Replies do not differentiate

… between a reply to the OP or a reply to the poster just above the reply. It makes it even more frustrating when the quoted text is removed by the system for ~reasons~?

To clarify, unless you actually quote the OP’s text, there is no way to know what one replied to.

Both of these are standard functionality for the Discourse forum package.

You should be able to work around the quotation issue by only partially quoting a post. If I remember correctly System only removes total post quotes.

“Standard functionality” does not excuse a poorly thought out mechanism, on top of a horribly designed interface.

1 Like

With respect, those positions are both opinions - and thus subjective.

I wouldn’t agree with them changing the full quote setting. Nothing is worse than a blue post several paragraphs long being quoted entirely by multiple people who each respond with one or two sentences. Though I don’t see the harm in easing the restriction on replying to posts.

As it’s not my intention to derail your bug report, I’ll stop posting in this thread. But it may be worth bearing in mind that people won’t necessarily agree with your opinions, and you haven’t elaborated on why the current functionality should be changed.