchy… tasty”.

Could have a Worgen quest called 'Stay Off The Moors. Another called Bloody Tears. So much potential.

Edit: This is Ben shamelessly bumping on an alt if that wasn’t clear.

2 Likes

Thats a pretty cool premise, and I could get behind it. To your first point, I concur, I would enjoy a break from the cosmic story and focus on story lines about the nations of azeroth that of course could lead to some cosmic story but not for another expansion or two.

I would like to see:
stormwind noble house quests, what has become of the defias, the refugees, the scourge in in redridge and duskwood.

Dwarves maybe excavate new ruins and have internal strife about sharing the new information. Could include gnomes too?

Al though I feel the draenei had a good amount of lore in legion I would like to see a new settlement for them or maybe a new joint settle ment with the NE’s in hyjal?
And of course new NE settlements around hyjal with questing to uncover whats going on in the region and reclaimation efforts

Also I have come to conclude that a total war story like entire horde vs entire alliance does not work out well for story telling, and isnt entirely satisfying. However I do like the animosity between the horde and alliance but it feels kind of stupid to go to war after banning together to stop the legion. It felt stupid to me that the horde blindly followed into the war of thorns for that very reason.

Anywho I think the war stories can continue as they did in vanilla with small factions. I couldd see a new faction of the silverwing sentinels form and they want to continue to fight into the barrens or clean up the ashenvale borders as for the horde there can be story lines of chosing to fight with the warsong outriders.

I think that could work with the forsaken vs gilnean too. Add factions on either side to continue the small skirmish story lines.

I think that is rebuilding of the world expansion Idea would be a good time to bring player / guild housing too. It would be a lot of fun and gamewise give us a lot of reasons to revisit old content or updated old content.

I’ll add more as it comes to mind.

7 Likes

hm I should probably share my alternate improved azeroth take at a later date.

I think the main questlines should be about forging an uneasy peace between hated enemies over a newfound threat.

I’m just picturing a scene where worgen are tied up and being beheaded one by one, then tossed into a fire as a Scarlet Preacher booms about how every dead mutant cleanses a sin.

And their ears perk up. They can hear it, but the humans can’t. A low but approaching subsonic screech. At first they think it might be the whiring of Gnomish gyrocopters. They grimace when it gets closer, and realize it’s the quiet echo of Forsaken war bats. They fly over and drop targeted low yield Blight bombs.

Even the worgen are caught off guard when Deathstalkers burst from the ground and start cutting down the retreating Scarlets. The Worgen struggle to break their restraints as a portal stone is tossed down by one of the Deathstalkers.

It rips open and a huge, armored abomination steps out with a wild eyed Forsaken woman sitting on his shoulders looking at maps along with a column of Forsaken shock troopers.

The abomination staggers over to the Worgen. They flinch and close their eyes, trying to make their last thought a beautiful one, but are only met with a cold, giant and foul smelling hand trying to pet them.

PUPPIES!” The abomination cries.

The Forsaken woman, Lady Sena, gently prodes the abomination’s head with a tesla coil.

Gordo! These are combatants flagged unfriendly yet not hostile! Cut their ties already. You, wolf people, reports find your kind need reinforcements at coordinates 47,52. Designation: Amber Mill. We’d provide transportation but it’s my understanding you run quite quickly. Fly, fly” she said, turning indifferently to the task at hand and leaving the Worgen to their own devices.

8 Likes

I do like this, and I like that they always have a more extreme name with each iteration. Next will be the Scarlet Armageddon.

4 Likes

I thought Crimson Imperium was pretty good. Maybe their spec ops are called the Red Death. So many options.

3 Likes

The Scarlets are overused. If there is to be a crusade across Lordaeron, it should be driven by Turalyon, Genn Greymane and Ivar Bloodfang.

Yes, forging new bonds and overcomming the past would be great over arching themes. I really like your ideas (and imagination! Youre very creative)

The forsaken and worgen comming together in that questline like that would be a good pay off.

As I mentioned I do like some of the war themes amongst the aliiance and horde sub factions like the silver wing and warsong, excuse the pun but they are classic lol.
I imagine the story like could be like:
Sentinels begrudgingly following the armstice and following reclamation efforts. Quests to help lost citizens, cleanse areas of blight, taking care of local wild life threats or aiding them. Maybe some quests to explore barrow dens ( Could be some DH NE lore opportunity there with some NE DH’s set up a base of operations to help their people once again.)

I dont imagine peace between these two factions would be entirely feasible narrative wise just yet, so I would imagine there would be some quests leading into a sub faction conflict in that region that could conclude with either side stopping at their respective borders but vowing vengeance leading into an updated battle ground.

