Ret Paladins, How viable will they be?

lol no don’t waste your time with that guy…

1 Like

Geting people to look past the outdated perceptions of Ret=Worthless is going to be your hardest task. Utalize all the advantages you can find and carry off-set gear to help in a pinch. Be flexible.

4 Likes

I personally don’t think this will be such an issue unless OP is aiming for hardcore raiding guild, If he goes spelladian though he’ll have an easier time especially since he goes from low priority gearing in MC to all of Judgement for the most part is yours if it drops, since are Holy pally doesn’t want most of that.

2 Likes

Somebody’s got to swing Nightfall. Might as well be you!

7 Likes

Get’s one of the coolest looking axes in the games + one of the best looking tier sets in the game.

You might not be doing top of the chart DPS but no one can question your style.

10 Likes

it’s legit - and you will earn the respect of your entire guild if you offer to swing it 100% of the time - all those 1337 2h weapons that drop will go to you first for PvP gudness!

1 Like

15 minutes, Greater Blessings were 1.12.

Anyway, if your heart is set on being a Ret Paladin for the sole purpose of dealing damage in a raid, understand that you will have a significantly harder time finding anything more than a bench spot in a raid than if you chose to heal. You will have to work harder to earn your raid spot and your DPS will still be sub-par by comparison to the “pure” classes. The “tryhard” guilds won’t want you, and your low DPS is a greater detriment to “casual” guilds, who will also likely shun you.

I’ll be honest here, I believe that only 1 out of every 100 Paladins trying to be Ret/DPS in a raid will get an active raid spot, and that’s probably being generous. The whole “spelladin” deal may open a few more opportunities, as would Nightfall, but that’s going to require a huge mindset-shift for the player base at large.

Best of luck to you if you decide to go that route, just keep in mind you’ll be trudging uphill, both ways, in the snow, with no shoes, and a rabid weasel gnawing your face - that’s how great the challenge will be.

1 Like

Yeah it was a joke, I need to work on my posting sarcasm.

2 Likes

No one here has said that, you’re also really overplaying how it is now compared to 2004-2006.

Most casual guilds don’t give a s**t one guy playing a sub-par DPS spec compared to the Pure DPS boi’s is hardly gonna be a factor in MC let alone BWL where Spelladin is getting most of their gear in the first place.

The real struggle starts at AQ40 if a casual guild get’s that far which eventually they will.

The struggle of raiding back then wasn’t minmaxing DPS etc it was getting 40 people to show up 100% of the time and to not stand in the obvious thing that will kill you oh and slow PC’s.

A dedicated Ret DPS who has a show-up time all the time does well to provide guild morale and generally understands wtf he is doing we’ll be perfectly fine in a Casual raiding guild.

I won’t comment on Hardcore I was never a hardcore raider and never will be.

Even hardcore raiders back in the day ran with hybrid dps.

Sure looks like that was the initial question to me. Also seems like you took my statement out of context.

Eh, I disagree because I believe the mentality has shifted since then and people will be far less inclined to take Ret Paladins now based on sub-par damage. I could be wrong, but I’m not putting my faith in people being more accepting today than they were back then.

1 Like

Its all well and good to play ret if you want to, just stay away from my holy gear. Seriously, you go fight all the fury warriors for loot, the healing stuff is mine.

Of all the rets you mention Esfand lol the ret that got carried by popularity. And maxed out at about 700 dps in naxxaramas while the warriors and rogues were doubling his dps. He doesn’t use nightfall which is a huge boost to raid DPS.

Anyways on topic, there’s a lot of theorycrafting going around testing a spellpower setup that is doing quite a lot of dps 1000+ along with giving you more mana to do other support stuff. Basically just stack spell power, while using seal of righteousness and the level 30 weapon Manuel crowd pummeler and a ton of consumables. With this setup the full T2 set is actually amazing and maybe best in slot even through all of naxxaramas.

1 Like

He’s low priority for any plate gear in MC and I doubt it’ll bother him too much, or I so presume if he does go Spelladin by BWL he literally is competing with no one besides Holy pally’s over one piece of Judgement gear, the rest is his considering their are far better slot’s for healing gear than judgement for pallys

It completely depends on your guild. Are rets viable in dungeons? Yes, no problem. Less dps in a 5man is nothing to the utility of blessings, auras, etc.
Are rets viable in raids - potentially. If you’re in a server-first prog guild, likely not, but if you’re with people who just want to have fun and see content, you can probably find a spot. There likely wouldn’t be more than one ret spot even then, though.

2 Likes

back in vanilla, we had a ret pally that was one of the most amazing pallies i ever played with, and it wasnt because of his dps numbers.

it was because he actually played as a true hybrid.

not quite sure on his exact spec but he would dps and keep whatever judgement we wanted him to keep up and he would be an oh crap heal when needed or just strap on healing gear and heal when we needed the healer on fights like shaz and gheddon in mc.

on fights like garr or other fights like it he would strap on a shield and help ot if one of our offtanks were not in the mood or just werent there for the night.

he did it all . funny thing is our feral/resto druid did the same.

it was a pleasure running with them cause they did what was needed at the time.

people shouldnt pigeonhole themselves into a role especially when they are able to fill multiple roles.

11 Likes

Esfand is all well and good, but if you watch his meters when grouped up with Asmongold’s warrior, he is always second or lower on DPS

you dont have to be first on 1 of the meters to affect the group the most in terms of their performance the most.

What’s a “Ret Paladin”???

Seriously though. You won’t be raiding as Retribution. (unless your guild is already max geared and is clearing Rag for the lulz and you get lucky and they drag you along cuz they really only need 39 people and you’re just fun to be around…)

Being 1st on the DPS meant jack in Vanilla Dungeons or Raids tbh if you somehow do it you are either outperforming the pure DPS which in Raids isn’t a good thing unless you are clearly overgeared.

90% of the time 1 or even 2 Ret pallies was not gonna really hurt DPS any and Ret pallies will be rare as hell in the first place as you gotta dedicate yourself to being one while also hybriding aka healing when you are asked to heal or Offtanking Gaar if you someone asks (Not difficult at all.)