Ret Paladins needs to be looked at

They do too much damage In PvE and in PvP.They bring way too much to the table as far as utility goes and burst, not to mention they have the most complex rotation in Classic WoW.Am I right or am I right? :popcorn:

Can we look at your forum access first?

JK have a good weekend. Who else here keen for BG3?

3 Likes

ret paladins are fine. nothing needs to be done.

I certainly wouldn’t mind a few adjustments to them…

Namely consecration’s invisible tracking debuff not counting against the 16 (they adjusted hidden buffs counting against the 32, why not this?), shadow oil losing the internal cooldown, and consecration ticks not checking individually against spell hit (which we typically have none).

Past that? Yeah, we work fine.

1 Like

I disagree. Paladins are a hot mess that were cobbled together after they erased the class in closed beta.

Its the players that make Paladins work…not Blizzard, and its always been that way.

Sadly it won’t happen. Back in Vanilla there were so many wonderful thought out threads for Feral Druids, Ret Paladis, and Enhance Shaman.

Many of these changes were simply, elegant, wouldn’t have unbalanced PvP, and were easy to implement. They still won’t happen.

However Ret relying on underused or broken mechanics like shadow oil is a player fix for the problem…not an actual class fix.

During the initial SoC thread, when SoC was 5 ppm, I was asked what was needed to fix Ret. My answer was simple…Judgment of Command needs to fully function like a Strike from closed beta.

A suggestion from another player was simple and elegant…and was one stop shopping for fixing the class.

One rank of SoC only.
10% Base Mana cost. Just over 150 at level 60.
Physical Hit and Physical Crit in Holy Damage form.
Seal damage is the same as current.
Judgement damage of 1 Damage per level + 100% AP * Weapon Delay + current SP coefficient.

By the end of Naxx…with full world buffs thats about 175 DPS.
With current design JoC caps at 75 DPS with 422 SP with Avengers and End game loot.

It was a simple fix…that will never happen.

2 Likes

Yeah… instead now we have the weirdest mix and match of mechanics.

It runs on spell hit, melee crit, no weapon scaling, but procs everything a melee strike does…

A lot of ret mechanics are all over the place like that.

1 Like

Easiest fix, don’t play one!

2 Likes

Exactly, they wanted classic and they got classic. Welcome to 1.12 enjoy your stay.

2 Likes

So do people actually enjoy ret paladins being bad? Seems like the genuine sentiment of people on the forums.

To be fair a large majority of people dislike ret paladins due to the almost zealot like behavior of private server ret players building up this disillusioned fantasy prior to release. I personally do not care for ret players unless they full well understand they are back seat spec’s that do not deserve specific items over warriors or other classes.

For example Onslaught Girdle, I have one on my ret but that is only because all of our main raider warriors have one. In fact he is only ret because I use him to mine in open world and there is nothing more amusing watching a die hard no life on the horde lose to a ret pally. It’s almost like slapping someone with a bad sticker.

However, raiding as one is up to the guild. In the vast majority of cases no one will take one as they offer no utility a holy paladin can not do. This being said it is more easier to gear a holy paladin then allow a ret to exist that wants to take away from warriors given the meta.

TDLR: Not unless they fully are aware of their place on the social ladder and most will agree.

If you enjoy it whatever, but this is a social game. You do not get the right to be upset no one wants to play with you for your in game decision whatever they may be.

2 Likes

…I was in a BG the other day and a ret pally on my recount was staying between 900-1000 dps…I didn’t inspect him but he’s from a raiding guild and I’d imagine he was in full raid gear…I was impressed but who am I…

I disagree with that mostly because classic is absurdly undertuned compared to what pretty much every dps class is capable of (including ret paladins).

Being the weakest of overpowered classes doesn’t make them useless.

Literally every dps spec can perform well enough to succeed in every raid. If the raid is fine with bringing a ret, they aren’t gaining any real advantage by denying them gear. The difference between giving a warrior or ret any given item is pretty negligible assuming it is an appropriate item for both.

If someone wants to play ret, go for it. I just tend to warn them that they will be working harder for lesser results in many cases, and it is important to find a guild that doesn’t have the mindset that you are a useless drain on the raid team.

Warriors don’t deserve all the loot because they rolled the “looking for raid” difficulty class. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

…Why do you always talk like this…

…1st amendment…

3 Likes

Ret paladins need crusader strike as was originally intended. Not sure why it was removed and replaced with the god awful judgment system. Glad they got it back during TBC but crusader strike would literally change the class to something almost desired.

1 Like

Baldur’s Gate 3? Oh certainly.

1 Like

It comes out the same day as our gates open. :frowning:

If it were up to me, paladins would need spell hit to land judgments, stun spell and consecration. Consecration would act as a visible debuff on the boss.

paladins are already tier 1, better than shamans, only beaten by warriors in terms of overall ability. any more power and they would be the best class in classic.

if there would be a tradeoff, perhaps taking another look at the flash of light bonus healing coefficients, and then adding a holy spell taunt with a 6 second cooldown, that might be a reasonable change.

I think playing a paladin is about perspective. Paladins should have a more engaging game play loop, but the core of the class isn’t killing things. It’s outlasting the enemy. Sure, they kill things very slowly, but they almost never die. It’s up to the player if they think that trade off is worth it.

I think the bigger issue is that hybrids just don’t work well with the min max culture of the player base. How does a class that’s just decent at everything fit in to that? That’s why they hybrid tax was reduced in TBC, then virtually eliminated from Wrath onward.