Realm mergers in the future

We have? The last time Blizzard has released sub numbers was back in WoD. They stopped those numbers became irrelevant to shareholders.

So where are these numbers?

2 Likes

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

We have?

There is a rumor going around that it’s under 1 million now. But I have not seen anything official floating around that confirms any sort of number for WoW.

1 Like

My guess is he’s talking about the 20 something million MAU from the earnings call but >_>

1 Like

they should merge realms and idk how shards work/layers but if possible reduce them as well so world feels more lively. i been leveling my new main through story mode in SL. i literally see so few people if any even with flying ( i don’t have flying ). i go to oribos i see tons of people.

my guess is they do this and don’t want to remove these things because when a new expac drops it will cause latency issues and que times. of the entire expac duration though that is such a short time not even including people who quit and come back or only come to play the new expac for like the first month then quit.

3 Likes

Oh, but on topic :slight_smile:

You now what’d be cool is a population capped realm for high playtime players :thinking: If you play say 20+ hours a week you can make a character on that realm.

Completely agree. Shu’halo/Eitrigg are in a similar position. We were completely ignored last year during the realm connection frenzy, where other realms of similar size were favored for connections. I think my guild name on this character says it all.

Shameless plug - this is my thread on the topic.

3 Likes

Realm mergers will kill this game. Please stop asking for them.

Every MMO that has merged realms has started a chain reaction that ultimately kills the game, either outright, creating a complete shutdown, or resulting in a population dive so massive that only a tiny portion of the playerbase remains. Which is normally followed by the MMO going F2P.

It happened to Star Wars: The Old Republic
It happened to RIFT
It happened to Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning
It happened to Everquest and Everquest 2.
It happened to Age of Conan
It happened to Wildstar

It will happen to this MMO as well.

1 Like

Ummm… no?

They can create more Connections, but there really isn’t a good reason to take them out after they’ve been fully integrated into a new system.

I’m sorry you dislike the realm, but if you’re that unhappy, you’ll want to server transfer. Personal preference of the people talking in chat isn’t going to get a realm erased from your Connection.

Easy to say when you play on a full server like Moon Guard.

Like it or not, Blizzard has been merging realms since 2013. They are called Connected Realms. Blizzard merged a large amount of realms last year, but forgot quite a few.

3 Likes

Wildstar didn’t die from realm mergers. Wildstar died from incompetent management who were actively sabotaging their own developers and poor vision by focusing too much on sweaty try hards who thought that an mmo could be sustained on elitist mentality without catering to your bread and butter player-base aka casuals.

3 Likes

Merging is not the same as connecting.

Connecting realms preserves each realms community, doesn’t force name changes (for individual characters or guilds) and doesn’t destroy friends lists.

Merging realms does not preserve anything.

I know how Wildstar died, I played it from the day it launched to the day it shut down.

And the major population drops didn’t start until after the developers starting merging realms to save money.

Tomato, tomato. When I say “merging,” I mean connecting. It’s all semantics, and you’re picking apart arguments based on a small difference in a word’s meaning.

If I said connect all the realms, would you disagree?

1 Like

Connect realms? No I wouldn’t disagree, because it’s not a case of tomato tomato.

Let’s say you were named Shuhalo on your realm, and I was named Shuhalo on my realm. Then Blizzard decided to connect our realms. Nothing would change. You would still be Shuhalo, and you’d appear as Shuhalo-Shuhalo where as I would appear as Shuhalo-Moon Guard.

Let’s say we also had the same guild name, again your guild name would be Connect Our Realm Please-Shuhalo while my guild would be Connect Our Realm Please-Moon Guard. Again, there would be no changes. Any people you had on your friends list that weren’t Battle.Net or R.ID friends would also stay right where they are.

But here’s what happens in the case of a merger.

If your character is younger than my character, you would be forced to change your character name. If your guild was younger than my guild, your guild would be forced to change its name. Your realm community and mine would no longer exist as separate entities, so every guild you knew, unless they had unique names or older names, would be gone. Every character you knew, unless they had unique or older names would have their names changed.

Ultimately, it would alienate the players of the merged realms, and they’d quit, which is exactly what has happened every other time an MMO has merged realms.

If they do merge more realms it’s a sign they loosing subs big time sorry to say.

Okay, then connect every single realm in WoW until all realms have a healthy population.

I don’t care how Blizzard does it, but I want it to be done.

In my thread mentioned earlier (The last realm connection was over a year ago. When will we see more realm connections? - #19 by Wololo-shuhalo) I break down every realm/group of realms that haven’t been fully connected like other realms have.

I am not in favor of completely eliminating realms. But I would like Blizzard to continue connecting. This will be my crusade until I see my friends left behind on Shu’halo and Eitrigg be able to experience the game with a healthy realm population.

1 Like

But very easy to misinterpret and we have a lot of people around here who ask quite often for true mergers and not connections. Hence the issue.

Yep, connecting is fine, and IMO, Blizzard could stand to connect more low pop realms together along with some medium pop realms. I am 100% okay with that.

But I am 100% opposed to realm mergers. I’ve been playing MMOs long enough to see this pattern unfold over and over and over again. If they had done what Blizzard is doing, many of those MMOs would still be around today and with healthy populations.

1 Like

My realm could definitely use some more merges. I think my cluster already has 8 servers on it but there’s still like less than 100 people on at any given time. The only time I have a remote chance of talking to someone is if I’m in org general.

2 Likes

Uh oh, you just said the m-word.

1 Like