RET paladin dilemma

You can easily get by, by spamming only flash of light and buffing its pretty faceroll.

4 Likes

thanks for the replies guys idk what to do lol id prob stay ret

2 Likes

I mean… technically yes. You can go for a very heavy ret build and still heal raids. The main healing related holy talents are fairly low in the tree. I raided as “holy” all through vanilla, but I always had 31 points in ret.

5 Likes

You should do whatever you have fun doing. If you are in a guild and they are forcing a respec, maybe it’s time to leave the guild?

As ret you will be fine in all dungeon content. However, if you really want to see the inside of raids, you may have to tune your character/class to a build that helps the group succeed in these instances.

8 Likes

You could say , send me 1k gold and I will think about it for awhile.
Play what you like.
Have fun…

1 Like

You really don’t even need to respec man. Just make sure you get the best healing gear possible.

What do you gain if you spec Holy?

12% Holy Light and Flash of Light healing bonus.

5% more intellect.

Divine Favor (free crit heal because it requires you to spec 5/5 Illumination; which gives you mana back following a critical heal).

And 5% Holy Crit.

These definitely pay their dividends on the parses and when gauging your ability against other Paladins of equivalent gear, but by no means will it be far worse healing.

I solo healed UBRS with just prebis back in September with my full Ret spec (32 Ret - 8 Prot - 11 Holy).

MC and BWL are very straightforward and require minimal movement from healers.

Your main job is keeping tanks alive. To do that you spam Flash of Light. Maybe Holy Light once in awhile. And Lay on Hands if you’re panicked at the end of a progression fight.

Depending on the ability of your guild, you could even do the Ret thing for the entire duration of Classic.

Here is the caveat;

You are a bastardized and usually judged spec. Due to the fact Ret does not compete on the meters in any capacity, your talents will constantly be called into question. If you can deal with the backlash and are a team player (letting Warriors and Rogues and even Hunters or Druids take pieces you want first) you might find yourself in a position to stay Ret.

Be the guy that everyone wants to play with. And if they ask you to heal, don’t grumble.

I wrote a response before Classic started to a question about this. Take a minute to read it if you don’t mind. It will help you know what you’re getting into;

As for myself, I went Holy the moment the honor system came out so I could be in the position I am now at Rank 12. Ret is fun, especially in PvP or when you get to have a fun raid and get power infusion (looking at Esfand here). But remember your primary role will always be a healer to the vast majority of players.

Good luck brother of the light.

8 Likes

And the awful truth begins to dawn on our faithful hero, Grimmis.

12 Likes

You’ll want to take up to 5/5 Illumination. Here’s an example (note: I chose 1 conscecration and 1 in Unyielding Faith, but those 2 could go anywhere you’d prefer, as long as you have 5/5 Divine Intellect, 5/5 Spiritual Focus, 3/3 Healing Light, and 5/5 Illumination, you’ll be able to parse well as a raid healer):

This gives you a lot of options for the rest of your spec. For example, if you’d like to tank 5 man instances and/or farm lashers in DM, you can put points into your prot tree. You also could put points into Ret, if that’s better for your playstyle. Basically, with 20 points in Holy, you can perform at a high level for raid healing.

Yep! That’s it (I have 2 ranks of of FoL that I use, depending, and also cleanse, obviously). Situationally, I would use Divine Favor, but that requires you to spec into it. It’s pretty nice in combination with a Holy Light for the guaranteed crit on that big heal, but not having it isn’t the biggest deal, really.

2 Likes

OP do not listen to this clown!

RET IS FINE! Don’t respec the worse race/class combo is Holy Dwarf Paladin but it makes the best Ret Paladin.

from a concerned Horde Warrior

Again do not listen to these people they are trying to lead you astray!

Shame on you Divinewind SHAME!

4 Likes

Dobt do it, OP! Ret for life!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Just go holy shock build, I remember dudes one-shotting people with it back in the day

level 52 is exactly when you would expect to make that switch…It’s rational to be ret until about that level. Then the content requires either good healing gear or a proper spec to heal properly…Presumably you’ve healed some. Can also get by with slamming consumes all instance but that’s expensive relative to a respec.

There isn’t really a rotation to hpala…Just be as mana efficient as you can without putting ur teammates at risk.

Cast blessing of protection when sum1 who shoudnt have agro does…etc

None of the healing classes have anythign close to a rotation in 40 man or 5 man

Usually flash, holy is rare.

Divine Favor occasionally to power up heal.

Cleanse… you know that one.

Yeah, I was holy for about 2 years before switching to ret. To heal as a paladin, I used mostly flash of light. I had 2 ranks of Holy light on in case I needed bigger heals. In the end, it felt like I was playing whack-a-mole. Once I switched to ret, I never went back. I’ll still stop my attacks for clinch heals, buffs, cleanses, etc. But in the end, I have more fun as ret!

1 Like

2 , maybe 3 ranks of flash
1 max rank holy
divine favor
cleanse
and maybe, just maybe Holy Shock
besides blessings and auras thats bassically it

Just go 30 ret 21 holy. It has all the important holy talents for mindlessly pushing flash of light for 2 hours.

2 Likes

I’d tell you it’s time to make the switch from meme spec to dream spec, but I cant talk since I raid as shadow, so don’t let your memes be dreams.

4 Likes

tbh, you shoulda have rolled on healing gear and ret. thats what i did and it worked out p well. have a healing set and dps set as holy so im basically a shockadin with the dps gear. but from now on start rolling on healing gear. believe me, holy is much more viable than ret and its really fun imo. fav healing class in the game for sure

Time to find a new guild. Unless they plan on paying your sub fees tell them to stuff it and guild quit, this is Not 2005, they knew you were ret and knew your limitations!!!

2 Likes

You can be an effective healer and stay Ret prio given the provided talent trees.

21/0/30 - everybody wins :coffee:

2 Likes