Retribution passive + Retribution aura

This should not be made into an aura. Really it should never make it in the game because of the balance issues it proposes.

We should have a unique buff that we bring to world pvp, world quests, mythic plus, arena, bgs, and raids. I want people to say “Hey look a paladin lets bring them we could use aura x” or “Lets pick up a second paladin so we can have x and y auras” but that won’t happen unless our auras make them stronger not just us stronger when they die.

[Aura of the Seasons (Night Fae)

[Aura of Winter] - Enemies within 40 yards chill in your Aura of Winter, reducing their attack speed by 10% and their movement speed by 20%. Turns to Spring after spending 20 Holy Power.

[Aura of Spring] - Party members within 40 yards revitalize in your Aura of Spring, causing their healing done and healing received to increase by 10%. Turns to Summer after spending 20 Holy Power.

[Aura of Summer] - Party members within 40 yards bask in your Aura of Summer, causing their attacks to have a high chance to deal [ 100% of Spell Power ] Holy damage. Turns to Autumn after spending 20 Holy Power.

[Aura of Autumn] - Party members within 40 yards fall in your Aura of Autumn, causing their cooldowns to recover 1% faster. Turns to Winter after spending 20 Holy Power.

The above has some good ideas but the fact that you can not just pick the aura you want doesn’t feel good.

Aura of winter for pvp

Aura of spring for healing

Aura of summer for ret

Aura of autumn is great for everyone

But you know what isn’t great? When the aura of spring comes up during a burst phase that requires little healing. Let US have a choice. Let us empower our allies. Let us be desired in groups.

P.S. stop using phrases like " …to have a high chance to… " give us the percentages. I shouldn’t have to go to an external website to read proper tooltips. You have advanced tooltips as an option for a reason – or you used to.

3 Likes

From the Paladin Class Change forum:

Maybe something along the lines of, and I am just spitballing ideas here…

*"When a player under the effects of Retribution Aura takes direct damage the attacking entity is marked for Retribution for X Seconds causing all attacks made against the target to deal Y additional Holy Damage.

Entities can only be affected by Retribution once every Z seconds!"*

The above plays off the idea of Payback, triggering when an enemy hurts you or an ally. It plays off the idea of Reward AND Punishment by rewarding the injured party and their allies with extra holy damage AND punishing the enemy by causing them to suffer divine wrath. It’s damage focused, much in line with “Retribution Paladins” as well!

Payback, Reward, Punishment and it would act like an Aura in that everyone under its effects would benefit from it and not just the Paladin. Also… you know… you don’t have to hope someone dies to trigger an honestly greedy buff.

Is it a perfect solution? Nah, but it would fit more in line with the idea of what Retribution means as well as what an Aura is and I feel would be a step in the right direction.

Just my personal two copper on the situation

I think that’d be a good idea to go on.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/feedback-paladin-class-changes/490700/14

The poster had a longer post about it, but yeah, I like his take on it. Be better if the ability didn’t rely on people dying for us to get a benefit. It’s been a counter intuitive part of Ret’s toolkit (and now the entire Paladin) for a long time.

Would also like Holy Pally to get Aura of Sacrifice and Mercy back. They are the ones with Aura Mastery so they should be allowed to have more auras available.

2 Likes

I’ve seen this suggest posted around in these forms and Reddit but it is just thorns Aura with extra steps. Why not just give us vanilla ret Aura back at that point?

I’d much rather it be a unique ret buff. But in it’s current form and relying on people dying just feels bad.

2 Likes

Agreed and it just doesn’t match the fantasy.
Honestly, I’d rather us just have Sanctity Aura for that flat 5% holy damage.
The current Ret aura makes us synergize well with people who intentionally stand in the fire or use an ability that instantly defeats their character (Surrender to Madness). That seems like an odd synergy with a Paladin. At least with Sanctity Aura we can either increase our own DPS or that of a nearby Holy / Disc Priest (or any friendly Lightforged using their racial ability). That synergy, as dull and simply as it is, at least makes sense.

2 Likes

I think auras that act like seals would be really cool too. Seal of command for your party would be amazing. But they would have to make auras for many situations. I would also prefer to not have to switch auras in combat.

A out of combat Aura would be cool too some in addition to mount speed or another different from it.

1 Like

I would like to see this is the base ret aura. It makes sense. The current alpha version is lacking and just doesn’t fit.

1 Like