Reporting damaging misinformation

Is reporting blatant misinformation on the forums that is damaging to the community and Blizzard a valid use of the report function? There has been a mass effort by trolls on the Classic WoW forum (as well as on Reddit) to convince players that they can ban each other with right-click reports.

This is quite obviously untrue, as such a system has never been shown to exist; bots regularly congregate outside of instances in Classic WoW with dozens of players reporting them for days on end and no “auto-ban” ever sends them offline.

I’ve been reporting these posts as “trolling” but I want to make sure that I’m not going to be the one losing my forum privileges if I’m using the report function incorrectly.

You’re fine. If it actually becomes an issue than one of the mods will ask you to stop.

3 Likes

Yeah, it a running narrative from malcontents that has been going on for a long while now. I stopped trying as they will flag you to oblivion as they are known to do.

Yes, a lot of them do it to troll. What gets me, is when you get a blue post showing them they are wrong, they counter the Blue is lying.

4 Likes

Some people will never ever believe Blizzard, or you, no matter what. The same type of campaign says that reporting bots/spammers does NOTHING so don’t bother.

Ironic at best. Some of it is malicious manipulation, some of it is intentional forum trolling.

Just report the most egregious ones.

5 Likes

The unfortunate result is that a large number of players are actually believing this nonsense. I’d wager that the majority of people that frequent Reddit and the Classic forum now believe this absurd conspiracy theory. I had to explain to my guild in a long monologue that it is not reasonable to believe, nor is there any substantiated evidence, that players can go around “banning” other players with right-click reports.

You would think people are smarter than to believe conspiracy theories, but it is 2020 and some people have gone back to medieval brains.

Reporting DOES escalate something to the top of the pile for review. GMs can make mistakes. But players can’t actually remove someone else from the game or from the forums.

6 Likes

How stupid an idea. If this were remotely true then why are there posts from players claiming that Blizzard does nothing about bot reports? If all it took was a group to mass-report, why aren’t they attacking bots?

Edit:
I’m meaning the idea from the posters and reddit users you mentioned, not meaning personally.

2 Likes

It is something that we’re actively trying to combat, Delimicus. While misunderstandings are understandable, especially with so much misinformation floating around out there, if it seems like someone is actively trying to mislead people… that would be a valid report our Moderation team can look into.

6 Likes

well, that’s good to know.

2 Likes