Reported. Reported! Gah

So basically…

Waaaaaaa I can’t treat people like poo…waaaaaaaaaa

Great news! You can still do this! I can assure you Blizzard isnt hovering over us watching our guild chats, if noone in your guild is gonna report you, say what you want!

Even if someone in the guild reports, Blizzard won’t do anything. As far as they’re concerned, guilds are moderated by officers and the guild lead.

If the guild officers/lead don’t like that language, then it’s up to the officers/lead to either tell the cursemonger to stop it or remove them from the guild. If they don’t mind that language then Blizzard isn’t going to intervene.

It’s the same case for party/raid and custom channels. Blizzard’s stance is if someone is behaving poorly in those environments it’s up to the leaders of those spaces to kick those people out.

1 Like

Sort of.

They do have an “at will” policy for Guild and other private group activities. BUT if someone really gets bad and gets reported Blizz will still action. They are not totally hands off. It has to be pretty bad though if Blizz would step in on Guild Chat.

The irony… you insulting people because they can’t hypothetically insult people.

:man_facepalming:

2 Likes

I would imagine threats, or things of that ilk, would still earn the ban hammer.

Those people are choosing to be stupid.

breaking news: people over 40 are considered adults!!! If you swear all the time in my workplace, you will end up being terminated. There is a time and place for swearing, if you dont understand that, you will lose your job in many places. I am ex military, I am comfortable with swearing but time and place! Unless you have severe tourettes syndrome you can do this.

5 Likes

That’s what I’m rebutting.

What you said is demonstrably false because I have a situation that falsifies it.

Subjective or not, if you make a claim like that it only takes one instance to disprove it.

You really need to stop stretching so far to support your own subjective claim.

Provide the underlying data for the “proof” that supports your claim perhaps or at least a precis of it.

Second, context matters. In the context of this game swearing, masked or otherwise, is not allowed. You agreed to that when you agreed to the EULA. There are NO circumstances where it is anything but inappropriate to the context of the game, period.

“…in the end, they are just words…” is garbage.

Words are expressed symbols of meaning and words have been weaponized more times in history than any other single thing. When you use them you are sharing that meaning with those who hear it. There are prohibited words in various contexts even in the freest of societies.

I don’t care what frame of mind they’re in. Unless they’re mentally ill or childishly immature, they can keep their profanity in check or they can get sanctioned.

To one degree or another, that is how the world works in civilized society.

3 Likes

Yeah, wow, the creativity there is… something, all right.

You might want to look up exactly what that means before you go blabbering about it.

Admittedly I am not an expert, but I’m not familiar with a tic that would cause someone to type out curse words and then hit enter.

2 Likes

To be honest, I have, here.

Is WoW a job?

People over 18 are considered adults. Used to be younger than that, but people are generally coddled now.

Yes, because video games are SERIOUS business. Time and place people!

I was referring to high end tourettes verbal expressioning. I have low end and it annoys me sometimes.

1. The game rules said no profanity.

2. The game rules have said no profanity since 2004.

3. You agreed not to use profanity.

4. Adults realize that if they don’t like the rules in a private space, they leave that space.

Expecting to enter a place then break the rules without consequences is, not wise.

So yes, time and place. Strangers in public, including in game, is not that place. Especially not when you AGREED not to do it.

4 Likes

no see you have it entirely wrong. it’s all about that free dome™ don’t you guys think we should tell blizzard employees about our free dome™

we should be having an intellectual debate on the crack down on your free dome™ because these rules simply didn’t exist before until all the freezie pops complained about the guy in diablo immoral who broke the rules in a video game livestream

/s

(my sarcasm is just about broken right about now, genuinely wish everyone the best of luck in life as they try to navigate this very concerning social contract that most people didn’t even bother to read in the first place)

with how insistant some people choose to be on the topic you’d think they expect blizzard to go out of their way to make an exception because they’re better than everyone else.

sometimes i do wonder, at what point do they catch on and finally realize that they’re not, and should just follow the rules like everyone else

2 Likes

Zug, I am not disagreeing with you. I will however, point out that you have made many eloquent posts in this and the BG forum without being insulting and without salty language. I feel this is proof that you understand the need for self control.

I believe that is because you have ideas, and you want to communicate. Communication is not only saying what you want to say, but the combination of what is said, how it is perceived, and how it is accepted. A person who wants to communicate wants to hear a response to better understand their own conclusions. They (you) welcome feedback with an eye to where their own logic may be thin. There is room for compromise, and even agreement.

We game in an environment where we encounter strangers every day. I personally feel that I want to make a good impression on strangers because without them, I would have no game to play. Should I become more familiar with another player, I might have more contact, and then maybe open up to a more casual form of interaction. Otherwise, using the least common denominator, I try to remain respectful toward people I don’t know. When someone comes at me with behavior I don’t like, I more often than not immediately don’t like them. I try my hardest to distance myself. It is not my job to do so, nor is it my obligation…it just makes my time in-game more tolerable. That does not mean that I haven’t had my moments, but I have learned how to choose them without becoming what I don’t like.

Ya’ know, there is an overused phrase that has been kicked around in the movies and tv a lot…and it is always a scene-stopper:

“Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?”

It really does apply.

1 Like

“Speak to your audience.”

No, but I kiss yours. BOOM!

I couldn’t resist.

/puts self in timeout

1 Like

Look out the window, I am on your lawn…

Yes, also, listen so you are sure they actually understand.

sprays you with a water bottle

1 Like