Resto Advice!

Hello everyone.

I decided to try out a Resto shaman as my first healer since it seemed to be the most praised and hailed as a good class to get into healing on.

I really haven’t done a whole lot, yet. Just the regular slog through SL/Korthia but now I would like to focus on my gear and set up more before I get into group play. I’m looking for any and all advice on how you guys prioritize stats, what you’ve found works best, any macros, and just any tips and tricks you’d be willing to share with a new healer/shaman!

If you take the time answer any of this, TIA!

First thing as a new healer, you need an addon (if you don’t have one already). I like Healbot because it’s super easy to set up. But if you don’t want the elitists to look down their nose at you, you have to go with Clique (and spend two days setting it up instead of playing).

For a quick and dirty rundown of abilities, talents, stat priority, conduits and covenants, google “icy veins resto shaman easy mode”

My advice would be to not wait for gear before jumping into group play. Instead queue for normals or heroics (or even raid finder). There really is no substitute for live practice, and expectations are really low in those group modes. (If you weren’t already 60, I’d say start healing instances at level 10, and level entirely through instances).

Also, run Torghast as resto. It can be a slog at first, since we have no baseline AoE abilities, but you have access to the best, craziest, most fun powers available to shamans as resto.

And most importantly, remember, don’t panic. Have fun. And it’s not you, the tank fing sucks.

1 Like

What are you looking to do? M+ or Raid?

Raid is simple:

Crit/vers for stats ( as much as you can get) and necrolord covenant with Enemi soulbind. Run Primal Tide Core legendary in glove slot. Oversimplified version of how to heal: keep wellspring, riptide, cloudburst totem on CD and use Healing tide + spirit link + EWT during high dmg events. If everything is on Cd you’re pumping out some chain heals or healing waves. Don’t forget to keep flame shock up and use your free Lava burst procs for dmg. That’s the WAY over simplified version but once you are doing those things you can step up to really working on CBT ramps + wellspring bug + hitting some more damage.

M+ you’ll want to add haste/vers for a lot of slots and crit is still good here but want haste to pump out more damage. You’ll run Kyrian with raging vesper legendary in leg slot. And the milek soulbind.

Oversimplified M+ healing: you do as little healing as possible. I usually am only healing with rip tide + healing surge/wave and maybe a healing rain if everyone is stacked and taking dmg like on HOA shards or incin LT. Drop vesper on CD and pump dmg ASAP. Use capacitor totem to help stop dmg for a second so you can pump more dmg/healing. USE YOUR KICKS. That’s what makes rsham even stronger in m+ is the ability to stun every 30s and kick every 12s. I usually end 20+ keys around 6-7k dps and 4-5k HPS unless the group is terrible.

If you tell me which one you prefer I can go more in depth with talents/etc.

As far as addons you don’t really need any besides some sort of raid frames like either Grid or ElvUi. I honestly prefer using Maevey’s elvui profile because it’s exactly how I’d set it up myself. Also, some weak auras to track your abilities are about all you need. USE mouseover macros. It’s easily the best way to heal once you’re used to it. Set them up for nearly all of your healing abilities and use @cursor macros for things like healing rain/etc

Thanks for the response! It will be mainly mythic +, if I do plan to raid it won’t be for a while since my schedule is kind of crazy.

As for addons I am only really using Healbot, damage meters, and other little things that aren’t really important to actual game play. Would you recommend a different one or since I have this already set up should I just roll with it.

Again, I appreciate your time :slight_smile:

Imo drop healbot ASAP and Learn how to use mouseover macros. That’s literally my #1 advice. Get a good elvui profile and setup mouseovers and you’ll almost instantly become a better healer.

As far as talents in M+ they’re pretty straight forward with taking CBT, ascend, undulation, and capac CD

1 Like