[REDACTED] Returns! (SPOILERS)

Nonsensical nonsense to avoid people from getting spoiled just by mousing over the topic. Dobedobedobedo. Ladedadoda.
fgjhfghngfshgfhgf
hgfhgfdhgfhgfdhgfhgfdhfdh
Blepblopblorp.
dfghgfdhgfhgfdhgfhgfhgfdhgf
hgfhgfhgfdhgfhgfhfgdhtrfhtrejfghjfgdhj

Okay! So, that new Thrall model being datamined. Cool. The model looks nice, I like the throwback to his Frostwolf heritage and he finally grew his hair back after mysteriously shaving it off for WoD.
I know that Thrall has left a sour taste in many peopleā€™s mouths over the years with the Green Jesus meme and stealing our Deathwing and Garrosh kills. I personally have mixed feelings myself. However, letā€™s keep in mind, Thrall has diminished elemental power becauseā€¦ He feels bad over Garrosh? Also, we broke his Doomhammer. So I doubt heā€™ll be the big man on campus throwing around his elemental power like he was since Cata.
Also, I am kind of glad Metzan is returning for voicework because the dude is a pretty good voice actor, and if heā€™s returning to do Thrall voicework, maybe he can do some Varian voicework in the future.

As a sidenote, I REALLY hope heā€™s salty towards Shaman players for breaking his hammer. I would just find that hilarious.

I really want to hear what everybody else thinks of not only Thrallā€™s new model, but him returning and Metzan returning for voicework.

5 Likes

Iā€™m ecstatic. Iā€™ve always loved Thrall, he was my hero as a 9 year old nerd, and still is. Iā€™ve always admired Metzen a lot too, as a person. He seems like a straight shooter and good guy, and I think him being involved in any way can only be a good thing at the moment.

Iā€™m getting that in before all the ā€œI would rather set my own children on fire irl than have him backā€ dramatics set in.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve never understood the hate for him, nor have I ever understood the ā€œhe stole out kills!ā€ stuff.

Give me a meaningful cinematic of a major NPC finishing off a major baddie over an ingame cutscene of the same baddie slumping over any day of the week.

I still go back and watch the Thrall vs Garrosh cinematic from WoD every now and then.

3 Likes

I find Chris Metzen to be my Tolkien in terms of role model. He never stopped doing what he loved, and his passion made him a fortune. He knew how to write a story and keep you hooked, even if you think otherwise. He knows that thereā€™s more to life than working at a droll job and letting your brain turn to mush.

Without going on for five years, letā€™s just say that Iā€™m excited - really excited - to see whatā€™s up. At the same time, Iā€™m still embittered and worried about where BfA is going to take us. Thrall isnā€™t safe.

3 Likes

I never really played through WoD.
:frowning:

Personally, I would just like to state I am excited for Thrallā€™s return. Itā€™s great heā€™s coming in to help instead of being forever lost in the lands of forgotten characters.
If his model is anything to go by, I think thisā€™ll be a really cool iteration of Thrall and kind of a return to roots for him. I also love the throwbacks to his Frostwolf heritage, hinting that maybe ever since we got Doomhammer, Thrallā€™s been spending time with the Frostwolves on Azeroth. Although I am worried that he could bite the bullet this expansion. Weā€™re going to need big emotional deaths to rally behind and my list for that now has Thrall on it. Right under Malfurion and Saurfang. If Thrall does go out, I would want him going out trying to save the Hordeā€™s ideals and honor.

I also have nothing but love and respect for Metzan, the man is a legend, and I hope he stays on and continues to do voicework for characters, not just at Blizzard, but just voicework in general.

4 Likes

The hate for Thrall comes from the fact that he subsumes entire stories to make them all about his manpain and forces players to be his oafish sidekick.

He should stay gone.

1 Like

Iā€™mā€¦ Over the character? Is about the best way I could put it. Metzen seems like a pretty cool dude, and if for no other reason, itā€™ll be nostalgic to hear Thrall voice again.

