Revert the "ban" on boosting communities

This also includes such communities that played within the rules, were gold-only, etc. It was a flat ban on boosting communities as a whole, regardless of whether a given community was following the rules prior to that policy change.

Technically, the wording is this:

Organizations who offer boosting, matchmaking, escrow, or other non-traditional services, including those offered for gold are prohibited, especially those who operate across multiple realms.

It was absolutely the RMT people they were going for as well as those who spanned multiple realms with “For gold…we promise!” but when you contacted them, it was no longer for gold. Blizz was just covering their butts since these organizations were actually not boosting for gold but would advertise on every realm.

Again, as long as those posting boosts for gold follow the rules, it’s really not an issue. I don’t see the use of “communities” in the rules as it would seem to be more of a player-made term. I’m not sure how you might define “community” in this context, but I think I see it from a different lens. I see it more as the organizations pretending to be following the rules until you had to contact them on discord, etc.

And no, I do not believe this particular rule about organizations should change. They were, and really still are a plague.

4 Likes

Did you ever purchase a service from a boosting community before? I used a few reputable ones and RMT was never a part of the discussion. I won’t say “None of them were RMT!” because I didn’t use every community that was out there, but I will say there were definitely ones out there that played by the rules.

It’s defined by the context of that very same blue post:

I have in the past used and been a part of legitimate community for it.

It’s a good payout and organised very well. Discord call is made to organise roles for the carry. Gold only. That is from the selling runs - end.

The reason these were shutdown is unfortunately even in these situations gold obtained was being used for RMT on the other side of the fence aka being sold for $$$.

With individual groups this can still happen but not nearly to the same extent.

1 Like

If I had to guess, most players would prefer if even for-gold boost advertising was banned… let players who need for-gold boosts seek out reputable raiding guilds and such to buy said boosts

There’s just so much spam/clutter in chat channels in both Classic and retail, I’ve played long enough (roughly since 2006) to remember a time when most chat channels were still regular/everyday real-life human being players talking versus all the “automated” copy-pasted RMT messages spammed by low-level bots nowadays

Idk, to me it just detracts from the immersion somewhat when I log into the game (regardless of Classic or retail) and see a steady “waterfall” of chat spam with “WTS boost”, “visit such and such RMT site to buy a carry!”, “whisper me for details, WTS boost”

Really really seems like it’s a minority of players that regularly buy RMT boosts/fund these boost-advertising bots in chat channels. I’m guessing the majority of the playerbase never buys boosts at all, and if they do it’s usually a one-time AOTC carry for a mount (for example)

The highly-commercialized “industry” of boosting with constant “waterfall text-spam” cluttering up major chat channels just seems out of place in WoW to me… idk. I was just thinking back to the old days when major chat channels were used primarily by real-life human being players instead of automated WTS bots lol

I’m just going to post again the part that keeps getting left out, because quoting one sentence of an entire article is cherry picking to make it seem like there’s some sort of victimization going on.

World of Warcraft accounts found to be in violation of this policy are subject to account actions. These actions can include

Organizations operating across multiple realms and excessively advertising non-traditional in-game sales are contrary to the terms and conditions of the Blizzard End-User License Agreement (EULA).

/1 is General Chat
/2 is Trade Chat
/3 is LocalDefense
/4 is Trade (Services)
anything after those are ones you’ve created, or something an addon has created to function.

I’m all for people playing the game however they want to…as long as it isn’t harming anyone.
I think boosting communities fall under the category of not harming anyone.

I don’t consider people who perceive they’re being harmed by them as actually being harmed. They “feel” harmed anytime people “beneath them” have success. It makes it difficult for me to care about their feelings.

2 Likes

I’m not surprised unfortunately. Some bad apples led to Blizzard burning the bushel. Although, their stated reasoning was more or less excessive advertising in-game.

The way you described the Discord usage falls in line with my experience as a client. I would pop on the community’s Discord channel and request a service. The gold transaction was setup and logged via chat messages in-game. The transaction was a trade in-game with gold.

From my perspective as a client, this was a very safe way to purchase boosts. It is nothing like that now unfortunately.

This is a little difficult to do, especially on small realms. The perk with a boosting community was that they had a game-wide reputation. If Bobby on dead RP realm Earthen Ring was scammed out of a carry by a community, that entire community’s reputation was at stake.

Now, not only is it difficult to find someone who doesn’t raise four different red flags, but it’s difficult establishing reputation. There is no game-wide word-of-mouth like there was with communities.

Back to your suggestion: I would love to be able to post “LF boosting community” in /5 so I could check them out in their Discord with thousands of users and posts. Unfortunately, that hasn’t been an option since January 2022.

I’m inclined to agree with this.

1 Like

This has gone off the rails a bit. The entire point is that the ban on cross-realm communities where you generally had some people doing the admin work and others actually running the boost has done nothing but make it so that RMT and other predatory forms of boosting are more profitable as they are the only game in town and do not care about getting banned.

If Blizzard would straight ban all boosting I’d be all for it, but this wishy-washy whatever they have done is annoying to legitimate sellers, does nothing about spam, and is actively enriching RMT.

3 Likes

:100:

Boosting communities were never a good thing.

Blizzard should just be doing a better job at enforcing their own ToS.

You don’t need more than a handful of people sitting in services chat shift clicking people to know if they should or should not be advertising boosting services.

But of course, in typical blizzard fashion they just throw their hands in the air and go “we tried nothing super seriously hard and it doesnt work. we’re going to continue trying nothing real good”

When the change to boosting communities came in, I was getting 5-10 of those notifications per day that they had punished someone for misadvertising.

Now i get 0. I havent stopped reporting people. if anything, I report more now because the services chat is completely unreadable.

One easy thing they could do is just limit people chatting in services to max level.

Similarly, why can level 10s advertise groups in the mythic+ LFD for boosting websites?

The whole thing just screams of incompetence.

The thing that gets me is how many of these “boosting” advertise in the newbie chat, us guides tend to report the ones we see but it seems like we hit one, 10 more pop up at times.

It would be one thing if it was in the services channel, but the only reason to post it in the newbie channel, aside from mistakes, is to try and take advantage of new players, who likely don’t even have a character that can run the stuff.

2 Likes

I think that feature’s been broken for a while. I don’t get those “we punished someone” notifications anymore either, even after weeks have gone by since reporting someone for using racially derogatory terms.

I reported like 5 people when trying to use the channel, and got 20 notifications (that I had to read and close 20 times. Never going to report for that again.

I quit being a guide within a few minutes because of this. I’ve also seen videos where new players are greeted to RMT spam in the Exile’s Reach boat cutscene.

The ones who followed the rules weren’t doing this. Pushing out those who followed the rules only made a huge void that the rulebreakers filled. Now we’re left with a mess.

There wasn’t a ban just rules put in place so all the people smart enough to not trust a dodgy 3rd party service don’t have to deal with constant non stop spam from people trying to sell boosts.

This is what tends to happen when new rules are made instead of current ones enforced. It is what makes the bases of saying like “if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns”.

2 Likes

i report all boosting adds in trade/general/etc chat
has the nice side effect of putting them on ignore and erasing them from my chat log

Wait I thought selling boost and m+ and raid carries with gold is 100% allow and doesn’t violate blizzard ToS?