Reinstate "Dislikes"

The same argument applies to the “like” button – it doesn’t provide any constructive response at all. You can express “like” by replying to the post.

Having a post buried by dislikes is basically showing the people on the forums that you don’t know what you are talking about and attracts trolls to dislike posts just because the options is there, which is what bizzard is trying to avoid. But if you think that bringing back the dislike system is gonna changed anything (which it won’t) then i can’t wait for it to come back one day (if it does) only to be shut down again.

1 Like

It doesn’t work that way, because liking something doesn’t require an argument. It implies agreement.

Actually I don’t know any such thing. I think a “dislike” button would shift reliance from the flag system as a “dislike” substitute.

Having the post buried is a separate issue. The entire object of my post is that the “dislike” button should be free of any “post burying.”

No post should be buried. But there’s no reason to disallow expression of “dislike” of a post.

au contraire:

This specific part

Dislike Button Removed

The old forums had the dislike button which did not exactly do what was intended. The old dislike button was originally intended for posts that were primarily troll posts (eventually hiding them). However, the dislike button was often used to mark a post that the person simply disliked for whatever reason.

Seems to indicate that the dislike button was indeed not for indicating disagreement but rather marking troll posts. Using it to indicate disagreement was an incorrect method for its use.

I get it. It says “Dislike”. Why in the world would it so unambiguously say “Dislike” if you were not meant to use it for that very reason. But there you go. The intent was not that you would use it to simply dislike a post.

That’s why it got removed. So you would have to use your words.

It wouldn’t, though.

Today’s cancel culture mandates that all dissenting opinion be shouted down and silenced. People don’t want to just register their disapproval, they want anything that challenges their worldview silenced and hidden away, lest it infect others and gain traction with the masses.

1 Like

That’s something you don’t have control over, it’s blizzards system and they can make it however they want. if people don’t like your post, then it’s gonna be buried in dislikes. And in all honesty if the dislike button was here today then this thread and your posts and be buried in them since you obviously don’t understand what’s being explain to you and you just want the dislike button back for the wrong reasons.

If anyone at discourse had a brain then it doesn’t have to bury anything, like the OP says. Just a simple “here’s how many likes it has and here’s how many dislikes it has, now discuss if you want” or neither. Then people can show their support or disagreement like we did before likes and dislikes and blizz can tally each post if they want.

1 Like

You’re right, there isn’t. Nor is the ability to express that dislike disallowed. It just requires the use of the ‘Reply’ button.

LOL

That was the claim.

Yet Blizzard never responded to questions about why the “like” button was not removed for the same reasons.

It’s obviously BS.

Since the rationale in the main, for removing the “dislike” button was that posts were getting buried and, as you point out, it was Blizzard’s system (it isn’t now) Blizzard could have eliminated the mechanism that “buried” disliked posts, the entire claim is and was bogus.

And now with Discord, “flagged” posts get buried and therefore flags are being used like “dislikes.”

This post was prompted by my seeing over a dozen OPs buried, and at least half a dozen comments within a thread. Flagging is getting epidemic and it needs to stop.

Returning the “Dislike” button without the post burying effect would help, imho.

But you can “like” a post without replying, which seems arbitrary.

1 Like

Its obviously because likes are just the same as the post they are liking. And the linked text isn’t really a claim, that’s the actual reasoning officially provided.

But you seem to be unmoved by the official position on the matter.

ok… fair enough.

This is a forum. You get to make your points and other people get to disagree actively if they want to. Or they can like your posts, effectively saying the same thing as you say. Both options are there.

I am just repeating myself at this point, so I will bow out and wish you a good evening.

So remove the ‘like’ button. Force people to engage. If they want to express their opinion of a post, make them actually express their opinion.

2 Likes

Again, you can express simple disagreement by pressing “dislike,” just as you can express agreement with a “like.” There’s no rational basis for requiring an explanation in one case and not the other.

THIS.

1 Like

Things got flagged anyway.

There’s no dislike because it’s the same result anyway, it’s just easier to keep track of who actually likes what now.

I don’t think the dislike return would be good or positive.
Dislike would be a gunfighter on all sides.

The level of revenge, resentment and hostility and trolling are exacerbated in BfA, to the point that people abuse the reporting system, which can be undone by GMs.

If a single button click is enough to show support, then it should be enough to show disdain.

There isn’t enough time left before the sun explodes to address every deserving post with a dissertation on why a given post is bad and should feel bad.

2 Likes

Except that has nothing to do with topic at hand. I mean, that’s fine. I have no problem with an ignore feature. But it does nothing for the current topic of likes and dislikes.