However I do like your theme of forging bonds. There could be something done to that extend but i have no ideas at the moment, I feel like my druid and NE DH would be more than willing to engage the horde in that area.

I want to ask how you envision the forsaken going forward? Do they reclaim UC? Take Necropoli idea from maldraxxus? I simply inhabit a whole new area. I like the idea of northern lordearon having floating necropoli, and being plague land- esque while the Easter and Western plague lands get a revamp.

3 Likes

Yeah let’s do the go nowhere faction conflict some more. It’s only an asinine storyline that is completely dissatifying every single time because the nature of the game means no one can actually win or lose.

And I say this as someone who loves PvP. World PvP especially. I love killing Alliance. I’m grinning everytime I find an AFK blue dude who decided to idle near a ledge. I’m in ecstasy when they return just a moment too late to their keyboard and have to watch as their trinket was wasted, and their character plummets toward the uncaring ground.

And even still I reject the notion entirely that the faction conflict being spotlighted has done anything good for the game’s narrative.

Returning to an uneasy peace Cold War is the only way forward.

1 Like

Speak for yourself, I’d be very satisfied with some Bloodfang unleashed content in Lordaeron. Scarlet Fun Times Part XII could hardly be a more boring concept.

We can do an inverse Cataclysm, if you like. Forsaken can get content in Thousand Needles helping build tauren tents or w/e while worgen get content rampaging across Lordaeron.

1 Like

Man go to bed. Don’t know the timezone in your neck of the woods but I already know you’re too white boy wasted if that even sort of sounds like a good idea.

1 Like

“Bro, like, the Scarlets should come back, and we should fight them, again, and, like, there’d be a crusade, and you know, like, the worgen will need to learn to rely on the Forsaken. It’d be totally new, man, and there’d be a theme, right, like, of working together. So good, man.”

I wouldn’t be throwing stones about bad ideas if I were you lmao.

3 Likes

You’re an extremely silly person on an alt but I appreciate the free bumps.

As to the Forsaken going forward I’d not give them any other faction’s toys. I’d love if the Forsaken got a broader sense of perspective from the Maldraxxi, and some architecture and fashion tips from the Venthyr, but ultimately I think they should always be their own thing.

If they were to have a flying fortress for example, I’d prefer it to be some gothic zeppelin powered with lighter than air Blight than a simple necropolis.

And as I’d mentioned I’d reinstate a Desolate Council. The Forsaken being the pioneers of representative democracy on Azeroth clicks for me. Free will is literally a racial ability for them, and on top of that they’ve had decidedly zero good luck with monarchs now that the Banshee Queen left.

I think this would also give the Forsaken a more immediate relateability. I think a redone Tirisfal with various meddling political parties pulling the PC into various quests would be a more innately understandable scenario that would ground the otherwise fairly high concept Forsaken.

And as to other areas, as aforementioned, others would have to tell that to me. But in Northern Kalimdor in particular I’ve always found it sort of weird the Tauren couldn’t try to broker a peace between the Orcs and Kaldorei.

I’d say kinda start these peace talks but maybe a Venture Co. as now led by Gallywix is causing environmental trouble. And at the same time you have fundamentalist Kaldorei druids who think like a chair is blasphemy and they’re also launching terrorist attacks. Maybe they’re trying to build a super weapon that will destroy all artifical creation on Kalimdor. Meaning like even tents and wooden scaffolding would be disintegrated.

And in the same breath you’ve the Venture Co. on the exact opposite end of the spectrum trying to drill into the roots of the World Tree.

1 Like

Hard disagree. The Scarlet radicals are the most likely organization to fill the power vacuum in Lordaeron, Hillsbrad and the plaguelands, in the absence of the Forsaken, and with the withdrawal of Horde and Alliance troops during the scourge events of present.

Furthermore, the humans of Hillsbrad and Silverpine are ripe for radicalization and likely able to spread the Scarlet message to Stormwind. The former Forsaken lands are effectively Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, Lebanon, Palestine- to draw real world parallels.

5 Likes

Dudes just posting on a strawman alt to argue a point nobody has. And isn’t that shameful. Imagine someone using a toon just to pretend they’re from the other faction.

Anyway I whole heartedly agree with Benedikt and also think he’s strikingly handsome and has the best jokes.

6 Likes

That last round of Scarlet lore teases definitely seemed to make a big deal of the elven origins of the worgen curse so I guess whoever runs the show is still a wannabe Garithos