Ret paladin viability

Are you saying that they will not use spell batching? Because that’s a massive change to how the game plays.

No longer can you FD trap certain things, no longer can rogues vanish incoming CC, no longer can a whole slew of upper echelon game play actually take place because the spell batching is what gave certain abilities the ability to function in that niche way.

It’s those quirky interactions that made the game so damn good, and if they get that wrong then I am not interested.

1 Like

Yeah, one of the big issues I think they have to address is spell batching. Not to add anything but to consider how authentic Vanilla they want it to play like. I know Rogues will sorely miss Gouge timing Mage blinks, and how grenades work in PvP. Let alone the implications to totem/seal dynamics. I think server software and modern technology will likely see this fall to the wayside and the game is just going to play far differently than we remember and have evidenced on private server architecture.

1 Like

Pretty much. Mostly because it’s probaby somethign they will have to add as it’s not currently on their live servers.I could be wrong.

Aye, this is the most likely case, which is why I’ve clamored for a beta for awhile. I’m an eager beaver and just need to see. I’m dying of addiction and Vanilla autism.

“Ret paladins are dumb. The only reason they’re ret is because they flunked out of Paladin school and can’t read the words to flash of light.” - Some people.

3 Likes

I’ll crack a Ret bull and turn on Freedom Call to that.

…I wasn’t justifying a thing as you seem to be doing. Just kicking the proverbial jab back at the sender.

You end up with your other high dpsers without equivalent gear because you are too busy trying to gear a combo of 25 dps mages, rogues, and warriors some how from your progression raids?

19 mages all doing 1k dps without NF with 37% uptime on NF:
19k * 0.15 * 0.37% = 1,054 dps contributed + 500 = 1,554 vs 1k.
Hunter instead with same conditions at 44% uptime on NF:
19k * 0.15 * 0.44% = 1,254 dps contributed + 300 = 1,554 vs 1k.
Hunter and paladin at 65% uptime:
18k * 0.15 * 0.65% = 1,755 dps contributed.
Paladin contributes 802 [1302]
Hunter contributes 953 [1,253]
OT Warrior, Hunter, Paladin at 80% uptime:
18k * 0.15 * 0.80% = 2180 dps contributed.
Paladin adds about 747 [1247]
Hunter adds 888 [1188]
OT warr adds 524

Then you add in the dps they are doing swinging and using abilities. Having at least 1 NF Junky is very appealing. Although, this is based on a 2ppm so numbers may vary.

1 Like

Love how in every single of these cases there’s never an OT that’s swinging since they’re not main tanking the boss.

I know that you won’t always have an OT swinging it, especially on fights like Patchwerk/4HM, but you can’t not consider them as a variable either.

At least I gotta give props for not refusing to say 2 PPM on NF might be wrong. We’ll see when Classic comes.

You’re forgetting to reduce the number of mages you use in your examples by the number of people swinging nightfall. Can’t just add more people to raid without giving up from somewhere.

Also, my math is basically the same for your first case. And assuming you replace the ret with another 1k mage, you’re left with the difference between 1,110 and 1k, plus the ret’s GENEROUS dps assumption of 500. So my ~600 difference I listed.

Point is, 20 mages is best case spell damage with all badasses pushing 1k and the ret is barely worth it. I’d expect it to be 1/3 fury (or more) 1/3 rogue, and 1/3 mages, with a few token lock/hunt. At that few spell casters with most of them doing way less than 1k, NF ret is likely a net-loss over another one of those three classes.

Love how in every single of these cases you gloss over the fact that I’ve stated MULTIPLE TIMES that the best overall situation is to have the all of the following swinging Nightfall:

1. Ret Paladin
  2. Melee Hunter
  3. Prot Warrior OT (weaving Nightfall + Annihilator)

If you do that, you can get upwards of ~80% total debuff uptime and Zeliek literally said as much IN HIS POST LOL:

OT Warrior, Hunter, Paladin at 80% uptime:
18k * 0.15 * 0.80% = 2180 dps contributed.
Paladin adds about 747 [1247]
Hunter adds 888 [1188]
OT warr adds 524

orly?

1 Like

Disclaimer: I was in the middle of editing my post when you guys replied.

Look at the last one, it has all three. The reason I didn’t post them individually with an OT is because I don’t have actual numbers to go off for them.

Based off what you mentioned, you are going to be in a hardcore progression guild. Which means you are going to want alts for optimal situations. Until you go fight by fight you might want to keep an open mind at the very least.

Indeed. The top parsing Warriors all on the last iteration of Light’s Hope, Anathema/Lightbringer, all had Mage alts. They never did KT with their 1700 DPS Warriors until it was thoroughly on farm. They used their Mages.

Many guilds do this because you simply have to adjust. While you can take 13 Warriors to the opening of Naxx, some will be filtered out for an additional Lock, Druid, Mage, Hunter, or whatever. This included Paladins for my guild, which utilized Ret burst for Noth and Faerlina. It’s nice to have 2 or 3 extra BoPs between enrages when you’re in progression.

BRO, is that guy using Bloodvine, Preceptor’s hat, and a friggen Manual Crowd Pummeler?

Holy maximum effort Batman. That is incredible.

2 Likes

yep Exodia took my theory of fast SoR/JoR with PROCS PROCS PROCS to the ultimate level :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wonder what happened to all the trolls and haters?

Did I provide too much knowledge and evidence?

I can garuantee that all your effort will be a waste going in to classic.

Pservers aren’t that close to original wow.

lolz orly?

stock mangos isn’t close to original wow but lightshope is as close as anyone has or will be able to - especially for Paladins

Based on? Oh right…

Pserver validating itself with? Pservers.