Recrafting question

Do the mats you used to create an item matter when recrafting an item?

I’ve got a crafter telling me they could’ve guaranteed a 5 star 418 helm but I used cheaper mats in the first craft, so now it’ll cost extra.

It’s confusing but it depends on the craft what rank mats you need.

If I wanna make a 405 staff, my skill is so high that I can use r1 mats and I’ll still be able to r5 craft it. Meanwhile a 418 staff requires me to have every skill boosting thing I can get.

The higher quality of mats you use the more it contributes to the quality of the craft by adding +skill. At certain skill levels you can use lower tier mats because your skill exceeds the skill required for that tier of a craft like in the example above about the 405 staff.

Most crafts at r5 are based on an inspiration proc. Which boosts your skill on an RNG roll since in some cases it’s hard or impossible to get the skill required for the guaranteed r5 craft. So it’s a r4 craft with a chance to proc r5. When you have no way of getting a r5 cause skill isn’t high enough and you have to rely on inspiration you may not need to use high quality mats because it would be a waste.

Example: (random numbers here: if r5 requires 300 skill and r4 requires 200 and I have 220 with full r1 mats, with inspiration having a chance to give me 75 more skill then 220+75 would be 295. 5 shy of r5. So If you use full r3 mats and that goes up to 270, then you are still relying on that inspiration proc regardless. The r3 mats would be a waste. You can use r1 mats with a few r2s to get it to 225+, so when the inspiration proc happens it gives you 300. Using that example anything above 225 is a waste unless you can guarantee a r5 proc without relying on inspiration proc.

A lot of other things contribute to skill too like your profession level 100/100. Your tools +more, illustrious insights +30. Etc. picture it a bar you need to fill up. Skill increases by these things, missives, embellishments, and the reagent that dictates ilvl all decrease it. Higher quality missives reduce the skill less.

So your skill as a crafter raises your chances to use less quality material and still easily meet the skill requirements for a r5 craft.

Edit: TLDR use crap r1 materials to initially craft, then use r3 materials to recraft to save money. But it may affect the total sum of skill given to the recraft because it retains the quality of mats in the initial craft. Unless the crafter can guarantee a r5 craft outright or with inspiration proc then ur fine.

2 Likes

So this was my understanding. I was using R3 mats on the recraft, and the crafter was telling me that because I used crappy mats on the initial craft, even though I was using R3 mats on my recraft, my recraft had a higher chance of failing because of the original mats used.

Which wasn’t my understanding of how this worked. I thought it would only care about current mats. Which were all maxed.

I’m pretty sure that’s wrong.

1 Like

It’s complicated and probably better to look at the Wowhead post regarding it from closer to launch, but tl:dr better materials is better outcome. If you used tier 1 mats the first time and tier 3 mats on a recraft that will only “partially” make up for not using tier 3 mats the first time and would take like 2-3 recrafts to get to the same point as if you started with tier 3.

It’s to circumvent using 1g tier 1 materials and recrafting with tier 3s since you need significantly less materials for recrafts (especially true for pieces that don’t require some items at all in recrafts).

1 Like

Yes. Recrafting will replace 40% of the items in the original craft to determine the skill. For example, if you craft that helmet with t2 mats originally, and then with t3 mats on the recraft, it will have 60% t2 mats and 40% t3 mats. If you then recraft it a 2nd with t3 mats, it would have 20% t2 mats and 80% t3 mats, but if you recrafted the 2nd with t2 mats instead, it would have 100% t2 mats and 0% t3 mats. There was a large blue post explaining it. Also 418 helms cannot be guaranteed without an insight unless you just aren’t using a missive on a life-bound helmet.

1 Like

No that’s not true at all. Your initial craft doesn’t matter. Your recraft with r3 mats and r3 missive is giving you the best shot and bridging the gap between what skill is needed for a r4 and r5.

It’s his inspiration % and what skill he gets from that proc is what will dictate wether or not he can hit the r5 craft. (There are points in most skill trees that increase the inspiration chance and skill bonus the crafter gets)

Mine is 37% to give me 75 bonus skill.

That is false, the mats used in the original craft do matter for the recraft.

1 Like

Not according to my crafting experience. But I may be wrong. I used r2 mats for my initial staff craft and hit the skill required with an illustrious insight to craft it at 418 last night, barely.

Yep, this was his explanation too. The why checks out too. I wonder if net-net it’s cheaper to fish for procs later or just pay premium the whole way through

please see this blue post. If you crafted with t2 mats originally, and then used t3 on the recraft, you would have 60% t2 mats and 40% t3 mats, which is in insight range for most non-embellished crafts

1 Like

This would make sense theoretically. But how would you get your spark back then if you messed that up?

For me I didn’t need to rely on the inspiration proc ti get 418 craft. But suppose I used r1 mats in the initial craft then maybe I’d be lower to have to rely on an inspiration proc instead of a guarantee.

Extra sparks are not required for recrafts.

1 Like

Yeah but what I meant was what if you wanted to use r3 in the initial craft? There is no way to rectify that then after the fact by somehow refunding the spark?

If you use t2 in the initial craft, and then think “oh no, I really wish I had used t3” it’s 3 recrafts with t3 mats to fix it. Recrafting only requires ~40% of the BOE mats, so it will replace 40% of the BOE mats. So you’d be 60/40 on t2/t3 the first time, then 20/80 the 2nd, and then 0/100 the 3rd

1 Like

Wow nice that’s good to know. I thought I knew it all. Still learning myself. So @Op find a skillful enough crafter with the proper bonuses to give you the best shot at a r5 proc of inspiration. Keep recrafting it until you hit it.

Reach back out to the original crafter, he most likely has advertised to you and others free crafts after the initial tip.

Keep re-crafting with ring three mats until it hits

And the crafter can also throw in in illustrious insight which costs 50 meddle. If you tip for it.

Edit: when you put in the personal order the crafter can whisper you the proc chance for what ranks and discuss the option of illustrious insight being added.

This isn’t always necessary either, anything above the inspiration threshold isn’t strictly necessary. So if the recipe has a 104 point inspire, and you are only 100 points off with the mats you send, it’s the same chance as if you were 31 points off. There is a hidden “bump up” mechanic if you are super duper close, that can add bonus chance, but it isn’t well documented or understood. I’ve seen one person say it’s within 10 skill of the next rank, and another person say it’s within 5% skill (~15-20 on most recipes)

1 Like

I’ve heard that too. Loving how complex the crafting is. I hope it’s not dumbed down in the future.

The only thing I currently hate is their bandaid fix to limiting 4 public orders per day. Cause of people getting orders insta filled.

2 Likes