Ret Bad At Mythic+?

Just looking over world of logs ret not in a super good spot for mythics. Can anyone else confirm?

1 Like

We’re not meta but doesn’t mean we are bad.

2 Likes

We don’t have uncapped AOE but we can stun/interrupt and we have strong burst.

2 Likes

We do have uncapped AoE, just not that much of it. Tbh the only thing that really beats me in AoE is like Fmage/WWmonk/Hunter/Ele.

however fire mage is beyond broken in M+… ill be doing like 40k and i look at mr mage doing 70K+

1 Like

I thought outlaw was really good at aoe?

Did most of my ksm with a ret buddy, they are actually quite good with all the tools they have. If you pug though it cam be rough being both melee and non meta.

Their single target lacks but they have more than enough damage, invuln, heals, etc

2 Likes

We are “meta-ish” or “sub meta” and as we get into higher item levels well become even stronger. When you see a Ret with 40% mastery, 25 verse AND 20 haste you’ll see a top 3 dps in game

2 Likes

It certainly seems it. Too much complaining from people in PVP. That always ruins a class.

1 Like

Ret suffers from one problem: Holy paladins exist. Holy palies are super meta right now both for healing with 0 need to drink and healer dps which can be significantly high. The reason hpal basically cucks Ret is because they bring the exact same toolkit minus an interrupt. In non hpal comps, having a ret can be amazing because bop is an amazing tool, bubble sac or SoV sac are amazing tank helpers on short cds from a dps, and there is a significant amount of offhealing from LoH as well as from WoG if the situation calls for it. The damage too while not ground breaking is very decent as Divine Toll allows for some frequent big aoe dps as well as decent enough ST. While their dps still doesn’t compare to boomkins, fire mages or UH DKs (the 3 meta specs) it isn’t far off either and considering you rarely do uncapped pulls in most non MDI mythic+ settings, even the 5 cap of DS gets work done.

As I said the problem right now is utility is replicated by hpal and it becomes more prudent then to bring alternate forms of utility so as not to stack (thus rogues are a very popular meta choice). Druid (whether double boomkin or bear boomkin or even resto boomkin) is one of those rare classes where you consider stacking them because the upsides outweigh the downsides. Paladins not so much.

3 Likes

Yeah I have saw holy doing good in a lot of mythic vids at first I was like “is that ret dps on the meter” then saw holy WTF lol.

2 Likes

Suffice to say, Ret Paladin in PvE has seldom existed within the meta. More often than not we float just below it, sometimes by a lot. The reason we’re “OP” in PvP is the same reason we struggle in PvE: our damage is high burst then middling consistent pressure.

We are designed to blow up a pull, then just kind of sit as a utility caster until our CDs are available again. It would be nice if they changed our kit to be more consistent and offer things that Prot and Holy don’t do already, however that is unlikely to happen. Being middle of the pack means you’re “balanced.”

2 Likes

I think this is one of the problems with pugs and rets is the toolkit ret brings needs an attentive player who thinks out side “stun, interrupt, big dam.” Being able to soak mechanics with DS, BoP other people, LoH in a pinch, aoe disorient if specced, free offheals, damage reduction across the group, Sac big hits on the tank, fear big slimes in PF, etc. There’s a lot rets bring that just doesn’t get used enough because so many DPS players don’t think outside the rigid “dps jobs,” they’re actually an excellent DPS+support.

If only there was some way to balance both separately (head slowly turns to look at the camera).

I wouldn’t know. I suck at DPSing in general!

lol

3 Minute LoH is pretty clutch, it’s basically up every other pull.

As OL main, while we are good at AoE, we aren’t particularly better at it. Rogues are also capped.
Boome and fmage are S-tier and no one, and I mean no one, can possibly ever beat them.

Every time I see a top Ret in these top hall of fame guilds in CN they are always and I mean ALWAYS top 5 or 7 dps playing against other “meta” classes and beating other classes that are considered “meta”. Every body is 225 ilvl or better. Everybody is parsing purple, orange, or yellow. EVERY ONE is pumping and the rets are RIGHT there.

Guilds dam near got mythic shriek wing at 30% BEFORE the first phase and rets are apart of that kill and NOT being carried any bit

We are great at Mythic+. I am always either top dps or 2nd on the list for my runs. The problem is that if you’re just… meh… then you don’t top the charts. I guess enough Rets are “meh” because it is difficult for me to get Mythic+ invites because people don’t think we provide enough dps. When I do get invites I will frequently get comments like, “Holy crap, I didn’t know pallies could pump out that much dps!” I’m ilvl 204 and I will consistently out dps 220+ players who aren’t pushing hard (even other Ret pallies). /shrug

Where I struggle to stay on the charts is in raids. Just not enough single-target dps even with legendary/final verdict.

I’m a Prot main but I do dabble in Ret pugging some stuff and raids on my other toon. Raids I find I keep up fairly well running Magistrate’s Judgement lego. The extra holy power usage procs allow me to shove out more damage. Not many people use it but I’ve even started running it in M+ for the extra utility and uptime on SoR for my Prot pally.

Iirc the ranged portion of the divine storm legendary is uncapped aoe. So the initial 5 around the paladin is capped by the next 20 yards are not capped