Reputation gains while dead

I know you couldn’t get xp while dead. No idea about rep.

1 Like

I am curious. What mobs are you thinking of in regard to this question? I would wager it was changed as it is a clear abuse of the death mechanic.

I’m pretty sure OP is referring to timbermaw hold specifically. The offhand there has no level requirement and gives a decent chunk of Stam iirc, making it very valuable to twinks. You can be partied with a higher level on your twink and stay dead while he kills furbolgs so you can gain rep while not gaining xp.

4 Likes

^This.
It was a massive exploit for twinks that wanted the offhand. It had a massive heal.

2 Likes

Ah, an exploit worthy of nuking from space.

6 Likes

[Furbolg medicine pouch] classic.wowhead. com/item=16768/furbolg-medicine-pouch
+10 stam and 100 hp/sec for 10 sec heal with no lvl requirement.

2 Likes

I think it had a 30min cooldown.

It was 20 minutes.

They are restoring 1.12 so if it was there I imagine it’ll be there again. They said they wanted to keep integral bugs so even if it was an exploit they never fixed back in the day, it should exists now.

Part of me wants it to use myself and part of me doesn’t want it because I don’t want to have to deal with that.

[citation needed]

3 Likes

They are restoring DATA from 1.12, not code. The rep thing could well be a code fix in the generic code base rather than a piece of meta-data stored in the DB.

This reputation trick was also usable in TBC for the rep where you get the nether ray mount from. There was some item that twinks could get, I don’t remember what it was though.

The exalted trinket. Gave a crit and an AP boost when you killed a target.
It was hotfixed to require lvl 70.

if they release a classic: tbc, they will likely do the same as classic vanilla and choose a patch closer to the end of the xpac that had the least amount of bugs, the most development and end game content available without releasing content that would break the rest of the xpac, and i imagine exploits will be a target in both vanilla and tbc.

it sounds like a fun thing. i never got it originally but do recall someone who did have it, and was surprised it could be done. i did the timbermaw rep grind the old fashioned way, took like 3 weeks of grinding . finally got what i was after though - i wanted the timbermaw druid pet that would cast and heal and stuff.

1 Like

Hold on. Has this gain rep while dead even been changed in modern wow? Not that twinks need to worry about gaining XP in modern wow. You can still get this and they put a level req on the heal iirc. Not sure when or if I’m remembering right. Little tired.

I’m the OP.

This was not an exploit. This wasn’t changed until maybe after Cata. I can’t remember exactly when it was changed. But yes mobs that give reputation like Timbermaw Hold and Argent Dawn come to mind.

My fear is that this is something that they probably aren’t looking at because they are basically back engineering from the Legion client to mold it to the 1.12 version, which they have as a reference.

LoL, it is the very definition of an exploit. The timeframe of it changing does not remove the exploitative nature of it.

1 Like

What defines the “exploitative nature” of something is also subjective. I would argue, with the decline in fun in retail WOW this and many other things would be just one of many elements that are directly related retail WOW decline.

By your “very definition” many aspects of the game would be considered exploitative. Just because for example I decide to make full use of the Auction House and make a fortune where others don’t do the same thing, would be considered an exploit just the same.

Or If I decide to corner the Devilsaur market, etc, etc, you can name multiple “exploits” that are just part of the game.

It is entertaining seeing you attempt to tap-dance around it’s exploitative nature. Especially the comparison of literally gaining rep while DEAD to utilizing the auction house economy to make money.