Ret vs Warrior

Is the answer to just run away? I try not to get into 1v1s, but I rutinely get singled out by Ret’s in BGs cause they know how ez it is for them. Any tips are appreciated.

Is wings up? No? Then kill them. Yes? Run away until the answer is no, then go back to the ‘No’ solution.

They have some powerful cooldowns. Don’t try to go blow for blow with them when they’re active. They’re honestly pretty weak outside of those windows.

9 Likes

True, I feel like everytime they come for me they have wings up. And bubbles.

Yeah, it’s a bit self-selective though. Kinda like how a rogue only jumps you when all his cd’s are up?

If a Paladin is being aggressive, you can expect he’s got wings ready to pop, so I usually fight a bit conservatively, expecting him to blow it and knowing I need to make distance and kite immediately. It runs out eventually, and if he didn’t put some serious damage into you during wings…he’s going to be much less enthusiastic about it when you charge back in afterward.

4 Likes

Wait for shadowlands, you’ll love fighting rets then.

11 Likes

I know we get shattering throw, but are you saying they are even more busted than now?

As soon as you got a pally against the ropes, they either LoH themselves and start the process over or they bubble hearth…bunch of ninny’s I tell ya.

1 Like

I’m really looking forward to the first one that tries this in SL.

10 Likes

Yep, that right there will kill their biggest defensive cd.

1 Like

Like what was said earlier, respect wings. Ret is a glass cannon one trick pony spec.

Fighting rets is all about the opener and avoiding damage during wings. So in the opener, I generally blow all my offensives and Storm Bolt them. This forces them to do 1 of 3 things: Sit the stun while you waylay them with Avatar and CS for 4 seconds, trinket, or bubble. All 3 work to your advantage. If they sit it, that’s just delaying them ramping up their damage even once your stun ends. If they bubble, congrats, their biggest DCD is out of the way. (Honestly bubbling or BoPing the opener is probably their best option in a 1v1 against a warrior, because if they bubble early, Forbearance will be off by the end of the fight and they can LoH or BoP.) If they trinket, it opens them up to either be feared on their wings or stunned later in the fight while you again, lay into them with CS for 4 seconds. If they bubbled/BoP’d to pop wings and burst, I immediately trade out DBTS and trinket the inevitable HoJ coming my way so I don’t get nuked while I can’t do anything to them. By the time DBTS ends, their bubble or BoP is off and I can Disarm them.

Obviously it’s not this cut and dry and every fight varies but it’s just an example of some things you can do. I typically favor Disarm over Spell Reflect as well if I have to choose between the two. While reflecting HoJ is good, it DRs with Storm Bolt so I think Disarming on wings to stop damage is more valuable.

Even if you do everything right, ret is still a very tough opponent for warrior simply because of the immunes. But that’s all changing in Shadowlands. Shattering Throw will have something to say about their bubbles.

6 Likes

You will never beat a ret in a 1v1 and anybody telling you otherwise is being disingenuous. You can’t outrun a ret and thanks to traits their wings can proc just like your recklessness. If you beat a ret in a 1v1 two things happened. They are having a seizure rl or their battery powered mouse died.

13 Likes

I mean backstabbath just explained in pretty exacting detail how to do it, but sure.

Well that’s just not true.

Rets can reset the fight 3 times. You aren’t beating good rets, maybe mediocre S key ones.

3 Likes

Unfortunately its true, a good Ret will own a good Warrior. They have to many options. Shattering Throw returning will be a god’s blessing.

It’s okay. Don’t mind them. Because this:

Just sounds like a bunch of hardstuck 1700 players.

Rest assured, you can beat rets 1v1. It just isn’t easy.

1 Like

You can’t beat an equal skilled/geared ret as a warrior no matter how much you want to play the “YoU hAvE LoW ArEnA RaTinGs” card. Please provide a video link to you beating high ranking rets in 1v1 and maybe ill consider your rat opinion.

5 Likes

Hm. Didn’t like the low rating comment did we?

I don’t need to provide anything for you. If you can’t beat rets as a warrior that’s your problem. I’m just saying it is absolutely very possible to do it. I’ve done it, plenty of times actually. I’m not even saying it’s easy.

I’m just saying you guys stating it’s literally impossible, are flat out wrong and showing your inexperience at the PvP aspect of the game.

5 Likes

I’m garbage, but I’m the one here that can beat rets. Lol. Stop, what are you gonna say next, rets counter rogues too?

Excellent, so by your response you concede all points by not providing any sort of intellectual counter argument.

Case closed. Moving on.

2 Likes

TL;DR good luck with your laughable advice and profile achievements,. yikes.