Reroll for m+?

Coming off a long break. Looking to reroll to get into m+ for a bit before dragonlands, and I don’t care about meta, I care about fun. Would like something that can be equally fun in arena with friends. Right now, leaning towards melee dps or healer. Possibly both if I can keep up. Below are the choices I think have it narrowed down to. Feel free to make suggestions about specs outside what I list here

Feral
Dh
Rogue

Hpal
Priest(unsure of spec)

I do have a warlock main but casters just are not worth the effort it takes to keep up, no matter how cool they are. They always feel so awful until they’re geared and even then casting in m+ feels meh

1 Like

if fun is your main goal just pick whatever you think suits your playstyle the best…no one knows you better than you…is your goal to get portals? just ksm? or just get back into the game? all are fun, but some classes are going to be more challenging than others - especially if you’re joining the PUG community.

if you ask me, and you’re having trouble narrowing it down to a class because you find them equally fun - maybe start at which covenant you find most appealing first…then go from there, because some of those classes synergize better with one or two over the others. that might help you with your choice :100:

gl this season!

i dont really have a “playstyle” ive always bounced around so much. i prefer deeper classes usually, flashy stuff, hence the rogue/feral choice. thinking maybe DH because its so much simpler than im used to. but i definitely have issues saying “x is more fun than y” because i enjoy both. someone please just choose for me :frowning:

1 Like

I mean… You can not like casters all you want, and I’d recommend going for fun… But 2 of the lock specs are currently at the top of the DPS charts and are AMAZING for raid AND m+.

Otherwise, just choose who you want to have fun with.
If you’re looking for someone to tell you what to do, FOTW is Warlock right now.

Ironically my most up to date toon(cant really say main when i just came back) is a lock. I just dont “get” casting in pvp is a big reason for the switch. Can never seem to put out pressure vs melee, which are very common and its just frustrating. if i could get over that hurdle id probably delete every toon i have and play lock. but i only really enjoy affliction/demo. prefer fire or frost over destro personally.

I really dont dislike casters, its just that its more work than melee and i cant seem to figure it out to where it isn’t a hinderance on my damage.

If you’re looking to stay in the lower 20 range and lower, feral is a good choice. I’ve had a lot of fun on it and it’s good in pvp too.

Feral is really good in pvp but it’s not sought after for m+. However, +15s can be done on any spec.

I wouldnt be into much higher than 20 if I was really pushing anyways. At that point you’re asking for a headache playing anything that isn’t the best spec

You right. I’m not looking for a “poor me” here, I know mages are usually really good. This tier, however, people would prefer a hunter and a destrolock and just avoid the mages when you’re getting into 22s and above. I have to sit there and wait for quite some time before getting in.

This is BS group think, not true at all. Demon Hunters have kicks, CC, stuns, all the same buttons that are required for competent play.

You’re also melee so need to watch cleave and AE as well as do all mechanics that a caster does.

The only classes that anyone has any right to compare easy/difficult with a DH are Rogues and Warriors. Rogues yah might be more complex.

Pretty sure as a baseline, all specs are hard to play at a 23+ level. You can dumb down MOST specs significantly.

I mean just because you take it personally doesn’t mean it’s “bs group think” but ok.

I’ve played every class, dh has by far the easiest rotation except for hunter or ret, and melee doesn’t make mechanics harder, it makes them easier, especially when you have more mobility than Sylvanas.

Yall will really say anything to make your class seem deeper than it is. I’m not hating on DH, I was considering rolling one, but don’t be obnoxious.

2 Likes

Can we just stop with this notion? Its useless and worn out, if someone is asking just tell them what class is the strongest.

nah hard disagree, there’s not stopping me! :nerd_face:

anyway i think it’s true though…what happens when they nerf the meta thing? not very fun anymore right? just play around and pick what you like doing the best…that’s how you’ll get the most enjoyment out of this game imo

i picked my favorite class and haven’t ever felt the need to switch cuz it makes the game so enjoyable for me, regardless of where i stood in the meta (and yes, we’ve been down in low tiers before). same with my covenant choice - i never ever worry what the meta is doing. so if he asks for advice, i’ll give honest feedback based on my personal experience. :100:

Can we stop with the notion that meta is best in all scenarios. You’ll quite literally get more out of something you like then what’s meta. Unless, of course, you’re only goal in the game is to be the best. Anyone coming to the forums for opinions is unlikely to fall into that category.

If someone asked: Guardian or Vengeance and you answer, blood dk, you’re a pos. Full stop.

2 Likes

If I’m you I go rogue!

Rogue gets my vote, I haven’t played any of the specs you mentioned but of the 3 I would pick rogue #1 then dh then feral

Out of the melee you listed only DH are flashy.

Rogue and Druid have a huge kit, but if you’re looking at m+ and you think DH is overly simplistic, then you’ll be surprised to find that the top performing rogue spec in m+ is sub and it is literally 2 buttons.

However, if you are more focused on fun, then outlaw is where it’s at; but in contrast to sub’s 2 buttons, outlaw is all the buttons, all the time, all at once. Somehow, neither of those are exaggerations lmao.

The outlaw rotation has some priority logic to it if you get into it, but basically you keep pretty much everything on cooldown all the time:
SS, Dispatch, Pistol Shot, Ghostly Strike, Blade Flurry, Between the Eyes, Echoing Reprimand, Marked for Death, Adrenaline Rush, Slice and Dice, Roll the Bones, Vanish, Killing Spree.

You might be thinking, “yeah but some of those are like 1-3 min CD’s!” Technically yes. However, our legendary is invigorating shadowdust which reduces all your ability CD’s by 20 secs when you vanish and our passive Restless Blades reduces certain ability CD’s by 1 sec for each CP spent, and Echoing Repreimand anima-charges 4 cp’s to count as if they are a 7-point finisher (aka 28 seconds of cooldown by popping off 4 finishers with those anima-charged points).

So what it looks like in practice is your abilities are constantly coming off CD along with other plate spinning so you’re balancing what to press against all sorts of other windows. GS lasts for 10 seconds. KS is a 2sec ability, Blade Flurry lasts 12 seconds, RTB lasts 36 seconds. Free RTB buffs from Count the Odds conduit last 5 seconds or 10 seconds if activated from stealth, Slice n Dice lasts about 40 seconds unless you end up rolling attack speed buff a few times and it can end up having like 10 minutes of time on it or if you don’t roll that buff you’ll have to recast it every pull. MfD already resets on enemy death, but it will also be resetting in about 30sec (less if you have vanish).

You have to play it to see if you like it. I think it’s a ton of fun, probably the most fun I’ve had on any spec in all of WoW history. But you’ll do all that and do way less dps than sub or a warlock pressing rain of fire. Oh and people still will expect you to kick, blind, gouge, kidney shot, and use your defensives.

Yeah, but if you learn how to play a caster in PvP they are flat out dominant in 3s arena.

Learning curve is super high compared to melee, but boy is it worth it. I switched to caster in SL and I don’t see myself going back.

Fun is getting invited to content, that is much hard to have happen on non-meta classes.

Right now, it feels like the meta is stronger then ever given there are a few classes that are extremely overpowered.

My recommendation from your list is rogue.

My recommendation for a melee class is survival hunter.