Resto Druid crippled by mana deficit

Resto Druids are crippled by mana shortages. Unlike my Priest which seems to have a an unending supply of mana, my Druid must stop his Mythic+ group three or four times per encounter to drink. Why? Apparently the developers are 1) trying to diminish Resto Druids from healing higher keys or they have 20 years on failed to understand the playstyle of a Druid healer: rolling hots. And rolling hots are a mana intensive mechanism. And there is no alternative playstyle for Restos; this is it. Rolling hots with the occasional cooldown and expensive Regrowths. Please Bilzzard; a talent or Mastery rework for Restos. Please.

2 Likes

Poor Rdruids :frowning:

They must be having the worst time in keys this season. I donā€™t know how they manage to do any m+. I just feel awful for them and Pvokers.

7 Likes

easy for you to say. you play mistweaver, the least mana-intensive healer of all. must be nice!

1 Like

its not that bad in dungeons
its actually silly how fast we burn through mana in raid
2x potion inhibitor is bis and even my RL noticed that we rdruids absolutely truck through our mana on a lot of fights

Iā€™m pretty happy overall with both my dungeon and raid performance, however a few thingsā€¦

• My mana usage in dungeons is pretty high; however, Iā€™m also a Night Elf and make liberal use of Shadowmeld + Drink. If I wasnā€™t playing that race Iā€™d imagine it would be much harder. Even then I quite often have to tell my group to look after themselves while Iā€™m sitting in the back chugging. For the entirety of Shadowlands thereā€™s been some mana restoring aspect of the seasonal affix that has completely mitigated this. I saw this coming this season for Resto Druids :slight_smile:
  • For raids, I actually kind of like consumables actually being a thing. Itā€™s interesting for me to manage my mana, utilize my innervate CDs, and use the sleepy pots. However, it is a bit of a bummer that this is not equal across all the classes haha. The Holy Paladin in the raid usually finishes a fight at 80% mana whereas Iā€™m running on fumes, and heā€™s out-healing me.

At the end of the day, I donā€™t think mana really should be a thing in M+. It just doesnā€™t fit with expectations and probably should be addressed. For raids, Iā€™m cool with mana being a resource, but it should probably be balanced :wink:

Also, nobody should have to choose between healing effectiveness and mana efficiency >.<
(This comment not directed at you, Lisereinne, but at some who posted before you.)

yeah you need to use consumes liberally
i dont run 2x inhibitor but i have 1 inhibitor embellishment + alch stone
i innervate on pull, when it runs out i pop chilled clarity, then innervate and clarity on cd whole fight. lifebloom uptime is something i need to work on weirdly enough (i keep it up religiously in dungeon but it falls a lot in raid. im usually like 85% uptime when i want way more)

i still oom and beg for symbol/whatever hpals do

1 Like

Similar for me, but itā€™s not really a priority in raids. Like, it helps, but unlike M+ all your healing doesnā€™t come from it. So I just keep it up on a tank when I have a spare cycle otherwise I donā€™t worry about it :slight_smile:

its mostly just for clearcasting

Canā€™t wait for season 2! Iā€™ll BE HUGE! My 2 set on beta atm is near 70k mana/min! This was after the 50% nerf.

Iā€™ll be the OP healer! Then all the Rdruids / Pvokers can bow down and kiss my panda FEET! Iā€™ll get all the key groups! They can sit and wait 20mins for a key! Muhahahahaaaaa

Probably get another 50% nerf I imagine.

2 Likes

Idk, I get mana returns from mindbender, solace and when a mob dies with my purge on itā€¦ Only time I drop below 50% is if Iā€™m feeling generous about healing avoidable damage.

1 Like

Ya but you see, blizzard hates druids. Ever since vanilla, anytime druids exceled for any length of time, they were nerfed into the ground. According to blizz a ā€˜hybridā€™ canā€™t perform as well as a ā€˜pureā€™ class. Even though the notion of a hybrid went out the window a LONG time agoā€¦

While they are very good, they arenā€™t nearly as OP as most think they are. Mana is a huge issue but blizzard doesnā€™t care in the least.

Holy Priests donā€™t have infinite mana. You have to actively work and manage it.

You have 3 minute Shadowfiend (about 25% mana return), 3 minute Symbol of Hope (10-18%, varies based on your mana pool size), and mobs dying with your DoT also restores 1% of your mana. If Iā€™m not dotting every single mob before they die Iā€™m actively punished for it. We donā€™t have an easy way to spread our dots like Disc does.

Then on boss fights if itā€™s 3.5-4 minutes long on Tyrannical Iā€™m literally almost completely out of mana by the end.

Iā€™m used to being at around 25-30% mana and itā€™s rare I run completely oom on trash.

1 Like

Youā€™re on drugs.

2 Likes

yeah i feel like only prevoker and rsham have ā€œinfiniteā€ mana. maybe hpal but dont know much about it

pretty much every other healer has to manage mana in dungeons. its only in raid that rdruid feels stupidly mana hungry

I wish!!!

Iā€™ve never had a mana issue in M+ or in raid as resto druid.

Even on mythic rasz we are finishing up intermission 2 and Iā€™m sitting around half mana with an average healing parse of 88-96 on the fight.

For M+ you just need to focus on your mana efficient abilities. CW, AS upkeep, pre rejuv > non clear cast regrowth, etc. Also, flourish and convoke are low cd abilities with no mana cost that can be used to extend mini ramps.

You should honestly never be casting regrowth without clearcasting procs, itā€™s a waste of mana. Even when you have innervate up you want to have a clearcasting proc for regrowth as it doesnā€™t consume the proc and makes regrowth heal for more.

There isnt anything mana intensive about m+ with druids, not even remotely. Put efflo down, put lifebloom on yourself and the tank, use regrowth instas on dps and wild growth/rejuv as needed. Pop convoke on big aoe dmg.

1 Like

That wasnā€™t really my experience. As we pushed into +20ā€™s I was using up more and more mana and would need to drink a lot more. Fortunately Iā€™m a Night Elf and so on most weeks, I can just make my own opportunity for drinking, but some weeks I couldnā€™t.

Prior to that +20 range though, yea it was totally fine because I didnā€™t have to work as hard, but the constant drain of keeping my hots spammed, SM/WG on CD, and trying to keep dots on everything adds up.

I checked your IO and it looks like youā€™re hitting the +16 range on your keys. Youā€™re quite close to when I noticed this a lot more, so Iā€™d be interested in your experiences as you go up a few more key levels.

The alternatives here are that Iā€™m bad, or that my team likes to step in bad more than yours and I have to heal them more. Haha could be any of the above :slight_smile:

Thats exactly what healers should have to do. I miss having to balance out my gear choices to ensure I had plenty of mana for an encounter as well as enough through-put to heal the damage. Having my mana regen attached to consumables, CD, and the occasion trinket instead of an actual stat on my gear I can balance, build and experiment with is boring.

main thing with rdruid is trusting your hots, using your cds early and often, and using innervate liberally

when i first started id only press innervate during emergencies, now i use it all the time. unless we have an upcoming pull/boss fight where running oom is a possibility i just use it close to on cd. figure you can get ~10ish uses throughout a run, not using it vs using it during a time where you wouldnt have spent much mana is just a different kind of waste

also the difference between a team with little/no offhealing and getting a comp like prot pal, shaman, and spriest is massive