Retail players opinion on Classic > Retail character transfer

Hey guys, I’m a classic Andy and one day I can foresee Blizz charging a premium for classic players to transfer their characters over to the retail realm. Personally I like the idea rather than the characters I’ve invested so much time into dying a slow death on a dead realm. However, I don’t play Retail so my opinion doesn’t count for much, Just wanted to see where Retail players stand on this issue?

1 Like

Seems like quite a few people here favor their unobtainable collectibles, and would lose their minds on this forum if anyone in 2024 was able to acquire them on retail servers.

6 Likes

That’s all the reason i need for this to happen, I wanna watch the chaos.

6 Likes

Because on Reddit I’ve read one or two remarks about unobtainable items, titles and achievements that they are adamant on not wanting to share with a new wave of classic players.
Where better to find a real answer from core WoW enthusiasts than the Blizzard forums themselves.

1 Like

So not really a loaded question huh?

I literally do not care.

Anyway, I probably would have played classic if I was prepared to figure out the mechanics of gameplay. I just didn’t feel like learning talents and weapon skill and all that stuff. If I did I would have the chance to experience the expansions I missed and get some things that were removed from the game. Like corrupted ashbringer.

That woulda been cool

3 Likes

Highly unlikely that they allow this.

Especially since it would allow players to take unobtainable appearances/items/achievements from classic where they’re still obtainable, into Retail, where they’re not. That would create substantial uproar, because players who only play Retail and have no interest in Classic would then feel like they HAVE to play Classic and force themselves through that to get things that aren’t available in Retail anymore.

And I know the likely response to that is: “Well just make them available in retail again!” and they should, but that would piss off plenty of players who obtained those things before they were removed.

3 Likes

I only dabbled in retail rarely or watched a friend play over the past fifteen or so years so when Classic launched it was my proper introduction to WoW considering I’d missed pretty much every expansion. If a character transfer from my classic realm was allowed at some point I’d love to give retail a proper try.

1 Like

they said that wouldn’t happen

1 Like

Regardless, Blizzard has, on more than one occasion, stated that they would not be returning certain titles/achievements/appearances etc.

They’ve also stated that getting titles/achievements on classic will not transfer over to retail.

It seems clear to me that Blizzard wants Classic and Retail to be separate. They want players to enjoy the modes that they prefer, without forcing players to play the mode they don’t. I don’t see why they would change that now.

3 Likes

They have said plenty of things that will or will not happen, they have a habit of going against what they say.

Same thing to this comment too. It does not matter what they say right now, because tomorrow is a new day and tomorrow does not matter what was said yesterday.

1 Like

It isn’t going to happen. Blizzard knows the problems it will cause if they did that, plus they are making new content for classic all the time - they have no intention of doing this.

YET, if they can find a way to make money off it, they will do it.

1 Like

The only reason people want this is to flaunt no longer accessible titles, etc on retail.

With the ease of leveling on retail, why would Blizz do this?

3 Likes

Money. plain and simple, make it a ONE way trip Classic to Retail. If people are willing to waste money on bringing a title to retail, let them. Not like the titles matter anyways, and people can always just find out what the timestamp on an achievement is, and if they won’t like the achievement they just won’t add them.

1 Like

they would lose more business on retail because of this than they would gain from classic people - that is a pretty big thing to lie about never doing.

Blizz makes money by not doing this, though.

They dont lose the production costs. And a person on retail has to stay subbed longer to get a similar result.

Would they make enough money to make it worth it? shrug

I fail to see how they would “lose more business” People will cry about it sure, but lets be honest these addicts will still play even if blizz did it.

1 Like

If classic players wanted to play retail they already could so yes they would lose more business than they would gain. But I can see you won’t stop so I am going to mute this thread.

Take all of their achieves/mounts/whatever away and keep their character. Then I would say it’s fair.

I played my butt off for my Grand Marshall achieve starting from day 1 of WoW and it still took almost a year. Then classic comes out and my old friends were doing it in a week. So everything I’ve gathered in almost 20 years means nothing if that were allowed. Why bother having achieves then?

1 Like