Returning player its been a while looking for a direction

I’ve missed alot of expansions I predominantly played in the end of vanilla bc and wrath. I played half end of Cata and missed MOP completely, WOD completely and i came back idk a few months before BFA and played the end of legion( i really liked that expansion and was pissed i missed it being i’ve loved the draenei lore since BC space goat priest FTW) and grinded rep to get lightforged and void elves. I played BFA for a few months and quit, I had joined a new guild rerolled/transferred on the server people had chosen. But it didn’t stick and it wasn’t very active so I lost interest quickly. Probably doesn’t help i work nights so its difficult to find people to play with sometimes.

(sorry i rant too much i’ll shorten this to I’ve wasted years and too much money on f2p games with predatory cash shops)

I’m looking to get back into wow and not some f2p or new one that’ll last for more than a year and then flop. I enjoyed playing and healing on a priest alot in dungeons back when i played wow. I’ve been kicking around a human lock since idk about 2009 to do rep grinds with, but I’ve played mages and resto druids as well.

I’m looking to play again i just resubbed this morning but damn theres so much stuff i don’t know about with bfa. I don’t know half the new systems or even what mods to use anymore since I built a new pc last year and all my old settings and addons got nuked when i built my new computer. I’m not looking to catch up its impossible at this point, but I at least want to try to be ready for SL when it launches in a few months.

I’m currently alliance on stormrage but honestly alliance horde either way doesn’t matter i’ve played both factions since vanilla. I came back to a dead guild a dead community i had joined for leveling. So I don’t mind starting over since all i basically have is my lock and priest around 110 ish with bags and some gold.

Not sure what you’re looking to gain from this post, I didn’t see anything that you were look for specifically but I’ll tell you this, if you’re completely brand new to this expansion, it might be your best bet to either

A) if you want to experience this expansion currently, you can, you might just have to have 0 real life and spend most of your time in WoW
B) start making characters that look interesting to you for SL and get names reserved, level characters you’re interested in trying out (even though I hear SL leveling will be faster than it is in live and not because of level squish)

Do you want to raid? M+? Pvp? Mount farm? Collect transmogs?

Right so this thread much like my life no cohesive thought train or plan of action. Ugh… I’ve missed the most of last 3 expansions Soooo I guess the first thing is try to reacquaint myself with the games functions and changes…Last time I played dungeons I think mythic didn’t even exist think it was just heroics and raiding. I haven’t actively raided since idk wrath so honestly I don’t know the difficulty increases between the raiding types, but it could be fun to raid again if i could find a group.

A life heh good joke, i work 3rd shift graveyard stocking so my days are like midnight till 8am so no lifing isn’t a problem i’d say the biggest problem is probably finding a guild or actual raiding group within my timeframe.
I always try to get as many mounts as i can maybe not a collector but ive got 120 something at least, but my god im not sure i’ll ever have 5mil for long boi before this expansions out without spending $800 on wow tokens rofl…T_T

I usually fall into the habit of leveling shadow priest and swap spec to holy for dungeons but idk if holys even a viable spec in this expansion. Or if disc is more useful or if another class vastly out performs like shammy or druid atm. I guess I should just hit max level and try to prep and read up for SL tbh, might try leveling up my druid to cap and leveling a shammy to have some options open to me.

and one last thing could anyone point me in the right direction of the current addons that are standard faire for most everyone?

Ok no offense I didn’t read all that lol so my general advice is to pick your class for SL and play it now no matter if its meta or not because the expansion is pretty much over.

As for addons:

DBM or bigwigs
Weak auras
Details

That’s pretty much the essentials imo there are plenty of addons that people will add to this but as for bare minimum I think those 3 are it

icy-veins.com is the goto site for class/spec guides. For each class/spec, they also have an “easy mode” section covering rotations, talents, and even weak auras. It’s a good reference place to ease back into the current game.

I also recommended the wow head guides and class discords to add in variety because not all the sites/discord’s have the same exact view on classes and some are actually more frequently updated (discord’s is usually the most up to date)

1 Like

All 3 specs are viable, a good disc priest is most valuable in raids, holy isn’t special but that’s due to lack of utility and not their throughput (which is very strong).

As for addons there’s heaps and heaps depending on the content you run. Other then dbm and weak auras they’re mostly all content related or QoL