Ret paladin

I don’t see how that’s any closer. It’s pretty much the same thing; the old outdated is bound to be slower and more expensive to run. You just added “clunker” and “run-down” to make it more opinionated.

Point is, just like people choose to play inferior specs for the same reason some people refuse to stop driving their old, slow, fuel-inefficient cars from the 60’s. The choice between something doesn’t always come down to what’s strictly better.

I think there was a minor miscommunication in your analogy that made it read a bit odd to me.

However…Yup, people are free to make that choice for themselves but they have to understand that it is in-fact a suboptimal spec. And others may be less willing to play with people who are willingly suboptimal.

1 Like

And that’s something I hope anyone getting into the weird world of playing these janky specs understands fully. I rolled ret full in the knowledge that my performance would suck compared to other DPS classes, and that it would probably be difficult to find groups, but damn do I love to play it.

2 Likes

Thankfully, the gap between specs in vanilla is not at all like it is in retail, at least with regard to Paladins. Almost all difference in performance can be attributed to gearing, with only a few talents, that virtually every Paladin build is capable of squeezing in, making a real difference.

Almost any issue you may or may not have with a Paladin on your team, is just about entirely a learn to play issue, or gear issue. Not a spec issue.

Unfortunately, the retail method of judging things has infiltrated classic, even though that method itself is quite ineffective and unreliable in this version of the game. This game is far more about taking the player, not the class.

1 Like

…it’s like you think optimal group compositions are all over the place.

Same thing happened to me. Currently have my paladin at 43. I don’t have much fun doing the whole dps thing with him. I have more fun taking and healing. Which I do allot of, even as Ret… if I didn’t solo much I would have gone holy or prot.

leveling as a group is great
and by 60 if you go holy everyone and theyr mom will want you

Bro I just spent hours power leveling you.

That’s because holy does more DPS while leveling. I had an insanely fun amount of time leveling holy.

And being attacked by everyone, them realizing I was holy, and them trying to run away while I whittled them to nothing.

Ret is extremely fun as well. Opening up on someone with 2 autos, 2 SoC procs, and a JoC within 2.6 seconds just feels so right. Then again, adding a holy shock to that is great too. Man I wish we had the talent trees ordered the way they used to be before the revamp.

To clarify, you could have HS, Sanctity Aura, vengeance, and 2h weapon spec all in the same build along with SoC. The only thing missing was the JoC revamp.

1 Like

Hell yeah it’s fun. Just not enough fun to offset opening up on someone wiht 2 autos, no procs, and a JOC that does nothing cause it was resisted.

1 Like

That kind of torture happens to all classes though. I’ve had a rank 1 fire resist aura completely negate a PoM pyro burst.

Using a slow enough weapon would give you a 2/3 chance to proc at least once and ~40% chance for 2. You can try again on the next swing usually. Either way, it can be a much stronger opener than a warrior’s or even a rogue’s.

A horde player that wants to be alliance and roll RETardin of all classes? Good riddance.

lol, it is not. Ret is bad everywhere. Poor retardins need to be family members to be allowed in WSG premades.

Says the undead mage wanting less Rets in premades because it gives them a disadvantage.

What makes a ret paladin better against mages than a holy paladin?

Being a secondary target to counter spell making the CS a choice rather than a given.

Who counter-spells a ret? In group pvp you’re always saving counter-spell for a healer.

That is true, but you aren’t ever replacing a healer slot with a ret. Therefore you have a person with a mana bar that can heal in interim. You also have a second cleanse bot, a second BoF, another aura, more blessings, etc.

Leveling as ret is boring and slow. Gear good weapons as you helps out quite a bit but you will have a harder time getting into some groups as ret. holy is not bad to find a group but you need to keep some gear in your bag or bank.