Returning player|Class Identity

Hey guys, I came back to the game recently and have been leveling a few alts but I’ve been feeling fairly overwhelmed by all of the changes. Between picking a class, a spec, a covenant, legendaries, soulbinds, conduits, etc. I’ve been kind of stumped on what class I’d like to funnel my time into. I’ve never been an alt person, I LOVE picking one character and going the distance.

I’ve been reading tier lists for M+, raiding and PVP and honestly, those have been kind of scaring me a long with stories about people being kicked from groups or never picked for M+/Raids because they’re playing “underperforming” specs.

I’d like to do end game content and do high keys and see all the hard fights so I’m just looking your individual opinions. I KNOW people will say “just play what you want” but my ADHD simply will not allow me to make choices like that.

Is there anyone here that can dispel any of the fears about what it’s actually like at endgame or offer and advice at all about what’s really going on?

I typically play rogue or warrior but I’ve dabbled in paladin(ret) and hunter(survival) and I’ve tried to level a warlock but it fell off for me. I used to MT in legion on brewmaster but I’m not sure I’d like to tank again. Maybe a healer?

MAN, I JUST DON’T KNOW

If you are kicked from a group for your spec, it’s a blessing in disguise. You don’t want to play with those fools anyway.

3 Likes

What archetype do you feel at most home in?

I really like support. And light magic. And am priestly. Don’t like getting punched in the face. Or meleeing much. Though they are fun alts every once in awhile. So I main a priest, with paladin being something I wish fit me better, I just don’t like the game play flow of pally.

The other thing to consider is rotation. What kind of rotation is good for you? Youtube is great for that especially, MarcelianOnline

The covenant you pick won’t change the story that much for you so you can either go with the powergamer option or cosmetic, aesthetic option.

Dragon Flight will have easier alt running.

also this… toats dont have any more hearts to give so <3

@OP from what you said I would double down and try to focus on the prot war. They are a really great class. You can always run SMF for that roguelike aesthetic when u want to dps as an offpsec.

1 Like

just play it casually, dont worry too much about the endgame as the new expansion will be taking away a LOT of that bloat.

2 Likes

I think since vanilla, I’ve played a rogue and then kinda deviated from that into tanking around WoD/Legion. I think the most fun I ever had with the game was Legion rogue or MoP survival hunter. In FFXIV, I main tank for my static so I don’t think I want to tank here too, which is why I might try a healer. My archetype has a lot of holes in it. I wish I had an archetype anymore but it USED to be just sneaking around/assassin type.

Don’t do this.

Until you reach the absolute highest levels of play, those lists are meaningless.

Historically, sub rogue and surv hunter are usually bottom of the barrel picks.

They’re real good right now, but basing your play around something that flows so freely is risky.

There are obvious specs that stand out that have needed to be addressed for a long time (feral for the most obvious example,) but it might be an idea to have a class with a few specs you enjoy.

Shaman for example. If resto is bad, try a dps spec. If those are bad and resto is good; maybe that’s worth looking at.

Can you elaborate on your point about free flowing? Do you mean that they have so much going on that they’re hard to perform well with?

I mean that those tier lists are to be taken with a grain of salt. A very small one. We’re getting another season soon, and that tier list you looked at is going to shift again dramatically.

If melee is your jam, rogue is a good solid pick usually. WW monk is also absolutely bonkers (and it gets invites fairly routinely.)

Casters—mages are always in favor. Always always.

Healers-priests and druids.

Tanks- Druid is always safe, monk too.

What is the most specific type of gameplay you’re after?

Unfortunately, I don’t even know. I said I’m trying to avoid serious tanking since I MT in FFXIV full time. So right now, I’m looking for a class/spec that I can have fun with for like… everything? I don’t care about being bleeding edge viability, but I wanna play something and play it well so people can appreciate it. I’d like to find something that can handle M+, PVP/Raids etc without much issue

Most specs perform well enough that you won’t have issues fitting into groups. Maybe avoid picking the DPS specs at the very bottom of the tier lists as they’re usually there due to severe undertuning/nerfs rather than just being a little weaker than their peers like the mid-tier (most of them) ones are.

You mentioned survival hunter in your post. They’re extremely strong right now and, since Hunter has 3 DPS specs, will probably always have at least one good spec for you to switch to if the next patch guts survival.

Hunter is also pretty flexible: mobile, good utility, excellent for solo stuff, and a mix of AoE and single target between the specs/talents. A good class choice for someone feeling indecisive.

My brain likes some rotations better than others. Holy paladin is one I really struggle with. It’s probably simple for others. It’s just weird to me. Shaman also feels a bit clunky to me too. It’s not even how many buttons or easy. It’s like how the spec responds to procs and how abilities flow from one to the other. The only way to get a feel for that is learning how the specs are played.

Spriest, and aff lock, and frost mage play smooth, they feel easy to play to me. I don’t mind dpsing in those specs because they have a great rythm and feel. I play intuitively and don’t really rely on addons toooo much.

Also + 1 to all the people giving advice not to sweat min maxing until you decide to go for an extremely competitive tier of play. You can do must fun stuff and get decent gear on any spec.

I think most specs are pretty viable though end game. Or at least every class has one of its specs viable in some scenario.

1 Like

I really think you should take a look at Kyrian WW monk.

It uses a build that is viable in both fortified/tyrannical M+. It’s also super competitive in pvp and raid.

WW monk is a little on the complex side to play when starting out…but if you just want a class/covenant combo that has synergies with all content, I really am at a loss at what else is as convenient as Kyrian WW. You can use it for tanking too.

If you get up and running and want in game help with it, Sambouki#1202. I have a pretty good bit of experience with it if you need a hand.

Look at everything that looks interesting obviously, but don’t sleep on WW kyrian =)

1 Like

Interesting. I do remember enjoying WW. I’ll look into it

1 Like

I did a pug + 15 with two low 260s. Feral Druid and ret paladin. Classes I’ve seen laughed at on here. The run went smoother than any other I did all week.

Worse comes to worse? Grab a key and make your own groups

1 Like