Ret M+ How to not pull aggro?

During burst windows, I keep ripping aggro from my tank friend (druid bear tank). Even though I wait till mid-pull to let him build aggro, I still rip it, and without bubble or bop, things get spooky scary.

Thoughts??

1 Like

We just don’t get to play the game like other people.

2 Likes

Same issues with arms or fury warriors, just let the tank get everything together and spend a couple GCDS for threat before popping CDs. It feels bad and is inconvenient but better then being in the dirt for the pull.

This is a tanking issue at the point unfortunately

3 Likes

Yea :-/ agreed. Even when I wait, it still happens. Guess it’s back to prot/holy!

Dying is a great aggro drop for when your preemptive bubble is on CD :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

It really does vary from tank to tank. I’ve had tanks where I only have to wait a second or so to pop every cooldown and i’ve had tanks where one divine storm without cooldowns is enough to have threat on me

1 Like

I count to 5.

1 Like

Still doesn’t help, I pull aggro no matter how long I wait. When your bursting 20-25k for 15 secs it’s hard not to pull aggro. I typically just bubble so I don’t my face smashed and the tank usually taunts to regain aggro. Imo tank dps or threat needs to be buffed.

1 Like

i also hate it aggro should not be a thing they should go back to legion aggro

there a reason you’re not just bubbling/BoPing during burst windows?

another solution could be to give your tank a heads up of when you’re going to pop CDs so he can tank around that.

I do use Bubble & BoP, but it’s not always up.

I have had issues with this as well. I can wait as long as I like for my tank to get initial aggro, the moment I use Divine Storm it’s game over. There are times I joke that Divine Storm is the best taunt in the game. It is not a problem 100% of the time, but it’s absolutely infuriating when it happens, especially when i look to my left and there’s a DH going full ham without any aggro at all. And in my case, no, it is not a targeting problem either. I could almost swear that someone at Blizz was working late, got drunk, and accidentally added an increased threat modifier to DS.

1 Like

I’d say your best bet is to actually test it out and get some numbers. Like get yourself setup to use DS, find a solo enemy that DS won’t kill outright, make sure not to hit it with regular melee swings (you can turn away for this) and use DS to strike the enemy once. If you use a damage meter and a threat meter addon (or macro) you can see how much threat the attack did vs the damage it did. That’ll tell you for sure.

I know people are saying they can wait forever and it still pulls aggro, but I feel like maybe there is still a crossover point for that. I mean like, if you wait until all the enemies are at half health and then cast divine storm does it rip all the enemies off the tank immediately? Note: I’m not suggesting it is fun waiting that long or that one should, just trying to get a more numerical idea of how/where/when it rips threat and when it doesn’t.

Remember, for a bear tank, AoE aggro takes time. Thrash, our main AoE agro is a 6s CD. Swipe, the filler, is junk for agro. Its a spammable filler that doesn’t amount to much.

Now you combine that with the fact that occasionlly some pulls end up with a mob outside of thrash range on the pull and you can kiss that one goodbye.

Not sure of the right answer, but just something to consider. Count to at least 7.

1 Like