Ret: Beating DH, DK, and Monk in PvP

How do YOU do it?

I’m trying to get some constructive feedback because these classes pretty much always tend to wreck my face no matter what I seem to do.

Realistically, I know I’m probably wasting my time on DHs because of how ridiculously overtuned they are, but what about the others?

DKs are especially annoying because they’re pretty much unstunnable due to Icebound Fortitude and the PvP dispel. That, and they can just soak up a bunch of my burst with an Anti-Magic Shield that they can use far more frequently than I can Divine Shield which also gives them more runic power to smash my face.

Is there a specific way of getting around this or mitigating its effectiveness?

As for Monks, they can essentially nail my foot to the floor with snares while they can easily keep themselves at arms length if they want. If I don’t have Divine Shield, I’m essentially dead because they’ll immediately apply ToK which will pretty much make them invincible to damage and smash me right back in the face with my own damage if I bother hitting them.

And forget about running away until the duration is gone, it’s pretty much impossible to maintain any distance with only HoF and a pathetic 3 sec speed boost that is immediately made worthless if you’re snared.

Bursting them down is nigh impossible because of said ToK and if they don’t have it available, they can easily just run away when I pop Wings and I will never be able to catch them because of their insane mobility.

How do you do it?

1 Like

You don’t, that’s why there are barely any high ranked rets at all this season.

3 Likes

It can be negated by Blessing of Protection, so you can burst straight thru it.

For Unholy DKs I use Wake of Ashes and Blinding Light on their pets to help limit their damage. Same for Monks when they use their Earth Wind and Fire ability, I just blind them.

But honestly just stack some Twilight Devastation, one level 3 and one level 2 should do the trick. Or even a Tentacle and just pray for RNGesus.

2 Likes

You talking about 2s or 3s? Strat varies but offering to give my insight.

1 Like

^
Exactly this… the only class we are guaranteed to flat out lose against imo is Frost mages but most mages are fire atm

Every mage spec is good atm, but they usually are. That’s not why there aren’t a lot of high rated Rets playing atm. It’s mostly due to a very stale meta and things like MLD being extremely common on top of our traditional comp (cupid) being not very good. That being said ret/warrior is very good atm and beats dh/dk and wwdk

Ret isn’t being played because cleave isn’t meta and we’re in pretty much all cleave comps

There are plenty of cleaves atm. As stated MLD is very popular atm which beats all melee cleaves and ret comps.

2 Likes

Yeahhhh the tournament last weekend I don’t remember any melee cleaves being played other than niche jungle.

TR =/= Ladder. For instance there was turbo played, along with two jungles. Turbo is absolutely awful on ladder, as Enhance is in a far worse state than Ret.

and on TR enhance performed better than ret. Rip Nlite, they didnt have ret/arms.

DH is a lost case in 2s. Never try to kill them. I play ret mw in 2s and we just let the dh sit on my mw while i use hand of hindrance and blade of justice on cooldown on dh to apply the slow on him and we do incap on dh into hoj into mw’s stun on healer with me and my mw drestagath with mini wings or wings depending of what is up.

So dh can’t reverse my hoj and double drestagath is so quick to kill that he will 100% not have time to cocoon it if i get some crit during wings. Works with rsham. Harder to do on rdruid if they play max range the whole game. But it you only need one good set up to win.

Same gameplay against Dk. You will be forced to sit on him most of the time because of chains. But if you get some sneaky goes on the mw he’ll be forced to trade some defensive. And you can chunk some good damage on the dk aswell if you keep it slow like he does to you.

Yeah nLite would have easily won that series if they had ret/warrior. Tbh I think they should have done ret/feral over cupid.

Never really tried ret feral so idk if its even good

I did it a little last season, was enjoyable, but I really dislike the vast majority of feral mains. Qued into it a bit this season and it’s pretty strong.

DH isn’t that complicated you kick eye beam stun them after Meta burst down kill.

Now first we need to address the gear. Main stat gems have never been that good in PvP and the fact that we now have stat amps they are probably the least valued gem. If you want more Str I would work on just improving item level, azerite etc.

However you are most definitely going to want to get Versa gems then versa amps. Most Rets in PvP are stacking tons of Versa so that way they hit like a truck with wings up. Which brings us to wings you need another AM for bigger burst.

You should be hitting 150k TV’s