Remember "glass cannons?"

I remember a time when certain classes, mainly mages and rogues, did significantly more DPS than other classes, but also took more damage. So by having to concentrate more effort to avoid damage, your actual DPS output would tend to equalize with other classes who could just stand still and hack away.

Now it seems as though a warrior swinging a sword will do roughly the same amount of damage to a mage in a cloth robe as he will do to a paladin in plate armor. Sometimes I felt like standing still and hacking away, while other times I wanted the thrill of staying alive. And I could do both by sometimes playing a warrior and sometimes playing a rogue.

Unlike many other posts here, I’m not screaming for change, or complaining about how the game is today, I’m simply reminiscing out loud.

8 Likes

I agree… but this game got much bigger problems of crisis levels that this kind of issues are peanuts. so, don’t count on being addressed any time in the near future… or distant future for that matter.

Yeah I don’t expect it to go back. I think Blizzard prefers it this way. Which is fine. Like I said, I’m just reminiscing.

Ahhhh the good old days. Yes. I am one with you in your outloud reminiscing.

That kind of flavor in play mechanics can be a lot of fun and really make a toon feel unique. Wish there was a bit more of that in WoW.

I wish combat was a bit faster like if every class was given a additional 10% haste, mini bloodlust. That would make combat pretty fun. Just an idea I had.

See, and that’s why I don’t like fury warrior anymore, because I feel like combat is too fast. But that’s good, because it makes the classes feel different. I like playing boomkin because the play style is slow and mellow.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s still to the point I have to kite but not that bad really. There are times I can just sit still and take it.

There was a since of immersion in the game at one point, with armor types, weapon types, your skills. Now it’s just given to you without a second thought. I Also am thinking out loud.

Yeah come to think of it, why do we even have different armor types any more? If you get a helm, it can just look like cloth if you are a mage, and it can look like plate if you are a warrior. I don’t think the stats are really any different any more.

Ah you have a point. I have very little experience playing a fury warrior, but that makes perfect sense. I believe i was thinking in terms of fire mages and ww monks. WW monk fist of fury hits like a warlock dot in terms of speed, but I wish it hit a demon Hunter eye beam, damage balanced of coarse.

1 Like

Even though I played fury warrior for years until they changed it, I was glad they made that change because they actually put the “fury” in fury warrior! If you like a slower warrior play style, you can just switch over to arms.

Yeah doesn’t really matter anymore. All they have to do is add intellect to plate armor (palidans) and good to go.
In endgame people hardly look at their gear anyways. Higher ilvl put it on, such a boring simplistic system really. But that’s just my two cents

1 Like

The game has been watered down quite a bit… Sadly

“GLASS CANNONS?”

You called?

/beg
/y Someone PLEASE save the squishy!

LOL now that only applies to undergeared tanks!

2 Likes

Because once upon a time, class balance was about playing a game of rock paper scissors. But too many people did not seem to understand or agree w/ that, so Blizzard changed classes in an attempt to homogenize them. Fast forward to today and well, you can see how that’s working out for them, including relevant feedback from today’s dev Q&A.

I dunna remember, back in the day, rogues being too glass cannony. Cannony, but not the glass part.

Really? When leveling my rogue 10 years ago, I always had to sap one mob because if two mobs ganged up on me, I was probably going to run away or die. I usually had to eat after every single encounter.

This^ So very much this.