Returning after 5 years - is tonight's experience now normal?

My husband and I haven’t played in about 5 years and are trying WoW again after playing GW2, ESO and other games. We were raiders with multiple high-level characters.

Tonight on my lvl 17 I arrived in Org for the first time. I autoran to the Barrens and was immediately jumped on by two players demanding a duel. They followed me for 10 minutes, with lots of obscenities and threats. I reported them both, they continued to jump on me and in front of me while I ran and then caught up with me again a bit later and did it again. I had them on ignore. But this is the kind of behavior you don’t see in ESO or GW2. I was never accosted like this when we played before. Is this to be expected now - more prevalent?

Been plating about 15 years. Had someone accost me once in that time.

Like Nok, it’s happened to me but it’s super rare. I can think of maybe 2 or 3 times and I have been playing since vanilla. In those circumstances you can put the players on ignore (type /ignore PlayerName or right click the player name in chat and hit ignore) so you won’t see their whispers or other chat. I have also walked away from the computer so they aren’t getting any response from me. People generally get bored quickly. For the most part people won’t talk to you at all even in dungeons nowadays.

I’ve never had anything like that happen to me. I’ve had random people constantly try to duel me but I’ve never been followed.

1 Like

Thanks for the answers - we’re just here for fun, I’m glad to hear this was really unusual.

1 Like

I’ll just add that once you ignore someone, they are ignored for the character that did the ignore, not for your other characters.

If they find a way to bypass the ignore by using alternate characters of their own for example, You can submit support a ticket to Blizzard for ongoing harassment.
Blizzard basically gives players control over the initial ignore and takes a dim view of people who try to circumvent being ignored.

It’s important, however, that you do not respond verbally in kind to people harassing you. Just report them, ignore them again, and move on. People can say terrible things to friends as a routine part of conversation. Don’t give the harasser grounds to claim it was two friends just goofing.

When I get repeated requests to duel, I just move the request window to the side of the screen and continue about my business. They can’t make the same request to anyone else while the window is up for me so they get cored quickly. Either they give up and cancel the request or we move beyond range of each other.

Thank you - good advice about the duel request window!

1 Like