But I dunno. I liked the idea of Thrall, I liked a lot of what came out of Warcraft 3 and era. The setting has changed a whole lot since then, though. The things I liked a lot about these characters I gradually came to understand were shallow at best, or made up at worst.

I donā€™t have any, like, particular hate or distaste for him coming back. If it indicates a turning point so weā€™re getting out of this Sylvanas nonsense, thatā€™s a plus. It doesnā€™t do much for me though, and arguably I feel like thatā€™s almost as bad as if I did have any strong negative vibes.

But Iā€™m already unsubbed so what does my opinion matter.

Non-sarcastically, what is manpain? I see that used a lot here and I genuinely donā€™t know .-.

1 Like

Manpain is basically a catch-all descriptor for agonizing over traditionally masculine concepts at the cost of exploring other emotions.

Thrall feeling desolate and powerless as he sat on the steps of Undercity and reflected how all his work to redeem the Horde couldnā€™t stop the Wrathgate was emotional growth.

Thrall lamenting how the Horde has lost its honor after heā€™s massacred Korā€™kron is Manpain.

4 Likes

Is honor traditionally masculine? Iā€™ve never really considered it along gender lines.

1 Like

I have always loved Thrall as a character, and Thrallā€™s Horde, while before my RP days, was in my opinion the best incarnation of the Horde this game has ever seen. He deliberately tried to get them AWAY from their violent bloodlusty days, and simply build a home for his people to live in peace.

The way I see it, heā€™s more than made up for the green Jesus days. Since Cata weā€™ve seen nothing but Thrallā€™s mistakes, and his gradual loss of pretty much everything, from his leadership to his powers. Heā€™s been broken right down, just like the Horde. If anyoneā€™s going to be able to build it back up again, itā€™s him.

Thrall has my vote.

5 Likes

Has he, though? I donā€™t think weā€™ve actually seen him atone for his mistakes. The one time he was confronted with the truth of the situation, he denied it and killed the guy who accused him.

Heā€™s been imprisoned, beat up, and overall ostracized every time weā€™ve seen him since Cataclysm. And inā€¦ I believe it was War Crimes, while he holds Garrosh accountable for his own actions- because heā€™s an adult man- he acknowledged that he wasnā€™t someone who ever should have been in that position, and heā€™ll always regret making that choice.

3 Likes

When was he imprisoned or beat up? War Crimes was nice, but it was also an extraneous source and directly contradicted when he kills Garrosh.

Are you referring to the Elemental Bonds subplot? Where the player was forced to see how he couldnā€™t express his emotions to settle down and have children and we were forced to watch his girlfriend, who has never done anything since, sort out his pain for him and then coerced to watch his wedding?

If that was painful for him, I assure you it was much more painful for us.

I suppose I canā€™t fault people for thinking Thrall has been redeemed, but part of me wonders if this isnā€™t just us settling for a Bad Character because weā€™ve had so many Terrible Characters.

Wouldnā€™t it be nice if we could have a Good Character for once?

Yay, Thrall. He looks neat too.

1 Like

That subplot was about his doubts and guilt for things like basically letting Baine get killed. It had nothing to do ā€œthe prison of marriageā€. And Aggra didnā€™t sort out his feelings for him, she helped him work through them, because she wasā€¦ yā€™know, his wife.

I think thatā€™s sweet, not ā€œmanpainā€.

Orā€¦ people like different things. It doesnā€™t have to be a subconscious fault in other people for you to dissect lol maybe they like something you donā€™t, and thatā€™s not something they need to be pitied for?

2 Likes

ā€¦no one said ā€˜prison?ā€™

No one said this, either.

This kind of reads like you saying people like Thrall because they donā€™t know any better.

And I know you didnā€™t say ā€œprisonā€ what does that have to do with anything. You mentioned it was about him being afraid to settle down and whatnot.

3 Likes