Retconning the Retcon?

How does one within the WoW Writing Retcon the Retcons of WoW?

You know we are getting Chronicles 4 in July(?). Cant people wait until then?

I mean, there’s always the Classic book “The Old Gods and the Ordering of Azeroth”, which fell pretty firmly into retconned status as the years went on, only to be brought back into relevancy with Dragonflight as it was confirmed to be written from a flawed in-universe perspective.

From there, you could likely assume the same for any in-universe book from Classic that doesn’t age well to follow the same pattern.

Going by logic the first two raids of Bfa have to be done by the Horde in canon same as all Zandalar dungeons. For the rest I have no idea how they will handle it. They said Legion was neutral so they better give the order halls the credit and not the factions.

What’s funny is that those in game books, for the most part are just copy and pasted sections from the WC3 manual. A book that was not written from a ‘biased perspective’ when it first came out.

How about that…

And the “Old gods and the ordering of azeroth” is one of those copy and pasted sections. You can see for yourself. For the WC3 manual, go to page 78-79.

http://ftp.blizzard.com/pub/misc/Warcraft%20III%20Manual.pdf

Also Chronicles only says there were four Old Gods on the planet when Aggramar and co came to deal with them. It does not mention how many actually landed on Azeroth.

It makes me wonder if the person who wrote the annotated version knew about the WC3 connection. Also I find it funny how there are people here who take any in game reference that paints the titans in a bad light as gospel, even though those are just as “biased” as Chronicles and even the WC3 manual per current blizzards writing.

Illidan was never a well written character, no matter how much you fantasized about him.
He was always a Legion pet.

1 Like

huh, didn’t know that. Not too surprised, honestly Warcraft 3 should come with a disclaimer of “Mostly canon” at this point.

That said, the act of putting these books physically in-game effectively made them canonical in-universe documents.

I mean, it would still count as retconning the retcon, as this book says that the Titans “shattered the Old Gods’ citadels and chained the five evil gods far beneath the surface of the world.”, with Chronicles, as you mentioned, saying that there were 4 when they arrived.

In this case, its moreso just that the author of the annotated version (presumably Neltharion) doesn’t contest there being 5 Old Gods despite everything else about the book that he disagrees with.

While not an inherently reliable source himself, this is an interesting thing to not object to, especially for someone who would later become an outright follower of the Old Gods.

While he rarely served them directly, I agree with the rest. And like you, I’m no Illidan fan.