Returning after a long time and very confused

… So, I played WoW from vanilla through MoP, and then took a long break. I came back and played some Classic, and now am playing with my old characters in retail, and am really confused.

Right before I started Classic, I did some quests in Nagrand, which I’m assuming put me in Warlords of Draenor. Post level squish, I’m sitting at level 43. Now, I just got a quest that took me into a raid with Guldan, and I eventually found myself teleported to Kirin Tor and then the whole city teleported somewhere. I think I’m now playing Legion, is that right?

Should I actually be playing BFA? Do I just play the quests I’m given until I get summoned there or something? I guess I’d just like to hit level 50 efficiently and then head over to Shadowlands, but I’d also like to see what exactly the storyline was…

Thanks!

Yes, it sounds like you’ve started the Legion quests.

The only reason to level in BfA would be if you want to mess around with BfA end game content while waiting for Shadowlands. (Unlocking most stuff for BfA requires doing enough quests in each leveling zone to get friendly with the main faction.) If you just want to get to 50 and then wait for the pre-patch events/Shadowlands, any expansion will do.

If you aren’t using Chromie Time, you will start outleveling Legion after 45. You can probably pick up a few levels past that before the XP drops off too much. Using Chromie Time, any expansion scales all the way to 50. (You can turn Chromie Time off and on (and change which expansion is active) by talking to Chromie in Stormwind/Orgrimmar. She’s near the embassies, and there’s an hour glass on the world map with her location.

Huh. This is helpful.

If I wanted to level in BfA, how would I kick that off? … I’ve got a lot of heirloom gear, so that autolevels I guess, but I suppose there might be some advantages, like unlocking allied races.

Chromie Time sounds useful. Is there anything else I should know? It seems like professions have changed quite a bit - do I need to think about leveling those for each expansion?

There should be an NPC standing next to the Hero’s Call/Warchief’s Command board in Stormwind/Org with the starter quest for BfA. It’s “Mission Statement” horde side, and “Tides of War” Alliance side.

Each expansion is now independent for professions, so you don’t have to level up older ones to the the new ones. (So, you can jump right in with Shadowlands level professions once it goes live, if if you just picked it up.) It’s useful to level the Vanilla portion of your professions to 75, which unlocks the Darkmoon Faire profession quest each month. Beyond that, it’s really just if there’s something you want in a given expansion (or just like being a completionist.) Engineering probably has the most stuff that will have you leveling various expansions. Jeeves requires maxed Wrath engineering to make, and the Loot-a-rang requires level 70 Cataclysm engineering to use.