No, wait that is not what you think this is. i’m not saying everyone should be friends, I just think the current divide very boring and forced.
So here is the thing, right now there is a very artificial division between the races.
- Night elves and dranae are on the aliance because of orc hating?
- A very specific goblin faction is on the horde for very odd reasons and neutral goblins are unplayable.
- Blood elves are rolling with the horde because of human hating?
- High elves are not a thing because faction balance?
- Forsaken are rolling with the horde because humans don’t want them? But they don’t seem to care that much anymore?
- Trolls and Blood elves have very good reasons to hate eachother and they don’t…
- Lots of races like tauren, pandaren and vulpera don’t really seem interested in war at all…
- Nightborn went to the horde because of Tyrande first impressions?
- High mountain went to the horde because taurens?
- Mechagnomes are on the aliance because gnomes?
- Forsaken should hate trolls and orcs just as much as any other human
And I can go on and on with this. I think we should scrap this system completely, make every race independent from eachother. Night elves could have good relationships with tauren and pandaren but not tolerate orcs at all.
This could be done as some sort of reputation system where you would start as hated or friendly to some factions based on your race and have ways to change how they see you. Befriending one could make you hated by the other. Killing players of a certain race could net you points with another.
Stormwind and Orgrimar would ceasse to be capitals and be just another city. You would not be able to enter them if the main race hated you. Even grouping up with a member of an opposite faction could harm your reputation.
Quests would work normally but you would only be able to do them if the race that is giving you the quest is friendly or neutral towards you.
Aliances could be formed between nature loving races, or mana loving races or tech loving races, etc… Lots of factions within a single race could be a thing.
TLDR: The current state of factions feels forced and out of place, and don’t really speak to the complexity that exists in the world of warcraft.